Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Reason for selling modded Corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 05:04 PM
dclem
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Reason for selling modded Corvette

I've been shopping around for another Corvette. In my search, I've be in contact with at more than one seller that appears to have a nicely modified car with a lot of money invested that is selling. It's not odd that they are selling but when I've asked how many miles were on the mods, it seems the standard answer has been "about 1,000 miles". It's mind boggling to me that someone would spend so much money on modding a car to turn around and sell it after 1,000 miles. I've tried to think of why this would be the case. Maybe they decided it was too much? Maybe they didn't like as much as they thought? Maybe there's underlining issues/problems with the car now? Maybe they simply enjoy the process of modding and now are tired of that car and want something else?

Interested in hearing thoughts about this?
Old 05-08-2019, 05:56 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Interesting question.
If I sold my modded Corvette it would be because I'm burned out on working on it. It is like an addiction that eventually consumes you.

I drive my modified Corvettes almost daily. I really don't get the crowd that doesn't drive their modified cars. Maybe because of the quality of the build, rarity of parts involved, insurance limitations, etc. Everyone has their reasons I suppose. After all it is their time and money invested. That's my two cents.
Craig
Old 05-08-2019, 06:31 PM
myredhead1
Melting Slicks

Received 431 Likes on 356 Posts

Many people have an idea of what they want but after they get it, they realized that it’s not the dream that they thought it would be. A modded car is not always fun to use as a daily driver in normal traffic and road situations.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:06 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

^^^^^most mods dont deliver as promised..they get frustrated realize they will spend tons more and move on to something else.
Keeping up with the jonese gets pricy. Too many that dont spin wrenches here givehorrible advice, one follows another ....or a guy takes his first trip down the 1/4 after getting his hero dyno sheet and only runs a 13.
1000 could be true or not, I usually get a few hundred if Im lucky before it gets torn back apart for more.

Last edited by cv67; 05-15-2019 at 07:02 PM.
The following users liked this post:
bmans vette (06-30-2019)
Old 05-10-2019, 02:55 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,689 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I'm one who does get it.
I have built several cars, motorcycles, trucks and boats over the years.
I simply enjoy the build.
Once it is completed, I start looking for something else to play with and need to sell the one I just finished to fund a new project.
I'm already planning to build another 33 hot rod and I haven't even started the resto/mod of the 73 Corvette sitting in my garage.
I'm sure like the others that I will get the money I put into it back or maybe loose a little, all the labor will be lost time, which doesn't cost me a dime and someone will get a great deal.
bmans vette (06-30-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 07:19 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

My last car was a cam only 99 Z28. Ran 12.00. A4 with 3600 Yank and 3.73 gears. Would have been an easy daily driver. Had a 224r cam. Done right, a modded car can be daily driven. A lot of overcammed cars get sold.
Old 06-25-2019, 05:11 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Truth...
poster asks about cams, winds up being pushed to a too large one due to the way it sounds and a dyno sheet
Guy puts it in, gets his sheet, drives it awhile to find out it sucks, up goes the car for sale.

I get bored quick, enjoy the thrill of the build..always changing something. In fact the 25 yrs Ive had mine its seen less than a few thousand miles, apart more than it is running. lol
bmans vette (06-30-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 07:01 PM
farmington
Safety Car

Received 1,119 Likes on 798 Posts

Always better to undercam than overcam.

Get notified of new replies

To Reason for selling modded Corvette

Quick Reply: Reason for selling modded Corvette