F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

1986 Camaro Sport - Restore? Maintain?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 10:50 AM
kedvesh
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Default 1986 Camaro Sport - Restore? Maintain?

Posted the following over @ http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/hi...-maintain.html last year. Recently revived the thread and this time 'round, also thought I'd try this section of the CF.

Respectfully ask for your inputs to add to the few over @ ThirdGen. Thanks!

First time poster; long time lurker; long time access to a 1986 Camaro.

WRT the machine, it's as stock as it can be: 2.8L V6, manual tranny, red/red interior, electric windows, basic climate control (no A/C). It presently has about 118K miles (I think) on the odo. When not driven, it sits in a garage. Over the last few years, it's seen sporadic use (less than a few thousand miles a year).

It's been a great car and the owner (my mother) would like to keep it around. She likes the looks she gets as an almost 81 y.o. driving the car! However, of late, it hasn't been that reliable and there are more than a few things that need fixing or visible improvement. (My parents also have a '97 Chevy Astro that's nearing 200K and it too has its share of "issues".)

They really need a more reliable run-around town/area car and have made overtures that they/she may want to get a new, smaller, more fuel efficient model. If so, she may give/sell the Camaro to a family member or just sell it on the open market.

Here's where your opinions come in. If I (or they) keep the car, would it be worth the time, effort and money--whether it be by myself over a number of years or by a professional for a shorter time and a lot more cash--to restore/fix-up the puppy or should I/we just drive it 'till it dies?

Things that need or probably need fixing:
- probable rust (bubling under the paint) on both rocker panels
- probable rust on the edges of the wheel wells
- a "funky" tach and gas guage
- cracked corners of the dash
- broken outer covering for the driver's side door lock (which is still functional)
- a "soft" clutch (I don't like the way it engages)
- faded cloth/synthetic interior
- drooping overhead liner fabric (but that's an easy fix with some glue)
- slow as beans electric windows
- slow as beans windshield wipers with an internmitent function that won't work
- worn paint on the headlight cowls
- it handles and accelerates like a tank (but, that's normal...it's always been like that)
- who knows what else, like a new paint job
- I'd want to retrofit some A/C into the car
- If the current engine is toast and is not worth rebuilding, I'd probably want to put a different engine in the car (maybe a new LSX V8 or current/new gen Camaro V6)
- I'd definitely want to change out the clutch and suspension
- Sometimes, unless you really pay attention to the clutch and throttle, the car will stall when decellerating to a stop. This is not good when one is in traffic or your 80+ y.o. parents are driving it.
- The rear of the RF qtr panel behind the wheel into the door now has a nice, large dent in it from where someone (not me) scooted over too early after coming off of a one-lane stone bridge. Thus, there's a new need for some additional body and paint work.

On the good side:
- it gets about 26+ MPG on the highway with regular unleaded gas
- it's never had any major engine issues (the engine has never been disassembled)
- it has a fairly new stock-like exhaust system
- while no longer pristine the paint is still good
- the car definitely has "presence", especially in this day and age of rounded econo whatevers

I'd love to make it new, but my challenges are:
- limited current mechanical ability (I can change brakes, but that's about as deep as I've gotten into cars. However, if someone teaches me how to do something, then no problem!)
- limited space to do the work (I live in a townhouse; Mom & Dad live with a garage full of stuff, to include the Camaro)
- full knowledge of how much it costs to put in a new performance engine, exhaust, etc. if someone else does it; (I just spent $$$$$ to put a stroked 416 LS3 in my Corvette); I do not have a bottomless bank account.

So, there's the "basics" of it all. Your input would be much appreciated!

Oh...and if you work for the show Overhaulin' (http://tlc.discovery.com/tv/overhaulin/overhaulin.html), I'd love for you to do the work!

Old 09-13-2011, 11:49 AM
KMK454
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, this car is a novelty and will be "cool" to a select few at future car shows because it's a V6 T5 sport coupe. I just came from a thirdgen meet and they were all V8s, none in the base sport coupe trim. Most V6s were junked, discarded, or parted with. They were the cash cows for GM and the car everybody bought because they couldn't afford the V8 that they really wanted.

Financially, it makes no sense to restore it as a V6. Any money in will never be seen again. My best advice is to either maintain it as is and drive it into the ground, or do a restomod. If the shell is good and relatiely rustfree, and the interior easily restored, then this car would be a perfect candidate for an LSx/T56. If that's a budget buster, you can always get a crate ZZ4 or find an LT1 to put in there. If it were me and I had the funds, I'd restore the shell, put the interior to stock, and drop in an LSx/T56. Then I'd put on 91-92 GFX and some nice wheels and drive it.

If your endstate is to sell the car, just sell it as is and don't put money into it.

Quick Reply: 1986 Camaro Sport - Restore? Maintain?