F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Corvette Shaped Tears

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 08:38 PM
Julio Danks
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corvette Shaped Tears

So I'm having a Corvette crisis. I'm 22 years old and I made the incomprehensibly moronic mistake of driving my 1978 Corvette drunk and emotionally charged. Crazy right? I veered of the road at a turn and crashed nose first into a slope. The engine runs fine. A coolant leak somewhere but it sounds fine and ran fine and I was able to drive it to my parents house who lived in the area. I was devasted when I looked at the damage. I had bought the car for 7500 dollars. Good condition. Ran. I fixed it up. Made it my project. Corvettes became my passion. I can safely say there is no possession more important to me then this car. And I feel horrible for being so cruel and careless to it. She deserves better. I haven't gotten a estimate yet. I had only liability insurance because at the time when I was renewing my policy money was a little unpredictable. Now I have a decent job. Steady income. But obviously this is going to be all out of pocket. So now I'm wondering what should I do? If the frame is damaged should I just sell it and try to start again with another? If the frame is intact how much could it possible cost to fix the fiberglass and windshield etc? Or should I just give up? Sell it and just cut my losses. The last option breaks my heart... But maybe at this age I should prioritize. Though I simply cannot imagine life without that car
There simply isn't anything that makes me feel like the sound of this car. So I ask this forum. As a first time poster. As a fellow Corvette enthusiast. What should I do? Or better yet what would you do?

Old 04-16-2016, 09:42 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

F-Body Discussion
Old 04-16-2016, 10:09 AM
JK's01Z06
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Most of the time when the damge hits the windshield it's a total loss. And if you had comprehensive ins. It would most definatley be a total loss.
By the looks of the damage I would bet that there is a bent frame.
In that case I personally would sell the car as a parts car.
I hate it for your loss but any time I see drinking involved, it's hard to feel sorry for the person.
A car can be repaired or replaced but a persons life, may it be yours or someone else can not.
I'm glad no one got hurt. It could be a lot worse.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:44 PM
Julio Danks
4th Gear

Originally Posted by JK's01Z06
Most of the time when the damge hits the windshield it's a total loss. And if you had comprehensive ins. It would most definatley be a total loss.
By the looks of the damage I would bet that there is a bent frame.
In that case I personally would sell the car as a parts car.
I hate it for your loss but any time I see drinking involved, it's hard to feel sorry for the person.
A car can be repaired or replaced but a persons life, may it be yours or someone else can not.
I'm glad no one got hurt. It could be a lot worse.
It could have been far worse you absolutely right and I don't expect people to sympathize. Regardless if I was drinking or not I drove it like regularly like a dumb kid and I got what was coming to me. I could have easily killed myself or a bicyclist etc. All I can do is take away lessons learned as long as I learned something from it I guess its not a total waste. How much do you think I should post it on craigslist for? I know that its a total loss, you are lucky if there is one 1978 windshield in a entire state....
Old 04-16-2016, 05:45 PM
Julio Danks
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TA
F-Body Discussion
Where should I have posted this then? For future reference.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:34 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Julio Danks
Where should I have posted this then? For future reference.
I would think C3 General Discussion or possibly Paint/Body
Old 04-17-2016, 10:47 AM
Julio Danks
4th Gear

Originally Posted by TA
I would think C3 General Discussion or possibly Paint/Body
Thank you I wasnt sure this is my first post and I knew I wasnt going to categorize it properly.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Shaped Tears