F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

1985 IROC Value

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 11:23 AM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Default 1985 IROC Value

What's the best way to determine fair market value of a very clean 22k mile original IROC? I'm sure there are some rough guidelines.
Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to help a friend via long distance.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:01 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Most venues such as kelly Blue Book or Edmunds wouldn't be a good place, especially if this is a really clean, rust free car. You might try browsing the Hemmings parts and car trader magazine.
Old 03-06-2007, 01:40 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it a TPI or a carb? A clean TPI car would be worth a fair amount, as the 3rd gen guys love clean, low milage cars. I would guess $7-9K. Realize this is a 23 year old car that only makes ~215 hp. If it is a carb, the value will be significantly less. Those models only had at most 190hp. I would guess $5-7K.

If he wants to fetch top price, ebay or thirdgen.org are the best places. 3rd gen prices have been fairly strong lately, which is surprising based on how slow most of them are compared to a 4th gen.
Old 03-06-2007, 02:07 PM
64roadster
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

After checking eBay I have a little better sense of what the market is willing to bear. $7 -9k appears to be right on.

Thanks for the quick responses.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:06 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

9k tops.

Dad traded in his 91 RS 305 5 speed, 23k miles, perfect, some tasteful mods, 7k.

I saw a 5k mileage 91 Z28 1LE, PERFECT save for a professional cage, had a documented racing history, super rare AC and Radio delete, all original... 13k on ebay.

I'm looking for a 91-92 V8 5 speed car. I LOVE third gens.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:38 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's in showroom perfect condition, I think $10-12k isn't unreasonable. If it's in less than showroom perfect condition, then 7-9k sounds right to me.

People don't want to believe that thirdgens are becoming valuable, but they are. As people my age who lusted after them as kids now have the means to buy their childhood dream cars, clean low mile thirdgens are starting to gain momentum.

It's hard to determine the value of an 85 IROC from a 92 RS. Two totally different cars. You can't determine the value of a 69 Z28 from 72 Supersport prices.

1LE cars are funny too. They're capable of commanding huge money, but one that's been raced and had permanent modifications is anybody's guess and again, won't help you determine the value of a stock IROC.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:22 PM
Iroczlover
Drifting

man you guys are thinking high. around here you can pick up a 85 iroc in show rooom shape for like 4 & I cant sell my 87 iroc with teh 350 in it for more than 2.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Iroczlover
man you guys are thinking high. around here you can pick up a 85 iroc in show rooom shape for like 4 & I cant sell my 87 iroc with teh 350 in it for more than 2.
I know it sounds stupid, but some people actually pay high prices for clean 3rd gens. Finding clean ones is getting harder and harder. I wouldn't ever pay that (and I had a 92 B4C/1LE!), but some people will.

Again, a TPI will command much higher value than a carb or TBI car. Z28's and Irocs are also worth a lot more than RS's.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:55 AM
CFHay
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Iroczlover
I wish i seen more Irocs in Wa matter of fact I dont see many camaros here at all
Old 03-26-2007, 02:36 PM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim85IROC
If it's in showroom perfect condition, I think $10-12k isn't unreasonable. If it's in less than showroom perfect condition, then 7-9k sounds right to me.

People don't want to believe that thirdgens are becoming valuable, but they are. As people my age who lusted after them as kids now have the means to buy their childhood dream cars, clean low mile thirdgens are starting to gain momentum.

It's hard to determine the value of an 85 IROC from a 92 RS. Two totally different cars. You can't determine the value of a 69 Z28 from 72 Supersport prices.

1LE cars are funny too. They're capable of commanding huge money, but one that's been raced and had permanent modifications is anybody's guess and again, won't help you determine the value of a stock IROC.

I agree with some of what you said... but first...

This will probably anger some 3rd gen owners here, but especially from what I see at thirdgen.org, what most 3rd gen owners consider a "clean" ride is hardly that. I've pretty much stopped browsing the classifieds because people will have their "mint" or "clean" 3rd gen for sale with red paint that has faded to pink and a rednecked interior. The interesting thing is that many people will agree on how "clean" or "mint" the car is!

