F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Magnetic Shocks on 2016 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 08:15 PM
Blazin383
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnetic Shocks on 2016 Camaro

So I'm looking at buying a 2016 SS Camaro and the magnetic shocks are a $1700 option. I don't have Mag shocks on my Grand Sport and know nothing about them except how they do what they do and what I've read about them. It's hard to find any articles or reviews of the Camaro without the Mag shocks, and most of the raves regarding the system are related to how great they are on the track. Since I'll likely never put the Camaro on a track, and will very rarely ever carve a canyon road, do you think the Mag shocks offer enough advantage to justify the cost?
I've been told they are less of a benefit on the Camaro than on the Vette on public roads simply because of wheel base differences, but would be interested in your thoughts.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:17 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 435 Likes on 372 Posts

It depends partly on how long you are going to keep the Camaro. After the warranty, if one goes bad, it's a very expensive part. One mag shock costs more than a set of 4 Bilsteins. It wouldn't be something I would do unless I traded cars often and figured it would always be in warranty.

Last edited by cclive; 03-07-2016 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:32 PM
Monty2007
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have them on my 2007 and love them. The difference between tour and sport is noticeable and an option I get on every new car I can get them on. In respect to the replacement costs, they are pricey. The last I checked about $500 each, but are supposed to last 100,000 mi.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Maybe you should ask the Camaro folks.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:17 AM
Blazin383
Instructor

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Maybe you should ask the Camaro folks.
Why? Because you think the experience of thousands of Corvette drivers with magnetic shocks is somehow irrelevant to my questions?
Old 03-14-2016, 11:09 AM
musclecar6
Le Mans Master

Received 148 Likes on 104 Posts

Had mag shocks on my 06 C6 and have them as standard issue on my 2012 CTS-V. Did not have them on my 08Z or on my 10 GS( were not available until 2011 GS, or I would definitely have ordered them). The difference in ride is dramatic on pot hole strewn broken pavement roads most of us drive on at least some of the time.

From some 2016 Camaro SS reviews I have read that included mag ride versions and non mag ride versions, the results for the Camaro is the same as the vette. Bottom line, don't be penny wise and pound foolish. Get mag ride. You'll be glad you did after you drive on the first lousy surface road.
Old 03-22-2016, 12:40 AM
Rickman
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Blazin,

Keep us posted on your 16 Camaro SS purchase. There are plenty of guys on here, myself included, who follow both Camaro & Corvette.

I had the opportunity to drive a gorgeous blue SS recently. Unfortunately it was in the rain, so I was not able/willing to exercise it appropriately. I came away very impressed, thinking it makes a great sports car (yes, i said sports car vs. sporty/pony).

The Camaro has advanced to where it is now a 2+2 sports car, and a very capable one at that, especially for an enthusiast who enjoys Corvettes yet wants something more "day to day driveable". By that I mean someone, like myself , who may use the car for business, getting in and out of it 8-10x per day.

Please keep us posted.

Rickman
Old 03-23-2016, 12:20 PM
Blazin383
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rickman
Blazin,

Keep us posted on your 16 Camaro SS purchase. There are plenty of guys on here, myself included, who follow both Camaro & Corvette.

I had the opportunity to drive a gorgeous blue SS recently. Unfortunately it was in the rain, so I was not able/willing to exercise it appropriately. I came away very impressed, thinking it makes a great sports car (yes, i said sports car vs. sporty/pony).

The Camaro has advanced to where it is now a 2+2 sports car, and a very capable one at that, especially for an enthusiast who enjoys Corvettes yet wants something more "day to day driveable". By that I mean someone, like myself , who may use the car for business, getting in and out of it 8-10x per day.

Please keep us posted.

Rickman
Will do! So far I absolutely love the car and I'm very glad I decided to go with the mag suspension. I only have a few miles of wheel time in a standard suspension 16 SS Camaro, so I'm not really able to compare it to the magnetic shocks, but I can tell you that the new Camaro with mag suspension is a wonderful ride....for such a high performance car, and, when called upon, will tighten up to a serious handling sports car!
It's a great car and I'm glad I made the switch for now!

Get notified of new replies

To Magnetic Shocks on 2016 Camaro

Quick Reply: Magnetic Shocks on 2016 Camaro