F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

Now I have gone and done it! First gen Camaro goo roos step in please

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 09:15 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Received 108 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Now I have gone and done it! First gen Camaro goo roos step in please

I just picked up what I am pretty sure is a real 68 Z-28 Camaro, but as you know 68 is the hardest one to authenticate without the matching "MO" 302 engine.
However it has the original never been off the car rear bumper with big bumper guards (z28 only) Rear end was built the same month and week as the car 3.73 12 bolt posi with 4 leaf multi (4 leaf is z28 only) has factory holes and hangers in rear frame rails for dual exhaust (z28 was the only dual exhaust small block???) M-21 trans and still has the Muncie linkage, and shifter. Power disc brakes,(all Z 28s had this) manual steering, 6000 redline (only z28 and 375 horse BB cars had this) Speedo cable exits firewall on right side of steering column. White over spray in cowl from application of stripes over original green paint. It also is a factory rear spoiler car, and has console gauges which are not specific to any car, just a nice option.
Chime in and I will give you the good bad and ugly of it.
Edit also forgot it still has the E-70 15 tire sticker on the glove box door which no other Camaro that year had 15 inch rims, only Z-28 had these.

Last edited by centuryoldracer; 06-08-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 06-14-2016, 09:18 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Sounds like a cool car.z28 not the only small block with duals ss350s for 1 but the 327 275hp I believe could come with duals also
Old 06-27-2016, 11:34 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

As you said, the 68 is the hardest to prove/identify, especially when the original engine is gone. That said, it does sound like your car has a lot of the 68 Z/28 clues.

As far as the dual exhaust, it was standard on the Z/28, but it was also standard on all SS Camaro's, regardless of the engine. Duals could also be had as a option on any 68 V8 engine. Z/28 (and big blocks) got 2 1/4" duals, while other small blocks got 2 " duals.

Another thing to check is the width of the rear spoiler. The 68 spoiler is about 59" wide, while the 69 is 61". Cars with factory installed spoilers, got larger diameter trunk spring torsion bars. The narrow spoiler and larger spring bars, won't prove that it's a Z/28, but they're a good indicator that it was a factory spoiler car.

The Z/28 used a 3 row 21" radiator, while other small blocks used a 2 row 21", though the 3 row also came with AC, and was available as a Heavy Duty option on other small blocks. Big blocks used a 23" radiator.

The master cylinder used on 68 Z/28's was the "046" casting, with a "WT" code stamped on the front. Though this MC wasn't unique to just the Z/28, as it was used with all 68's with front discs.

I'm no expert on Z/28's, but I'm learning more about them all the time. One of my best customers is restoring a 68 Z/28, that I located for him. It's a very interesting car in Butternut Yellow, with it's original numbers matching engine, Rally Sport Package, Black Custom Interior, black vinyl top, tinted glass, under hood light and the very rare correct 68 cowl induction air cleaner (not to be confused with the 69 cowl hood). Strangely, the car doesn't have a console, gauges or spoilers.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:37 PM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by centuryoldracer
I just picked up what I am pretty sure is a real 68 Z-28 Camaro, but as you know 68 is the hardest one to authenticate without the matching "MO" 302 engine.
However it has the original never been off the car rear bumper with big bumper guards (z28 only) Rear end was built the same month and week as the car 3.73 12 bolt posi with 4 leaf multi (4 leaf is z28 only) has factory holes and hangers in rear frame rails for dual exhaust (z28 was the only dual exhaust small block???) M-21 trans and still has the Muncie linkage, and shifter. Power disc brakes,(all Z 28s had this) manual steering, 6000 redline (only z28 and 375 horse BB cars had this) Speedo cable exits firewall on right side of steering column. White over spray in cowl from application of stripes over original green paint. It also is a factory rear spoiler car, and has console gauges which are not specific to any car, just a nice option.
Chime in and I will give you the good bad and ugly of it.
Edit also forgot it still has the E-70 15 tire sticker on the glove box door which no other Camaro that year had 15 inch rims, only Z-28 had these.
Just for clarification, the SS350/L48 sbc also had dual exhausts and there is documentation that 4 leaf springs and optional long rear bumper guards were found on cars other than Z/28's. All in all, you have some good clues. Would love to see some pics!
Old 07-01-2016, 08:29 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

OP, there's a website dedicated to the first gen Camaros, called the "Camaro Research Group" (CRG). There's a LOT of information there, and the site is populated by a number of knowledgeable people. They probably could help you
Old 07-16-2016, 03:43 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by gbvette62
As you said, the 68 is the hardest to prove/identify, especially when the original engine is gone. That said, it does sound like your car has a lot of the 68 Z/28 clues.