I think the upper price range for a perfect example will be 20k on a 3rd gen. Here are things that will get it there:

1. All original - Finding an all-original 3rd gen is damn-near impossible.
2. Low mileage - Sub-50k miles on the original, maintained drivetrain is always a plus.
3. Condition - These cars aren't that old yet, so finding an unrestored one that has been perfectly maintained isn't impossible. Also, these cars are cheap to restore, so finding a stellar example is possible.
4. Year - This is where things get interesting. Some people (such as myself) prefer the 91-92 the most; others like the IROC years, or the very early 80s, etc. A lot of it has to do with styling preference and available options.
5. 5-speed - Sorry to all the nancies out there that don't understand a clutch pedal, but the reality is a 5-speed 3rd gen is much more desirable than an auto and always will be.
6. Options - This is where it gets interesting:
- 1LE - Always a huge plus, this was the showroom SCCA racer, and an extremely rare option to boot. This paired with a 5-speed and the AC and Radio delete can bring big money. Add in an actual racing history in the Player's Series along with low mileage and strong original condition and this will probably be the highest priced 3rd gen. They are hard to find and were only made from 89-92.
- B4C - This is an oddball package; it is the police highway pursuit package, typically mated to an auto-tranny. It's essentially like a Z28 but with less frills and a few stronger parts for cop use. Some people like this, others don't care.
- Z28 - Always a desirable option, adds the HO V8. The TPI and late model Z28s are more desirable.
- IROC - Basically the same as the Z28, just with a different name. Suffers from a stronger negative social stigma due to the extent of rednecked examples out there. Still desirable from a value standpoint.
- 25th Anniversary Edition - 1992, also the year with the lowest production.
- RS - Mostly an apperance package but can be had with a low output 305 and some other goodies. If found with some performance options, a 305, and 5-speed, and in great condition with low miles, an RS can bring good money.
- HARDTOP - This is one of those options most people don't get, but deleting the T-Tops was actually a rare occurrence. The hardtop can be very desirable to the right person due to better handling, easier upkeep, and the rarity.
- Misc Options - G92 LSD options, etc., can draw money and desirability.
- Color Combinations - Sorry to say but that ugly teal color isn't everyone's cup of tea! Traditional and sporty Camaro colors do the best - red, white, black, maroon. Couple the white or black with a red interior and expect a little more money.

One thing to keep in mind - if you're looking to do a project or a resto-rod, all that goes out the window. These cars are cheap and easy to build-up and get nice. Want an all original 91 Z28 but can't find a 5-speed? About 1000 dollars max will allow a clean swap of trannies. Looking to build a C6 killer at the drag strip? Just find a good body, drop in a crate, and have a blast. Looking for a great auto-x platform? Modify a V8 car's suspension and brakes and you'll be competitive. These cars are great platforms to build whatever is in your head...

I really want a 91-92 Camaro, V8 5-speed. I don't care if it's a Z28 or an RS (actually I might prefer an RS due to the spoiler difference). I'd like it damn near original, and then I'd do subtle mods to it and cruise. Make it white or black with a red interior
Old 03-26-2007, 04:21 PM
zhawk
Intermediate

Having 2 3rd gens, what you said makes sense KMK454. I can't stand poorly done work on any car and I have trying to fix someone crappily done wiring work. It just drives me nuts.

CFHay, you can check out the events schedule at PNWCC. Its a Camaro club.

BTW, if I broke any rules about linking, please forgive me and let me know.

Take care all.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:26 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by KMK454
- 1LE - Always a huge plus, this was the showroom SCCA racer, and an extremely rare option to boot. This paired with a 5-speed and the AC and Radio delete can bring big money. Add in an actual racing history in the Player's Series along with low mileage and strong original condition and this will probably be the highest priced 3rd gen. They are hard to find and were only made from 89-92.
- B4C - This is an oddball package; it is the police highway pursuit package, typically mated to an auto-tranny. It's essentially like a Z28 but with less frills and a few stronger parts for cop use. Some people like this, others don't care.
I had a 92 B4C/1LE, so I saw all of these parts first hand (1 of 589 for 92).

The 92 B4C also had the 1LE package. It got the 1LE brakes, 1LE springs, 1LE sway bars, 1LE bushings, but it had A/C. It was the only 3rd gen to get the 1LE goodies and have A/C. The only two things a 92 B4C did not have was the aluminum driveshaft and super-light spoked aluminum spare. The 92 B4C/1LE came in both 5 spd/305 and auto/350. All were TPI, but had RS badging instead of Z28. Mine was a 5 spd/305. 1LE cars were made from 88-92 for 3rd gens (only 4 in 88). B4C were made in 91 and 92, with 92 cars being much more desierable.

