Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Alcohol injection in an NA motor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2018, 08:06 AM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Default Alcohol injection in an NA motor?

My C5 heads/cam LS1 has 11.6:1 static compression. Overall I'm extremely happy with it, but it does tend to ping when the weather's hot or the gas is not quite 93 octane. I'm planning on curing that with an alcohol injection kit.

My question is, how much potential is there for the alcohol to improve performance? Will a tune net a horsepower increase on an NA car? If so, by how much, roughly? I'm wondering if it's worth paying the bucks for a tune or if I should just putt the kit on the car and call it done.
Old 07-28-2018, 07:42 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

If you're going to add methanol you might just run E85. Provided it's readily available in your area.
Old 07-28-2018, 02:27 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevova
If you're going to add methanol you might just run E85. Provided it's readily available in your area.
In Texas? That's heresy!

Anyway, I can get VP Racing (also made in Texas) M1 methanol for $10 a gallon here and basically make my own brew for $5 a gallon.

So I've been doing some research and narrowed my choices down to two: Aquamist and Alkycontrol. Aquamist certainly seems to be the most advanced system, but I like the fact that Alkycontrol has a custom kit for the C5. I've also seen nothing but good comments on Julio's customer service.

Is Aquamist's controller and fast acting valve really that much better in the real world? What's their customer service like?
Old 08-25-2018, 12:50 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Never tried it. Was happy using a simple water injection (50/50 water and windshield washer fluid).
It does work & once installed cheap to keep up.

Get notified of new replies

To Alcohol injection in an NA motor?

Quick Reply: Alcohol injection in an NA motor?