Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Besides 36 base HP, Diff. Between LS2 and LS3

Old 04-20-2017, 06:49 AM
VetteNewby
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Besides 36 base HP, Diff. Between LS2 and LS3

I know there are a lot of threads discussing the difference between the LS2 and LS3. Besides the 36 base HP difference, and the .2 of displacement, what if any are the other major differences. I'm looking to buy a C6 and was thinking I wanted the LS3, but after seeing so many LS2's putting down the same or higher HP with the right mods, I'm wondering if I really need to retain myself to only looking for a LS3!!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:19 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

The steering wheel spokes and center console, the steering feel is improved on the ls3....and maybe the transmission code on the manual was different...

The price differential between an 08 and an 07 is minimal...

When I bought my 2008 c6 z51 manual back in nov of 2007 I could have saved five grand picking up the same color car, same options for about 5 grand less...

Sometimes it's not about the money....

But if your buying used and money is an issue...then by all means get the ls2 corvette...it's an amazing vehicle...

Besides if you really care about a few hp...you can always supercharge your ls2 to run right along with the c7 z06 for about 6 grand...

I prefer nearly stock vehicles with either engine...nearly stock run for many many miles...

I've got a 107k miles on my 2008 m6 z51 with nPP exhaust and just a few small mods over the years. I've owned it since new...this car has been utterly reliable and clearly the most reliable car I've owned over the past 40 years...

Fun fast good looking and reliable as well as inexpensive to maintain...

Just a great car...

For the money saved? I'd still suggest an LS3 z51 ....but the ls2 model is good too....

Just make sure to get the color car you want....and the transmission too...

Remember asking price versus selling price is two different things...
Old 04-20-2017, 07:28 AM
JerriVette
Race Director

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,177 Posts

Btw I'd recommend a higher mileage car for less money...they do not deteriorate like German cars with usage.....

Seriously if I were buying today a preowned corvette...I'd look more at the seller and his balance on using his sports car....than I would at mileage....and I'd pay less if I were buying a preowned car...

Those garage queens suck..the seals dry out....I'd rather spend less and get a car that was driven...

Jmo...I'm not a fan of garage queens.....and I sure as hell don't want to pay extra for it...

I have no intention of selling my corvette as it's been that reliable....and I expect it to run to 250k miles without much money thrown at it...

I'll sell it before then I'm sure....but the prices are so low...why even bother to sell other than I only have a two car garage..

My point is I wouldn't be afraid of mileage on these cars...they are not German ticking time bombs....

The corvettes are like the energizer bunny....they just keep running...

Ls2 or LS3 are fine powerplants.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerriVette:
89talon (05-31-2017), ChevyCam (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 12:16 PM
ChevyCam
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Picked up a 05 3LT with 80k for a song. Wouldnt think twice if I had to do it again after driving it home.

LS2 is a great platform and Corvettes are meant to be driven.

I'd look for the car that has your desired color, interior, transmission and feature package.

Good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Besides 36 base HP, Diff. Between LS2 and LS3

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Besides 36 base HP, Diff. Between LS2 and LS3