Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 03:36 PM
dsagers
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget?

Is this something that is really needed. I have never heard of new cams being a problem in BBC?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2400635008
Old 01-20-2003, 03:48 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget? (dsagers)

I have never seen this before. I have been running big blocks for over 30 years and other then preoil with an old distributor, and coat a new cam and lifters with proper assembly lube I have never had a problem or flattened a lobe.
I don't believe that kit is necessary and after break in are you to remove the kit?
Save your money but spend a little on proper assembly lube.
[img]>> > > >>>A mild-mannered man was tired of being bossed around by his
>>wife; so
>>he
>> > > >>>went
>> > > >>>to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist said he needed to build
>>his
>> > > >>>self-esteem,
>> > > >>>and so gave him a book on assertiveness, which he read on
>>the way
>>home.
>> > > >>>He
>> > > >>>had finished the book by the time he reached his house. The
>>man
>>stormed
>> > > >>>into
>> > > >>>the house and walked up to his wife. Pointing a finger in
>>her face,
>>he
>> > > >>>said,
>> > > >>>"From now on, I want you to know that *I* am the man of
>>this house,
>>and
>> > > >>>my
>> > > >>>word is law! I want you to prepare me a gourmet meal
>>tonight, and
>>when
>> > > >>>I'm
>> > > >>>finished eating my meal, I expect a sumptuous dessert
>>afterward.
>>Then,
>> > > >>>after
>> > > >>>dinner, you're going to draw me my bath so I can relax.
>>And, when I'm
>> > > >>>finished with my bath, guess who's going to dress me and
>>comb my
>>hair?"
>> > > >>>"The f//ling funeral director," said his wife.
Sorry about that but it was in my memory and got dumped here. Could have erased it but after reading it thought I would share.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:46 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Actually, the Chevy BB expert at my speed shop was just talking about the tendency for BB's to wipe out lobes on break-in. I don't know how widespread the problem is but it's apparently been enough that he's aware of it. Considering the cost & hassle of replacing a cam, I'd probably consider spending $40 on it if I knew for a fact that it did the job. It would especially be worth it to me to not have to break in a cam w/ single springs & then replace them w/ the proper springs afterwards. The key here is- If I knew for a FACT that it did what it's supposed to.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:34 PM
427Hotrod
Race Director

Received 1,895 Likes on 923 Posts
2020 C2 of the Year - Modified Winner
2020 Corvette of the Year (performance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019
2017 C2 of Year Finalist

Default Re: Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget? (norvalwilhelm)

Well, the concept isn't so unusual. I've seen inside some NASCAR small blocks where they drill directly into the oil galley and install "restrictor jets" into it so that oil is sprayed directly on each lifter.cam lobe. This sytem just does it from the top and I'm sure not as "correctly angled". I suppose it could help with low speed idling with high loads.

Of course all oil on a big block returns through those holes anyway, so it gets some lube from there.

I guess it's there with the Comp cams lifter bore grooving tool. You also see upper end lubrication systems where oil is supplied through tubes in valve covers.

Big blocks that have repeated cam failure issues usually stem from lifter bores out of whack. Factory tooling didn't have them super precise and as the load goes up or a roller is installed, it can get pretty bad. But it can be checked and corrected during rebuilds. Mopar small blocks and Hemi's have the same issues.

JIM
Old 01-21-2003, 02:31 AM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget? (427Hotrod)

I was wondering... why can't u just preoil by using an air ratchet on the crank or by hooking up the starter with the wires disconnected (or the fuel line for that matter) .... I find it more easy than finding an old distributor and fixing something up... Or are my ideas not good for an engine?
Old 01-21-2003, 08:09 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget? (Lohkay)

