Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

hyd roller failure in gm race block

Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 AM
ZD1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default hyd roller failure in gm race block

Well I survived with out piston failure BUT the compcam hyd roller lifters were the only one for the block.

Retro hyd roller, link bar, 0.300 taller for block clearance, intake offset. The main difference is that these are taller for the block I am using.

Should I take this as a sign that I need solid roller?

Or is there another brand...quality ...good for 7k?

Or just chaulk it up to 1 in 16 ain't bad....and buy a cylinders set?
Old 04-10-2010, 09:18 AM
mr.beachcomber
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Are the retrofit roller lifters even rated for 7K RPM? Exactly what happened that caused the roller lifter to fail, e.g., lifter roller wheel separated or lifter collapsed at high RPM? Take pictures of the failure, contact CompCams Tech Support to see what they say.

Solid roller lifters should provide the additional stability you're looking for at 7K RPM provided you've matched the valve train components (especially the springs) to handle that RPM bracket.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,327 Likes on 1,057 Posts

I'm a solid roll person and use Crane Ultra Pro's I set my rev limiter to 7500 rpm and never give it much thought
Old 04-12-2010, 01:22 AM
ZD1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The lifter's hyd piston retaining clip came loss/fell of. The result is the lifter was allowed to pump up an additional. 375-.500". Thus when I did my comp check the offending cylinder measured zero psia. ..so I thought I broke a piston vs an open valve. I'll see about posting a pic when I get a real pc vice mytouch.

As far as rpm intentions, Rev limiter set to 6500...intent of the motor is a street/mean autoX / road course...strip is just a fun day thing. The motor is built to make smiles via torque-big heads/disp.

Knowing this i knew I was always on the hairy edge of hyd rollers.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Cstraub69
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Morel makes a high rpm billet body hyd roller lifter. They are designed for 7000 rpm plus. You will need to run around 220# on the seat for spring pressure.

Get notified of new replies

To hyd roller failure in gm race block

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: hyd roller failure in gm race block