F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Camaros arrive in Houston, Tx.

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 03:06 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3747lb w/ 426hp, 0-60 in 4.6seconds - not bad. Makes me feel even more proud to have my Corvette, it's like we've got a new little brother

As for the inside, I agree with Snobike Mike - it feels like a mustang on the inside.

Last edited by BornSUPERCHARGED; 04-22-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:14 PM
BornSUPERCHARGED
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Just saw, if you want an automatic SS you get the 400hp engine. So $1200 to lose 26hp and get an automatic.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by m_LeDez
My friend Chris speed shifting before getting told to "get out of the car!"
...speed-shifting?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:47 PM
Maui
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Tom/99
They had 24 there this morning.
Were they all V6's?
Old 04-22-2009, 03:49 PM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Wait a minute!!! Let's get something straight - GM is about to go into bankruptcy and dealers have the stones to put a markup on cars? I don't care if it IS the new Camaro. Local dealer here wants $1,000 over for an '09 Z06.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Silverspeed
Team Owner

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by m_LeDez
They guys at the dealership said all of the allocations were V6's with a mark-up of ~$2k over MSRP.
You have GOT to be freaking kidding me. Who in their right mind would pay OVER msrp for a V6 Camaro? There is a sucker born every minute.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:00 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am glad you are getting your jollies over seeing these cars. We all need something in our life that excites us.

I'm old now....60 this fall ....and have owned 6 or 8 gen one Camaros including a brand new SS396 4 speed coupe I got in the summer of 68 when I was 18 and working two jobs to pay for it.

Since then I have owned two completely stock 69 Z28s and several more big block 68s. They have all been sold since I got really tired of mixing octane booster to try and keep the engines from knocking themselves to pieces of the junk pump gas today. Also, I got tired of the terrible handling and lack of shoulder belts in the 68s.

But.....taking them to shows I must say they were and ARE beautiful. The most attractive Camaros ever built...and only three short years.

Now, you get my point that "what do I know". I'm old. Heck, I was just powershifting my muncie in the 68 a couple of years after learning to drive.....what do I know?

My opinion is that the new Camaro is shockingly ugly if judged in the same category as Camaros of all past generations. It's boxy, very heavy, and looks sluggish. And...even with the highest hp engine it will make a lot of noise but not be shockingly fast due to having to move 4000 or more pounds around.

Now, as a gentleman's sedan...kinda sinister looking with that solid feel.....not a bad car......But.....if I wanted a car like that it would be a Charger or Challenger which I think are more attractive.

Though some initial buyers will be as hot and bothered as you about this new brick on wheels here are some predictions:

1/ The "youth" market at which this is aimed will not be able to afford it.
2/ That same market will largely reject the styling.
3/ Dealers will all but kill the thing by stubbornly refusing to sell it at msrp instead demanding premiums that will cause cars to sit on the lots unsold.

I think it's a terrible shame that GM had a real opportunity here to produce a new Camaro from the ground up. They could have built a car that looked fast sitting still and instead they came up with one that looks like a brick on wheels.

Of course, what do I know? I'm getting old and even though I "was there" during the heyday of the muscle car and first Camaros I'm not "with it" today. It's a shame for me personally as I was planning to buy a new Camaro just for old times sake. Frankly though, I would not want to be seen in this thing-it looks like a cartoon to me. But, then, if it's aimed at the "gaming" generation perhaps this is the point.

On the other hand , at my advancing age, this might be a better car for me than the vette. It would be easier to get into and out of since it sits so much higher. Visibility would be much better than the vette for the same reason (my old neck is getting stiff ). Also, it's seats must be larger and probably stronger than in the vette to support my tired old back. Maybe I do need a new Camaro since, after all, it LOOKS like an older man's sedan to me and not a young man's sports car.

And, yah, I wish it well , my thoughts, opinions, and predictions are not a wish list by any means just what I think will be the case.