As far as the dual exhaust, it was standard on the Z/28, but it was also standard on all SS Camaro's, regardless of the engine. Duals could also be had as a option on any 68 V8 engine. Z/28 (and big blocks) got 2 1/4" duals, while other small blocks got 2 " duals.

Another thing to check is the width of the rear spoiler. The 68 spoiler is about 59" wide, while the 69 is 61". Cars with factory installed spoilers, got larger diameter trunk spring torsion bars. The narrow spoiler and larger spring bars, won't prove that it's a Z/28, but they're a good indicator that it was a factory spoiler car.

The Z/28 used a 3 row 21" radiator, while other small blocks used a 2 row 21", though the 3 row also came with AC, and was available as a Heavy Duty option on other small blocks. Big blocks used a 23" radiator.

The master cylinder used on 68 Z/28's was the "046" casting, with a "WT" code stamped on the front. Though this MC wasn't unique to just the Z/28, as it was used with all 68's with front discs.

I'm no expert on Z/28's, but I'm learning more about them all the time. One of my best customers is restoring a 68 Z/28, that I located for him. It's a very interesting car in Butternut Yellow, with it's original numbers matching engine, Rally Sport Package, Black Custom Interior, black vinyl top, tinted glass, under hood light and the very rare correct 68 cowl induction air cleaner (not to be confused with the 69 cowl hood). Strangely, the car doesn't have a console, gauges or spoilers.
Yup on the factory spoiler and trunk springs. The cluster with the 6000 redline was built April 19 1968 and the car body was built 4th week of April, and the cluster is original and looks to have never been out of that car. Since the firewall is cut different for a bb car this is a definite sb car, and only one sb had a 6000 redline.
So your customers car has a cowl hood? A lot of people added them later, but they didn't come out until 69.
I have the correct radiator, fan with clutch, intake, carb, heads, valve covers, and even got the correct crankshaft but the original MO block is long gone.
All the correct brake parts are there as well.
The guy had bought all new GM sheetmetal for the cars front end back when it was still available, so RS fenders, lower RS valance, hood (although nothing special because they were flat) inner fender wells, core support, and passenger door which is also factory drilled for the RS trim.
I have never seen a Camaro this dry, and rust free as far as the body, trunk, and floors. The jute under the seats, and carpeting look new, as does the original carpeting. Door panels, Dash pad, seats, even the weather stripping is in remarkable condition. Its actually unfortunate the PO started to restore and removed the front clip as this would be a true survivor car, in fact I do not plan to restore from the firewall back to show how nice the underside of this original car is. I am going to repaint it because it is the wrong color, and all the front metal is Black from being new.

Last edited by centuryoldracer; 07-16-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:06 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kcust62
Just for clarification, the SS350/L48 sbc also had dual exhausts and there is documentation that 4 leaf springs and optional long rear bumper guards were found on cars other than Z/28's. All in all, you have some good clues. Would love to see some pics!
I have heard that there were some documented cars with 4 leafs other than Z28 but literally a hand full if that. The unrestored rear end and springs have never been out of this car.
Old 07-16-2016, 04:09 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Kevova
Sounds like a cool car.z28 not the only small block with duals ss350s for 1 but the 327 275hp I believe could come with duals also
Good to know. It had to be something special to have come with dual exhaust.
Old 07-16-2016, 06:02 PM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have heard that there were some documented cars with 4 leafs other than Z28 but literally a hand full if that. The unrestored rear end and springs have never been out of this car.
Old wives tale...all 68-69 Camaro's with 350 engine (10/12 bolt rear) received multi-leaf springs from the factory...normally 307 and 327's got mono-leaf. There were a butt load of cars built with 4 leaf springs based on options ordered...my 69 RS had original 4 leafs. (4s) were unique to the Z!
Old 07-16-2016, 06:53 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kcust62
Old wives tale...all 68-69 Camaro's with 350 engine (10/12 bolt rear) received multi-leaf springs from the factory...normally 307 and 327's got mono-leaf. There were a butt load of cars built with 4 leaf springs based on options ordered...my 69 RS had original 4 leafs. (4s) were unique to the Z!
In 68 I believe that is correct that only the Z had 4 leaf, and the rest had 5.
They did away with mono after 67 because of wheel hop. I don't know about 69, haven't researched it. Whatever it is, it is a cool car that appears to be a real deal Z.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:05 AM
carsangelop
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats sounds like you found yourself a great car Here is a picture of my sons 69.I had it for 25 years and just gave it to him for his 30th bday
Original DZ block trans and rear Fathom Green
Post some pics love to see the car
Old 07-17-2016, 05:40 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by carsangelop

