F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

2008 New Camaro!! What are your Pros and Cons??

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 02:27 AM
Jim78SA
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Noted thanks
Old 10-19-2007, 02:16 PM
danziger
Team Owner

Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HotZR-1
I think they should use a 5.3 liter and not the 6.0 Liter. That way, Chevy can compete if not beat the Mustang in Price. Put around 320-350 HP in it and price it around 26k and open up a huge aftermarket for it. I think only then will the Camero stay this time around. As for a 500 HP Dodge, well, who cares really? The GT 500 has 500 HP and people are still buying the GT Mustang more. Chevy has already proven that they reign one of best among power, they need to concentrate on sales. Chevy has for too long thought HP alone will win over consumers but, the Mustang always seems to out sell the Camero. That should have been a big indicator the first time around. People want a nice, cheap, fast car that they can modify without breaking the bank. I mean, isn't that what the pony car was intended for? Chevy needs to quit installing the Vette motor in every performance vehicle.
Why waste money/effort with the 5.3? As I mentioned in the other thread, the Camaro name comes with a lot of negative connotation in the motor press and the public still clings to the "red-neck racer" stigma from the late 2ndGen cars. GM needs to kick the Mustang in the teeth, not merely "compete", or the Camaro will fail. Not to mention you will disallusion all the prior LS1 F-body guys with a lesser power-plant in a (speculated) heavier car. The aftermarket is already in place for the LS2, so why not send a 400+HP opening salvo at Ford?

Also, why not put the direct-injection V6 from the CTS in the base Camaro? It would save tooling and wipe the floor with Ford's V6...

Pricing will be the tough part and GM may have to sell the Camaro at less profit initially, or they will lose too many potential buyers. They can then raise the price over the model run as (hopefully) people realize what a step above the Mustang the new Camaro really is.

If the Camaro is saddled with mediocrity, the purists and motor press will crucify it...end of story. GM had best come out swinging, or the next Camaro model-run could be a short one.

Quick Reply: 2008 New Camaro!! What are your Pros and Cons??