Oh, well. Time will tell. By the time the dealers get done adding their "market adjustments" to the high hp versions of the Camaro it will probably cost as much or MORE than a base no option C6 coupe....and we all know which car is light years better now don't we?

mahalo

ps 3747 lbs eh? Don't take that figure to the bank. My bet is it will tip the scales at close to 4000. It will make a lot of noise and be pretty fast ( about as fast as an SRT8 Cherokee SUV ) but get any camaro of any gen including this new one on twisties and forget it.

Last edited by OregonC6; 04-22-2009 at 04:03 PM. Reason: ps
Old 04-22-2009, 04:30 PM
maxp
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Silverspeed
You have GOT to be freaking kidding me. Who in their right mind would pay OVER msrp for a V6 Camaro? There is a sucker born every minute.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:40 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CETA 256
I think they will be.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:50 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

GM is not selling anything without giving it away and these will be no different.They took way to long to get them to market,they cost way to much and people will wait to see what becomes of GM.What a shame!!0-60 in 4.6 for a heffer notwithstanding!!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:56 PM
C6CPA
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As written by Oregon C6:
"My opinion is that the new Camaro is shockingly ugly if judged in the same category as Camaros of all past generations. It's boxy, very heavy, and looks sluggish. And...even with the highest hp engine it will make a lot of noise but not be shockingly fast due to having to move 4000 or more pounds around."

"I think it's a terrible shame that GM had a real opportunity here to produce a new Camaro from the ground up. They could have built a car that looked fast sitting still and instead they came up with one that looks like a brick on wheels."

"Frankly though, I would not want to be seen in this thing-it looks like a cartoon to me. But, then, if it's aimed at the "gaming" generation perhaps this is the point."

"Maybe I do need a new Camaro since, after all, it LOOKS like an older man's sedan to me and not a young man's sports car."

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with most everything Oregon C6 writes above.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:28 PM
RedHotC6
Racer

Originally Posted by vetdude
Wait a minute!!! Let's get something straight - GM is about to go into bankruptcy and dealers have the stones to put a markup on cars? I don't care if it IS the new Camaro. Local dealer here wants $1,000 over for an '09 Z06.
Ok,

I think this car is Hot Looking and I would like to have one next to my Corvette...

But I Will Never Pay Over Sticker for any CAR its
Old 04-22-2009, 05:33 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 567 Posts

They waited to long to get this vehicle out. Wait a little longer and like everthing else, it will be a steel.
Old 04-22-2009, 05:47 PM
tdbarnes
Racer

Balweg chevy in Madison WI is having a GM/corvette car show on May 9in which they are having an "official introduction" of the new camaro. there is also a cruise later in the day. I am going and can't wait to see the new camaro and all the vettes!!! tdb
Old 04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
yello9
Advanced

I saw one at the local Chevy dealer this morning. It was an SS with 426 Horsepower that listed for around $35000. I don't know what the dealer is going to ask for it. They put it in the showroom with a cover on it; said they weren't supposed to display it until May 6th.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Keencutter
Instructor

We got the flyer in the mail today from the local Chevy dealer too. I like the looks but it is awfully heavy. One article I just read says that the 400 HP auto is qucker 0-60 and in the quarter that the 426 HP M6. What's up with that? Must be the "optimized shift points".
I think I will keep my lighter, faster, and better looking Vette. I get better gas mileage too
Old 04-22-2009, 08:56 PM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Ib4tm

:d

Get notified of new replies

To Camaros arrive in Houston, Tx.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:02 PM
greengo
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Snobike Mike
Nice pics.

I think the SS is very good looking on the outside. I think they all stink on the inside.

I hope they sell well.
Has anyone seen the SS or even a Z28....from what Ive heard all they are building now are the 6 cylinder models
Old 04-22-2009, 09:04 PM
MLS277
Instructor

I think the new Camaro could have been a really great car. If GM decided to make it a "2010" design vs the retro it could have been amazing. I don't know why they decided to make it like the old versions...I think the pricing is right, the V8s available is right but the look of the car inside and out could have been so much better if they took the last generation and just improved the heck out of it with the technology we all want (nav, etc)
Old 04-22-2009, 09:11 PM
kev1n
Drifting

am i the only one who doesn't think much of the new camaros ? i like retro, but I'm not really diggin them.

Quick Reply: Camaros arrive in Houston, Tx.