Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

C1 Wonderbar Buttons

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2001, 02:44 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Received 114 Likes on 74 Posts

Default C1 Wonderbar Buttons

Can anyone tell me how to remove the buttons from my Wonderbar? Is there some catch that needs to be relased or am I just not pulling hard enough?

Thanks, John McGraw :smash:
Old 08-14-2001, 03:19 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Default Re: C1 Wonderbar Buttons (John McGraw)

John,
I haven't worked on one in 30+ years, but I used to work on GM AM radios as a kid. If I remember correctly when you pulled the button back in order to set a "preset" it would come out about 1/2 again further than normal. If you look at the underside of the button there should be some sort of spring release mechanism that either pressed into or pried up. This allowed the botton to come off.
This is all very vague and might not be the same on all GM radios. I really didn't work on Chevy Wonderbar radios, my stuff came from GMC/Buick/Pontiac Dealership and an Olds/Caddy dealership.
Chevy radios could have been different.
Old 08-14-2001, 06:02 PM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Default Re: C1 Wonderbar Buttons (Patrick Tighe)

Thanks Patrick Will look again tonight, but pulled and tugged on them last night until I was afraid I was going to break something and nothing budged.
Sure has been lonely over on the tech board since you all came over here, guess I will need to spend some time over here as well. John :smash:
Old 08-15-2001, 12:29 AM
John McGraw
Safety Car

Default Re: C1 Wonderbar Buttons (John McGraw)

Finally figured it out tonight, so for those who might be contemplating changing out their buttons and bezel here goes. The buttons sit against a shoulder on each flat shaft, simply insert a screwdriver between the button and shaft and wedge them off with a twisting motion. After they come off about 1/4", they will pull off by hand. The "Wonderbar" botton has two shafts and must be worked a little on each side to prevent binding on the other side. A very easy job once figured out and took less than 5 minutes.

[Modified by John McGraw, 10:30 PM 8/14/2001]

Get notified of new replies

To C1 Wonderbar Buttons

Quick Reply: C1 Wonderbar Buttons