F-Body General Discussion Non-Corvette General Discussion on Camaro, Firebird and Trans Am, F-Body Technical Info, for sale

98 Trans Am clutch problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 07:13 PM
ZWILDZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 123 Posts
Default 98 Trans Am clutch problems

My son was having trouble getting in gear until the car warmed up. So he wanted to try bleeding it. Opened the bleeder and out came nice black fluid that has been cooking for a long time. So we bled it and got clean fluid but now the car has no pedal at all. I then used a vacuum setup to try and remove any trapped air through the reservoir. Got lots of air bubbles out but it seems like they just keep coming and coming with no end in sight. I got back under it and cracked the bleeder again but to no avail still no clutch pedal. There is no apparent leaks in the system.
Old 01-10-2019, 04:34 PM
NW-99SS
Safety Car

Received 713 Likes on 370 Posts
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I replaced the clutch, master and slave on my car some years ago - but I wanted to say that the vacuum bleeders really are hit and miss with 4th gens. I had a friend help me by opening and closing the bleed on the slave. We were done bleeding the system in 10 minutes and never had an issue with a dead pedal after that.

Quick Reply: 98 Trans Am clutch problems