Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Need advice on torque converter selection - I'm completely in the dark on this

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 07:05 AM
914eener
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need advice on torque converter selection - I'm completely in the dark on this

I'm getting ready to install my cam (Comp 268H) and heads (Dart Iron Eagle 180cc runnners & 72cc chambers) on my 81 with stock rear end (2.82) and TH350. I'm thinking about upgrading the torque converter at the same time but I'm totally in the dark when it comes to torque converter selection. I don't even know what impact an increased stall speed will have on the driveability of the car, it's strictly a pleasure cruiser. Will it fel like a clutch slipping on a manual tranny or will I not even notice a change from stock?

Comp says this cam is on the far end of use with a stock converter and I think stock stall speed is 1400 - 1600. What would be a good upgraded converter to use with this combo and what stall speed. B&M makes a "Saturday Night Special" with stall of 2000rpm and I'm not sure I need to go above this rpm. I'm going to install a Transgo kit also to help with the shifting.

How much of a PITA will it be to change the converter with the engine out of the car? Any special tools needed or "tricks" I should know. About how long time wise should it take just to swap out the converters? Anything else I should replace while I'm in there (upgraded flexplate, etc.)?
Old 03-04-2003, 08:57 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,425 Likes on 1,032 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Need advice on torque converter selection - I'm completely in the dark on this (914eener)

What most people do is figure out where the engine makes its' peak torque number, and pick a stall speed 500-1000rpm below that.

But i would go with a 2200-2400 stall if this is just a street cruiser.
Old 03-07-2003, 01:49 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Need advice on torque converter selection - I'm completely in the dark on this (vader86)

2200-2400 would be satisfactory. With a hydraulic cam and at stop, or even a solid cam, the engine maintains a constant idle. A foot on the brake, release, and away you go. With out a stall converter at stop, the brake will pull the engine down and you will be pressing on the gas to maintain the idle. The converter solves this problem with performance camshafts. :cheers: :thumbs:
Old 03-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Need advice on torque converter selection - I'm completely in the dark on this (914eener)

Do you have a TH350C? If so that one has a lockup convertor. I dont have any knowledge of what to replace that one with. If you have a standard TH350, I would recomend a TCI "Break-A-Way" 11" convertor. it would put you in the 2200 to 2400 stall range. Hardley any ill effect on drivability with a mild convertor like this. On gental acceleration from a stop it will transmit power long before 2200rpm. Hold the brake and slam the gas while simultanously releasing the brake and you get the higher stall launch for good TQ from a dead stop.

Get notified of new replies

To Need advice on torque converter selection - I'm completely in the dark on this

Quick Reply: Need advice on torque converter selection - I'm completely in the dark on this