Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

I may need some help picking a carb.

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 04:08 PM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default I may need some help picking a carb.

The Edelbrock 1904 that I've had for 120,000 miles now is needing some work,or replacement. I've concidered a Holley 3310S,and in the past had a 3310 on another engine.Everywhere you read about carbs says to use a vacuum secondary on a street engine,and favor mechanicals for the strip. The 406 I've built is street,but nasty enough for the strip. What are your thaughts as to which carb to choose?I'm looking for a 750cfm with a manual choke.
Old 01-25-2003, 12:25 AM
gdh
Le Mans Master

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Default Re: I may need some help picking a carb. (The Money Pit)

I am running the Holley 750 dp mech. and am very happy with it for both street and strip use. It still seems to be a big discussion topic of Holley vs Speed Demon vs Edlebrock vs Q-jet. With the Holley you just have to play with the jetting to get the right setup for your engine.
Old 01-26-2003, 01:51 PM
MoMo
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: I may need some help picking a carb. (gdh)

As far as design goes, I personally prefer the Holley design. I'm now running a BG Gold Claw double pumper on my 427 big block, and it's a wonderful carb. I've had no problems with it.

I feel that Holleys are sensitive to heat though, so you have to have good heat isolation, especially with aluminum intake.

If you jump on http://www.smokemup.com and go to their horsepower calculators, there is something in there about sizing up a carburetor cfm-wise for your engine and maximum rpm. That is important if you decide to run a double pumper type carb. You do want to size that ideally.
However, if you run a vacuum secondary carb, the engine will take how much fuel it needs, therefore, you can oversize the carb a little without adverse effects. Generally, vacuum secondary carbs are preferred for automatics, but I ran one on my manual small block Vette for years without problems.

You can run a vacuum secondary carb on the strip. Once it's set up right, wide open throttle on a vacuum secondary 750 cfm is the same as WOT on a double pumper 750 cfm. Generally, the double pumpers tend to have better throttle response, but in WOT, the butterflies are all the way open regardless of the design. So for the strip, either should work. For the street, during part throttle operation, that is totally up to your preference.

It's more a street issue than a strip issue, in my opinion.

Get notified of new replies

To I may need some help picking a carb.

Quick Reply: I may need some help picking a carb.