F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Super Charger cam and compression questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 396 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastbird
Reverse flow cooling is the biggest departure from the GenI stuff. Coolant goes through the heads first.
if that is it... than this should be a fairly straight forward build...other than FI, everything else should be the same....

Cool... thx!!!! p:-)
Old 04-13-2010, 03:36 PM
superstreet
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by pauldana
if that is it... than this should be a fairly straight forward build...other than FI, everything else should be the same....

Cool... thx!!!! p:-)
Along with that, I am sure you know that there are minor changes on motors '87 and newer.

A 2-piece rear main seal to a 1-piece,center-bolt valve covers,the 4 inside intake bolts are more perpendicular than previous years.

I think that's it.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 AM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

aside from 6 bolt mains, your major difference as "superstreet" mentioned is achitecture.
The cylinder heads placement of 15* vs. 23* of the Gen 1 motor's,the location of exhaust valves being similar to the big block design. (Notice pics of Headers on an LSX motor vs. Gen 1 motor).
Paul this is just an offering of info, as I'm just a Bigblock old school guy who has found deep respect on the power, and 1/4, 1/8th mile track times these LSX motors are capable of..
Having a 6.0 iron blocked, Aluminum headed LSX motor will be affordable, and the power adder's it will appreciate that you may add in the future are mind boggling.

Here's some cylinder head info. Not saying you have to use RHS products, just soak up the cylinder head design info.....
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ead/index.html

btw, several carburator type intakes for the LSX motors are available also.
I'm enjoying this thread Paul, and whatever road you and your boys decide to travel down on your build to more HP, I support you.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 PM
superstreet
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by RapidRick
aside from 6 bolt mains, your major difference as "superstreet" mentioned is achitecture.
The cylinder heads placement of 15* vs. 23* of the Gen 1 motor's,the location of exhaust valves being similar to the big block design. (Notice pics of Headers on an LSX motor vs. Gen 1 motor).
Paul this is just an offering of info, as I'm just a Bigblock old school guy who has found deep respect on the power, and 1/4, 1/8th mile track times these LSX motors are capable of..
Having a 6.0 iron blocked, Aluminum headed LSX motor will be affordable, and the power adder's it will appreciate that you may add in the future are mind boggling.

Here's some cylinder head info. Not saying you have to use RHS products, just soak up the cylinder head design info.....
http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/te...ead/index.html

btw, several carburator type intakes for the LSX motors are available also.
I'm enjoying this thread Paul, and whatever road you and your boys decide to travel down on your build to more HP, I support you.

Definitely be watching this thread.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:15 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Default re: Superstreet's "Show a Pic of Your F-Body" thread!...

Originally Posted by superstreet
Post a pic soon if you can.
Thanks Gent....

"Hey superstreet",.....btw,
I finally went and did what you requested.
(See pics of one of my rides on page 4 of your thread).

I saw your "Popcorn" icon, but it had been so long, I don't know if you realized it was pics from the guy you helped with your suggestion

Last edited by RapidRick; 04-14-2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:57 AM
superstreet
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '10

Thanks Gent....

"Hey superstreet",.....btw,
I finally went and did what you requested.
(See pics of one of my rides on page 4 of your thread).

I saw your "Popcorn" icon, but it had been so long, I don't know if you realized it was pics from the guy you helped with your suggestion

I never put the two together,lol.

Which one is yours? I looked under your username and didn't see it
Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

The boys and i are currently putting together a build list... should have it done in a week or so, and will post.... currently talking to the guy that does my porting, polishing, and port-matching head work to get his view of these heads and there potential in comparison to AFR, world, and a few others....

there will be no chines $h17 parts used.... if its not made in the USA... its not used.... unless no viable option is available...
Same as my C3:-)
p:-)

Last edited by pauldana; 04-15-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:04 PM
superstreet
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '10

The boys and i are currently putting together a build list... should have it done in a week or so, and will post.... currently talking to the guy that does my porting, polishing, and port-matching head work to get his view of these heads and there potential in comparison to AFR, world, and a few others....

there will be no chines $h17 parts used.... if its not made in the USA... its not used.... unless no viable option is available...
Same as my C3:-)
p:-)
Totally. A friend of mine who has 7 Mustangs in his stable (A couple Boss 302's, fastback,a couple Boss 429's,etc) bought a good set of heads and for some reason they came with Chinese valves. He checked one of the heads and fluid leaks past the valve. Crappy valve job on top of Chinese valves.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:57 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Totally. A friend of mine who has 7 Mustangs in his stable (A couple Boss 302's, fastback,a couple Boss 429's,etc) bought a good set of heads and for some reason they came with Chinese valves. He checked one of the heads and fluid leaks past the valve. Crappy valve job on top of Chinese valves.
yea... the Chinese $h17 is ok for ...... nothing!..... well except cheep junk...imho...

We do our best, not always successful, to buy USA made products when we can.

Generally, much better products, and we have to many USA workers out of work.... and that bothers me...
Old 04-15-2010, 02:31 PM
superstreet
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '10

yea... the Chinese $h17 is ok for ...... nothing!..... well except cheep junk...imho...

We do our best, not always successful, to buy USA made products when we can.

Generally, much better products, and we have to many USA workers out of work.... and that bothers me...
When I was restoring our '69 Camaro I would spend the extra cash to get an American O.E. parts or parts from an original die.

