Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

What brand of valves in Edelbrock BB heads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 05:14 PM
Les
Race Director

Received 961 Likes on 571 Posts

Default What brand of valves in Edelbrock BB heads?

I'm looking at the closed chamber BB Edelbrock Performer heads- in talking to Edelbrock they won't tell me what kind of valves they use, only that they're made by an offshoot of Fererra. I can't find a thing in searching the net for info on Fererra, so I was wondering what you folks might know about that company in terms of quality & any associated names that they manufacture under. The valves are probably fine but I'm a bit concerned that they won't provide info on them or compare their quality to Manleys. I just want to know if I'm better off buying them bare & putting a known valve in or what? Thanks.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:41 AM
ZL1powr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: What brand of valves in Edelbrock BB heads? (Les)

The engine machine shop guy I use claims that Fererra valves are one of the best. He uses them in the circle track engines he builds for the local racing croud. I have them in my heads and have no issues.
Old 03-10-2003, 02:26 AM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: What brand of valves in Edelbrock BB heads? (ZL1powr)

ZL1powr,
I've seen Fererras in the catalogs & they look to be very good- & priced accordingly. I just wasn't sure what to think of the valves being an un-named offshoot(I like to know what I'm buying) but I've decided not to worry about it. I figure they must be pretty good wear-wise if Edelbrock will stake their reputation on them. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:43 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,068 Posts

The whole problem is only so many companies actualy make parts. Then they are then sold under many different brand names. The whole thing is built on trust even with Manley valves. Without lab testing do you know for sure if the $20 each valve is any different than the 9 dollar unit?

IMO small stem swirl polished valves are worth even penny. They are lighter and you don't have to resort to 4 angle valve jobs to get max flow. 10 degree locks and higher dollar keepers are an investment that also has never let me down.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:30 AM
arnold
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buyer beware! Here are some examples. Kelley Springfield makes (or made) Fleet & Farm auto tires. KS is a quality tire mfr. Does that mean all their tires are made to the same quality standards? Or are they made to a std. FF has requested and agreed to pay for? Quality Labs is probably thee premier oil filter mfr. They make filters for several brand names, such as Mobil 1, STP, Delco Ultraguard, K & N, and some Bosch. Does that mean they are the same filter, or made to each customer's specs? I'm confident you know the answer to that ?. Remember, the statement was, quote: "made by an OFFSHOOT of Fererra". Food for thot guys.

[Modified by arnold, 6:14 PM 3/11/2003]
Old 03-11-2003, 08:13 PM
Caboboy
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22
'23-'24

Just a little OT, but I recently had a new set of AFR small block heads done and I found out they had Fererra brand valves in them. Boy, was I pleasantly surprised :D I don't know if that's a standard for AFR, but I didn't order a valve upgrade............
Old 03-11-2003, 10:45 PM
No Go
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aren't the aluminum heads Chevrolet sells as GMPP stuff (like on their 502's) cast by Edelbrock and/or assembled by them?

:)
Old 03-12-2003, 03:05 AM
Les
Race Director

Default Re: What brand of valves in Edelbrock BB heads? (No Go)

Yes, Edelbrock makes the GMPP heads. Virtually the same thing w/ a couple of small differences. I was told that, after GM paid them to design the heads, the deal was that Edelbrock couldn't bring their version to market for a year(or maybe two). They should flow & perform almost identically.

Get notified of new replies

To What brand of valves in Edelbrock BB heads?

Quick Reply: What brand of valves in Edelbrock BB heads?