The 91 B4C did not get the 1LE brakes, which are arguably the best part of the 1LE package. Reportedly a few of the late 91's got the good brakes, but that is just a rumor.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Jim85IROC
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by KMK454
I agree with some of what you said... but first...

This will probably anger some 3rd gen owners here, but especially from what I see at thirdgen.org, what most 3rd gen owners consider a "clean" ride is hardly that. I've pretty much stopped browsing the classifieds because people will have their "mint" or "clean" 3rd gen for sale with red paint that has faded to pink and a rednecked interior. The interesting thing is that many people will agree on how "clean" or "mint" the car is!

I think the upper price range for a perfect example will be 20k on a 3rd gen. Here are things that will get it there:

1. All original - Finding an all-original 3rd gen is damn-near impossible.
2. Low mileage - Sub-50k miles on the original, maintained drivetrain is always a plus.
3. Condition - These cars aren't that old yet, so finding an unrestored one that has been perfectly maintained isn't impossible. Also, these cars are cheap to restore, so finding a stellar example is possible.
4. Year - This is where things get interesting. Some people (such as myself) prefer the 91-92 the most; others like the IROC years, or the very early 80s, etc. A lot of it has to do with styling preference and available options.
5. 5-speed - Sorry to all the nancies out there that don't understand a clutch pedal, but the reality is a 5-speed 3rd gen is much more desirable than an auto and always will be.
6. Options - This is where it gets interesting:
- Z28 - Always a desirable option, adds the HO V8. The TPI and late model Z28s are more desirable.
- IROC - Basically the same as the Z28, just with a different name. Suffers from a stronger negative social stigma due to the extent of rednecked examples out there. Still desirable from a value standpoint.
- 25th Anniversary Edition - 1992, also the year with the lowest production.
- RS - Mostly an apperance package but can be had with a low output 305 and some other goodies. If found with some performance options, a 305, and 5-speed, and in great condition with low miles, an RS can bring good money.
- HARDTOP - This is one of those options most people don't get, but deleting the T-Tops was actually a rare occurrence. The hardtop can be very desirable to the right person due to better handling, easier upkeep, and the rarity.
- Misc Options - G92 LSD options, etc., can draw money and desirability.
- Color Combinations - Sorry to say but that ugly teal color isn't everyone's cup of tea! Traditional and sporty Camaro colors do the best - red, white, black, maroon. Couple the white or black with a red interior and expect a little more money.

One thing to keep in mind - if you're looking to do a project or a resto-rod, all that goes out the window. These cars are cheap and easy to build-up and get nice. Want an all original 91 Z28 but can't find a 5-speed? About 1000 dollars max will allow a clean swap of trannies. Looking to build a C6 killer at the drag strip? Just find a good body, drop in a crate, and have a blast. Looking for a great auto-x platform? Modify a V8 car's suspension and brakes and you'll be competitive. These cars are great platforms to build whatever is in your head...

I really want a 91-92 Camaro, V8 5-speed. I don't care if it's a Z28 or an RS (actually I might prefer an RS due to the spoiler difference). I'd like it damn near original, and then I'd do subtle mods to it and cruise. Make it white or black with a red interior
I agree with most of what you said. The fact that most people's idea of a "clean" thirdgen is something that I'd consider in need of a complete restoration just supports my belief that truely clean cars can indeed command strong dollars.

About all I don't agree with is your opinion of the IROC stigma detracting from it's desirability. It's desirability is exactly why owning one is the pinacle achievement of rednecks everywhere. The IROC still seems to be the most sought after thirdgen among rednecks and non-rednecks alike. Due to the affordability, I actually see a lot more thrashed/rednecked RSs than I do IROCs.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:00 PM
Iroc-Z89
Instructor

I agree with you. its hard to find them.. but even when I was interested in selling my car i was told i was nutz with asking what i did and that wasn't too long ago. Eventually I just gave up, but it looks like I may have to sell it because of women anyway. I really dont want to take a loss on this car either. But, save some fun for the summer 07'..

http://carpassion.com/en/usergarage.php?no=531

You could probably pull 5-8 real easy after that you are ebay'n it.

Last edited by Iroc-Z89; 04-24-2007 at 04:04 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 IROC Value

Quick Reply: 1985 IROC Value