Another friend of mine was restoring his '69 Camaro SS and bought cheaper Chinese junk drip rails. They rails came up about 3/8" short by the time it came up to the windshield. He ending up returning those and spent a little more on O.E. parts. Fit perfectly.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

I never put the two together,lol.

Which one is yours? I looked under your username and didn't see it
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/f-bo...-thread-4.html

Right under Corvette Mike's Silver Camaro?
my Red Formula displays by me, not by you?...

btw, Yes Great thread here. We all look forward to the build
Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM
BobbyC3
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Good thread.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:16 AM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

but it will be a very slow thread..... before the build, the boys got to sale there dune buggy the built.... they got it up for $7K... they built it themselves, ground up, when ask i gave some technical advice... thats all... looks like it came off a showroom floor, and they are 17 and 15yo.... very proud of them, they have listened and learned well....
Old 04-16-2010, 12:41 AM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

but it will be a very slow thread..... before the build, the boys got to sale there dune buggy the built.... they got it up for $7K... they built it themselves, ground up, when ask i gave some technical advice... thats all... looks like it came off a showroom floor, and they are 17 and 15yo.... very proud of them, they have listened and learned well....
It would be wonderful for you to post a couple pics of the Dune Buggy.
It would give us an idea of the expectation on the next build. What do you think Paul..coupl'a pics?

btw, Look in the sticky area on the Father Son Paintjob thread on their '80 Trans Am.
It started like yours, but with all the good postings of the project over time, put it permanantly at the top of this F-Body Forum....
Old 04-16-2010, 12:31 PM
superstreet
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '10

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/f-bo...-thread-4.html

Right under Corvette Mike's Silver Camaro?
my Red Formula displays by me, not by you?...

btw, Yes Great thread here. We all look forward to the build
Ahhh,ok. My works' firewall blocks pics sometimes. Very sharp and clean. What do you have her runnin'? The wife had a '02 NHRA TA. Ran 13-teens stock.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:52 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

It would be wonderful for you to post a couple pics of the Dune Buggy.
It would give us an idea of the expectation on the next build. What do you think Paul..coupl'a pics?

btw, Look in the sticky area on the Father Son Paintjob thread on their '80 Trans Am.
It started like yours, but with all the good postings of the project over time, put it permanantly at the top of this F-Body Forum....
ok.. you ask.... it took my boys 4 months to do this, they did everything themselves, only ask sometimes for guidance, but this is all there from the ground up... they are 15 and 17yo,,,, very proud of them

the first pic is right after powder-coat...they did all the mettle fabrication also...they did start with a very basic rusted frame that someone gave them.... that is all the had to start with, and i do mean basic... it did not even have a dash of any type, what you see is there fabrication work... nothing... basic rusted out frame...

This is chris' jeep, a 72 he has been working on for 2 years... it was a compleat rust bucket before he started...

Last edited by pauldana; 04-16-2010 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:10 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Ahhh,ok. My works' firewall blocks pics sometimes. Very sharp and clean. What do you have her runnin'? The wife had a '02 NHRA TA. Ran 13-teens stock.
Glad it finally worked for you.
Fast Stocker for sure superstreet!

I run, and am in the points in the Corvette/GM/etc. Challenge Series at www.racepbir.com. I run in "GM"
Driven 60 miles one way, It runs 11.90's/113 in cooler air. 12.0's in the heat and 12.1's in the dog days of Summer here in the SE Florida Heat. I weigh in at around 280lbs. When I go 11.90's, my 160lb. nephew has gone 11.80 the same day.
Stock 346 bottom end + Heads/Cam/Bolt-ons/Susp/3.73's, 3200TCI Conv./Masport Tuned, and on Nitto 315/35x17 Drag Radials.
Funny how you don't feel the Torque, like I did in some of my Square Port, Solid lifter old Big Block Bowtie cars, but these LSX cars run a number don't they?!
That's why I brought up here to Paul on his thread about a possible LSX combo.....

Last edited by RapidRick; 04-16-2010 at 11:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Super Charger cam and compression questions

Old 04-16-2010, 11:13 PM
RapidRick
Burning Brakes

Default "Holy Smokes!"........

ok.. you ask.... it took my boys 4 months to do this, they did everything themselves, only ask sometimes for guidance, but this is all there from the ground up... they are 15 and 17yo,,,, very proud of them.

This is chris' jeep, a 72 he has been working on for 2 years... it was a compleat rust bucket before he started...
.....and proud you should be Paul! Dayum that's a Sweet Build.
Yea, You just gotta take us all here for a ride on their Camaro Build for sure.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:22 PM
pauldana
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

.....and proud you should be Paul! Dayum that's a Sweet Build.
Yea, You just gotta take us all here for a ride on their Camaro Build for sure.
thx,,,, you should see his jeep.... that is what chris started out on... way better than the buggy.... and danny has been with me EVERY step of the way on the Vett.... which is now far and above anything we have done to this date....

they think they will beat Baby (ny C3 vett) when they are done.... we will see,,,,
Old 04-19-2010, 12:24 PM
superstreet
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '10

ok.. you ask.... it took my boys 4 months to do this, they did everything themselves, only ask sometimes for guidance, but this is all there from the ground up... they are 15 and 17yo,,,, very proud of them
Wow! Very impressive work!