Lohkay. Your ideas are not good for an engine. Engines that do not start right away are candidates for wiping cam lobes. You install a cam with assembly lube then use a modified distributor with an electric drill to fill the oil galleries and filter, preset the timing and I prime the carb so when the starter is hit the motor should fire immediately. If you end up grinding the starter and the motor just turns over the assembly lube on the cam gets wiped off and a lobe gets destroyed.
Turning a motor over without wires is doing the same thing.
If you install this oiling system just to aid cam breakin what about the rest of the life of the motor. Forever you are loosing oil pressure through these lines and dumping it where it is not needed.
I always install the recommended springs with whatever cam I am installing and have done more then a dozen motors and never never have I lost a lobe. My maxumum life on a flat tapet cam was .648 and years later when I pulled and sold the cam all lobes were still in excellent shape.
So the trick to preventing lobe wipeout is proper assembly lube, proper timing, prime the carb and instant startup, bring the revs to about 2500 rpm and don't let it idle for the first 20 minutes.
Alot of lobes wiped out are blamed on this but in fact improper clearances like between the retainer and valve oil seal cause increased loads on the cam and that is responsible for wiped lobes not break in. Going through heads I have run into coil bind and retainer to seal clearances alot.
Norval
Old 01-23-2003, 12:05 AM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

you are going to put a lot of excess oil on the rotating assy which will cause a HP loss. the best way to do this is to EDM .020 holes in the bottom of lifters which put the oil at the interface of the cam and lifter. :chevy
Old 01-23-2003, 08:04 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget? (clem zahrobsky)

clem. That sounds like a good idea about EDM holes in the bottom of each lifter. The lifter body on hydraulics are full of oil but what about solids. They would need a oil path through them to get oil through the EDM hole.
Have you used and EDM. I have one to magnaport gun barrels.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:03 PM
Les
Race Director

At least one of the major cam companies sells "cool face" lifters, although I'm not sure who it is. They have holes machined into them that allow oil to pass through to the face of the lifter. I don't have any feedback on how much that helps though.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:13 PM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 856 Likes on 627 Posts

Default Re: Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget? (Les)

Les, Howards cams sells one of those that I think Eaton makes and also Crower. In fact you can send your lifters to Crower and they will drill the holes for 50 dollars. I may give it a try, especially since I have never broken in a cam before, I will need all the help I can get. Bill.
Old 01-24-2003, 09:00 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget? (69ttop502)

69ttop502. Don't sweat the cam breaking. Millions of cams are broken in daily. Just install the proper valve train parts, use the breakin lube supplied, don't crank the engine alot before it starts and everything will be fine.
My bigblock is on it's 8 th cam and no not because I had problems but because I like to try new things.
Once the engine starts just don't let it idle for the first 20 minutes.
These extra gimicks are not required.
If someone has a problem the chances are good that it was caused by something else and not a break in problem.
That something else will be spring bind, retainer to seal clearance, improper valve to piston clearnance or rocker arm bind on the rocker stud. Any of these and it might only be one cylinder or all of them.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:48 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 856 Likes on 627 Posts

Thanks Norval, I am still a couple of months away from getting this thing together but when I do I am sure I will have plenty of questions for you. Bill.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:45 PM
GregP
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 3 Posts

Funny this should come up, as the same thing surfaced on the Offshore board. Several people there mentioned that Keith Eickert (one of the best offshore engine builders if not THE best) has a special billet aluminum frame that mounts in the lfter valley and taps into the oil gallery to help keep solid rollers alive. They did mention you need to make sure you have enough oil pump to support the extra oiling, and I'm sure KE's part is much more high tech, but it seems the E-bay part is trying to follow along the same lines but in an "economy" mode. Actually, the guy thought the KE part was only about $75, so not much difference in price compared to the cost of a motor either.

-Greg
Old 01-25-2003, 12:25 AM
clem zahrobsky
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran

i haved used them to remove broken taps also. i have never tried hyd lifters because it may cause the lifter to bleed down under the spring pressure. chevy solid lifters are always full of oil so they work :chevy
Old 01-26-2003, 06:17 PM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget? (69ttop502)

Les, Howards cams sells one of those that I think Eaton makes and also Crower. In fact you can send your lifters to Crower and they will drill the holes for 50 dollars. I may give it a try, especially since I have never broken in a cam before, I will need all the help I can get. Bill.
Bill,
I wasn't trying too hard to find out who makes those since I'm not ready to swap cams yet, but you just saved me the trouble of looking when the time comes- THANKS :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget?

Quick Reply: Opinions on BBC cam oiling gadget?