Engine Mods Outrageous Builds, High-Horsepower Modifications, strokers, and big cams for the Corvette

Defective Permatex RTV

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 01:14 AM
Cris
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Defective Permatex RTV

I just finished installing the intake manifold on my '66 small block. I sealed the end gaps with Permatex Ultra Grey RTV. Whenever I use an adhesive, I run a test bead on an index card to double check the cure. After the recommended 24 hour cure, the test bead was uncured, it had not even started to cure! (I'm an engineer by trade and have worked extensively with RTV's. The Permatex RTV's cure with moisture and the death of a good cure is heating an RTV and driving the moisture out prematurely.)

I then went out and bought Permatex's Blue RTV to try a test cure against the Ultra Grey. I even monitored the humidity and temperature. Sure enough the Blue RTV cured normally, the Ultra Grey did not even set up. Bottom line, I have to tear out the intake to replace the Ultra Grey RTV. (And I am trying to get ready for a race.) Uncured RTV floating around the inside of an engine would not be a good thing. I have a hard time believing Permatex made a defective batch. Anyone seen this problem before?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Re: Defective Permatex RTV (Cris)

I never use the grey, always the black or red, sometimes blue.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:07 AM
Fast Glass
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

RTV is a time controlled item in aviation. I think we keep it on the shelf for 12 months before we toss it in the trash. Even if the tube has never been opened. Now if it was a freshly bought tube, I would take it back to the place you bought it with the receipt, and the receipt for your new intake gaskets and ask for your money back.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:06 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

i tested some 10 year old RTV and it took a month to cure.
When i changed to oil pump on my 67 galaxie i used it on the oil pan since i only drive it once a month. worked OK.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:29 AM
Rebel w Cawz 2 B
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Defective Permatex RTV (Fast Glass)

RTV is a time controlled item in aviation. I think we keep it on the shelf for 12 months before we toss it in the trash. Even if the tube has never been opened. Now if it was a freshly bought tube, I would take it back to the place you bought it with the receipt, and the receipt for your new intake gaskets and ask for your money back.
Yeah, it shouldn't be too old. "First in, first out" (FIFO) has to be adhered to at the manufacturer sometimes too, though. I've seen (haven't we all?) where that rule wasn't adhered to.

Check the date on the tube. Do you still have the receipt?

"Some" RTVs seem to last longer than others. Ever seen the "clear" stuff come out of solution when a tube is first opened? Hmmm.

Just a thought.

Jeff
:flag
Old 06-23-2003, 12:41 PM
Cris
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Defective Permatex RTV (Fast Glass)

I haven't looked for the receipt, getting a refund for the $5.00 RTV is small potatoes compared to the hassle of pulling the intake off again. Doubt they'll send someone over to take care of that!

Most of the electronics companies I work for also pull any RTV's off the floor if they are more than 1 year old, although this is pretty conservative. I haven't looked at the fine print for a date on the Permatex tube. Seems like they should have a DO NOT USE AFTER X/X/XX in big letters. If Budweiser can do it, why can't Permatex?

Old 06-24-2003, 09:33 AM
ralph
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've used the gray once and it leaked. I found it didn't adhere to things as well as the black. So now it's black only for me.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:05 PM
WashingtonRacer
Pro

Default Re: Defective Permatex RTV (ralph)

Are there any inherent differences between the Red and black? or even blue?

Get notified of new replies

To Defective Permatex RTV

Quick Reply: Defective Permatex RTV