Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 02:52 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem

Comp has a agreed to replace the lifters with new standard roller style, pay for shipping, and make up for the differance in cost. I will continue to use their products.

They also confirmended the problems with the Endurex lifter.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:04 PM
JUAN J SANCHEZ
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (69 N.O.X. RATT)

Does this have anything to do with hydraulic roller lifters for small block chevy? I'v been waiting for months for a set!
Old 01-08-2003, 10:08 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Location: Pettis Performance 565 with two stages of Nitrous Supply nitrous 1.082, 4.61 at 155, 7.17 at 192

Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (JUAN J SANCHEZ)

No, I far as I have ever heard there is no problem with the hydraulic rollers.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:12 AM
85vet
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (JUAN J SANCHEZ)

Does this have anything to do with hydraulic roller lifters for small block chevy? I'v been waiting for months for a set!
The wait is normal now. A major manufacturer of the rollers went out of business.

It took me about 5 1/2 weeks to receive a set of retro roller rockers for my 383 buildup.
Old 01-09-2003, 12:16 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,894 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (85vet)

Great news on Comp's handling of the issue. I know when I talked to them a couple of years ago about them, I got a real bad feeling. Seemed more of a marketing ploy than a genuine innovation.

They said if I ran low lift, low spring pressure roller they would live forever. That's cool, but the whole point of a performance roller is to have faster valve action and the ability to achieve high lift without excessive wear. Kind of defeats the purpose. I wanted a "weenie" cam I'd put in a regular solid flat tappet and go forever! I could install a good long lasting flat tappet that would spank that little roller all over the place.

Hopefully, someday we will have a roller setup that canlive a long time in HD applications. I guess it's Shubecks otherwise. Anyone running them yet?

JIM
Old 01-09-2003, 06:53 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 856 Likes on 627 Posts

Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (427Hotrod)

Hey Jim, all the generous time and help you have given me I can't understand why you didn't tell me I was using a "weenie" can. How could you? Just kidding Jim. Been meaning to e-mail you with a couple more questions. Happy New Year and I hope all is well. Bill. :seeya
Old 01-09-2003, 07:52 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (69ttop502)

Oh yeah........I've been meaning to tell you.........

You're OK.......In fact perfect......for the type of cam you need, it would be useless to spend the money to run a smaller street roller. The performance you are seeking is available in a dead reliable flat tappet.

That's what I meant....Comp would have you install a cam mild enough to make their Endurex rollers live. Kind of seems backwards to me?

I know you were just picking on me....sometimes I speak in language that other folks might take negatively!

Good luck with your project!

JIM
Old 01-09-2003, 08:32 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (427Hotrod)

Jim:

I agree there is no reason to run a solid roller on the street unless you are trying to squeeze the last little bit of your motor. Or if the motor is so big a solid flat tappet will not provide enough valve lift to compliment the big motor.

My last solid roller would get its butt kicked by an aggressive solid flat tappet. The one I have now is a pretty aggressive roller, hard to match with a streetable flat tappet.
Old 01-10-2003, 09:49 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 856 Likes on 627 Posts

Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (69 N.O.X. RATT)

Jim and 69 N.O.X. I know this is little off the subject but I was wondering if either of are familiar with the Schubeck lifters and cams. They are the composites that don't need break in and you can run roller type profiles without the rollers. The reason I ask is I came across an article on them in a year old magazine and wondered what someone with alot of knowledge and experience thought of the idea, if its an up and coming idea or not. Would seem to be an advantage if you could get the samp ramp profiles without having to worry about the rollers. I would be interested to hear what you think of them. I have never heard of anyone actually running one though. Bill.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:33 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (69ttop502)

I have not heard enough about them to have much of an opinion. Nobody I know uses them. They sound like a promising idea
Old 01-10-2003, 05:43 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

2017 C2 of Year Finalist

I don't know of anyone personally that runs them yet either. I think they hold real promise, but there are some issues. I'm eagerly waiting for the composite market to really take off and become affordable in the racing business. Can you imagine the killer lightweight stuff you could get?