Congrats sounds like you found yourself a great car Here is a picture of my sons 69.I had it for 25 years and just gave it to him for his 30th bday
Original DZ block trans and rear Fathom Green
Post some pics love to see the car
Love the color, in fact the one I am working on is British Green with Black standard interior.
Old 07-18-2016, 09:46 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

So your customers car has a cowl hood? A lot of people added them later, but they didn't come out until 69.
No, my customers car does not have a cowl hood, it has the standard flat hood. What I said was that the car has "the very rare correct 68 cowl induction air cleaner (not to be confused with the 69 cowl hood)."

Before the cowl hood was offered in 69, 67 and 68 Z/28's were available with a cowl induction air cleaner. Like the optional headers, the cowl air cleaner was shipped with the car, but uninstalled in a box in the trunk.

The cowl air cleaner was made up of 3 pieces, a closed air cleaner, a curved plastic air duct, and a flexible rubber connector hose. The hose and duct form a 90 degree bend to connect the air cleaner to the firewall. To use the air cleaner, the owner had to cut a hole in the firewall, above the heater box. The air cleaner came with a template and instructions, on how and where to cut the firewall open. When installed, the cowl induction air cleaner draws air in through the cowl vents, through the duct, and into the enclosed air cleaner.

When installed, the cowl air cleaner wasn't as pretty as the 14" open element air cleaner, but it did do a good job of providing cool outside air to the carb.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:23 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Actually did something similar with an Abody
Think its more effective than the 69 CI system

Sounds like a neat find post up some pics.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:42 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

No, my customers car does not have a cowl hood, it has the standard flat hood. What I said was that the car has "the very rare correct 68 cowl induction air cleaner (not to be confused with the 69 cowl hood)."

Before the cowl hood was offered in 69, 67 and 68 Z/28's were available with a cowl induction air cleaner. Like the optional headers, the cowl air cleaner was shipped with the car, but uninstalled in a box in the trunk.

The cowl air cleaner was made up of 3 pieces, a closed air cleaner, a curved plastic air duct, and a flexible rubber connector hose. The hose and duct form a 90 degree bend to connect the air cleaner to the firewall. To use the air cleaner, the owner had to cut a hole in the firewall, above the heater box. The air cleaner came with a template and instructions, on how and where to cut the firewall open. When installed, the cowl induction air cleaner draws air in through the cowl vents, through the duct, and into the enclosed air cleaner.

When installed, the cowl air cleaner wasn't as pretty as the 14" open element air cleaner, but it did do a good job of providing cool outside air to the carb.

That set-up was pioneered with the Z-11 409 Impalas, back in '61. One of my good friends was one of the premier "east coast privateers", back in the 60s, running a '63 split window 'Vette, followed by a '67 Z/28, in SCCA racing. His car had that cold air induction package.
Old 07-19-2016, 10:00 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Was hoping to do something similar...where the AC used to be. Just dont want a stock looking part have to be fabbed up

Love those first Gen Camaros best bodys ever
Attached Images  
Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 AM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

Pretty cool, and some good information. Mine doesn't have that!

Get notified of new replies

To Now I have gone and done it! First gen Camaro goo roos step in please

Old 07-20-2016, 07:17 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Was hoping to do something similar...where the AC used to be. Just dont want a stock looking part have to be fabbed up
Only drawback with running that set-up on a street car, is you'll constantly hear the sucking sound of the carb. It will be transmitted through the heater/defroster vents, since the cowl area is where they draw in outside air, and with that duct, the carb will be drawing from there, too.
Old 07-20-2016, 02:24 PM
centuryoldracer
Le Mans Master

So another clue, I dropped the fuel tank, and no build sheet. However it has its born with 3/8 metal fuel line in the sending unit so it is a SB car with the bigger fuel line, and it was not a SS because it would have had a SS gas cap. This car has a RS gas cap, and it appears born with also because of the factory reverse lights in the rear lower valance. The gas caps that were special (SS or RS) also had a cable with a stud that nutted from the inside of the trunk, and attached the cap to the car. This also appears to be factory. The car also still retains it's vacuum headlight switch. So if it was a large fuel line SB car???? Couldn't have been a SS 350 car because of the gas cap and 6000 redline. What else should I be looking for?
Old 07-20-2016, 06:12 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

.... What else should I be looking for?
This.....

https://www.camaros.org/forum/index.php

Quick Reply: Now I have gone and done it! First gen Camaro goo roos step in please