Of course price is one issue...the first price I heard was in the $900 range for the lifters plus the cam has to be coated with a special process to run them too they said. I'm really not sure if you can have any cam coated or if you have to use a Shubeck proprietary deal. If so, I would guess choices might still be narrow.

IF they really hold up, the savings would pay for itself over the long run.

I guess I need to do some more homework!!!

JIM
Old 01-13-2003, 03:53 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Comp has a agreed to replace the lifters with new standard roller style, pay for shipping, and make up for the differance in cost. I will continue to use their products.

They also confirmended the problems with the Endurex lifter.
How can they know there is a problem with their product and continue to sell/market them? More importantly, how can you give them "kudos" for this and ever want to buy from them again?

I have one of their street roller cams (236/242 @.050) with the Endure-X lifters (888-16). This is in my good weather daily driven '69 and I've put 15k miles on this combo with no problems. I may pull my intake this weekend just to take a look.

As far as no reason to run a street roller, what is the disadvantage of solid street roller over a hyd roller (other than setting the lash)? The solids have slightly more agressive lobes than their hyd rollers while still allowing relatively light spring pressures.

I also don't understand how the hyd roller lifter can last forever while the solid ones can't.
Old 01-13-2003, 05:14 PM
69 N.O.X. RATT
Safety Car

Default Re: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem (BeaterShark)

Beatershark: You bring up some good points regarding selling a product that is having problems. Their argument would be we have guys like beatershark that have gone 15,000 miles on theses lifters, there is nothing wrong with them, get lost.

As far as no problems, are you running a small or big block, I am curiuos becasue I have not heard any problems with small blocks.

Hydraulics last longer because they are not subjected to the ramp opening rates of a solid roller and more importantly the hydraulics get oil down to the critical parts to lubricate them, the thing that killers solid rollers is lack of oil to the whell bearing and out wheel assembly.

The drawback to run a solid roller on the street is when one lets go, sometimes it will cause several thousand $ before you shut the mototr down. They do not allow for light spring pressures, they demand high spring pressures, this of couse is dependant on the lift, ramp rates, durations, rpm, etc. But as a rule the higher lift, rpm, etc, you must run high spring pressures. In most motors a hydraulic roller will make within a few % of the solid roller.
Old 01-13-2003, 06:08 PM
BeaterShark
Drifting

Beatershark: You bring up some good points regarding selling a product that is having problems. Their argument would be we have guys like beatershark that have gone 15,000 miles on theses lifters, there is nothing wrong with them, get lost.
Yeah, buy they are still giving away new set(s) of solid lifters and by putting out a bad product will destroy their name.
As far as no problems, are you running a small or big block, I am curiuos becasue I have not heard any problems with small blocks.
I'm running a small block, but I would think their basic design of the lifter would be the same for both ... I dunno

Hydraulics last longer because they are not subjected to the ramp opening rates of a solid roller and more importantly the hydraulics get oil down to the critical parts to lubricate them, the thing that killers solid rollers is lack of oil to the whell bearing and out wheel assembly.
I thought this is what the Endure-X rollers were to help out in. Maybe I just bought into the marketing hype. Also, if you look into the spring specs for the street lineup of the solid rollers (at least for the SBC), they are really not that bad (although I don't remember the exact numbers).
The drawback to run a solid roller on the street is when one lets go, sometimes it will cause several thousand $ before you shut the mototr down.
This is the same for the hyd roller.
They do not allow for light spring pressures, they demand high spring pressures, this of couse is dependant on the lift, ramp rates, durations, rpm, etc. But as a rule the higher lift, rpm, etc, you must run high spring pressures. In most motors a hydraulic roller will make within a few % of the solid roller.
Agreed, but my argument is that other than the extra maintenance, there is no disadvatage of running a "girl" solid roller. Compared to a hyd roller, it costs about the same, gives about the same performance, and gives you a reason to pull the valve covers every oil change.

[Modified by BeaterShark, 5:10 PM 1/13/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem

Quick Reply: Kudos to Comp regrading backing up the lifter problem