Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Fusible Link Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 06:09 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Fusible Link Replacement

Fusible links on 67-8-9, etc., seem to be "attached" with a black rubber "barrel" type connector...fused to the wiring. Does anyone make a look-alike connector? How have others replaced fusible links and used the original style connectors? Chuck
Old 08-28-2001, 06:45 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Fusible Link Replacement (Chuck Gongloff)

Chuck, I have never had to replace a fusible link, but if I did, I believe I would take a utility knife with a fresh blade and try to cleanly slit the "connector" lengthwise without cutting off my thumb, and then peel the insulator away from the wire.

Then I would either use common butt connectors (less the insulating sleeve) or a soldering gun to splice the new fusible link into the harness. I would wrap the original insulator over the joint after filling it with black silicone or some other excellent adhesive. After cleaning up any excess silicone, I would wrap masking tape around the insulator to hold it together and in position until the silicone cured.

One thing I am not sure about: silicone will not stick to everything, so I am not sure it will adhere to the rubber. If not, you might have to experiment with other adhesives such as gasket cement, contact cement, etc. Once the adhesive set up, I doubt that you would even be able to see the repair unless you looked very close.

I don't know if anyone makes a connector like the original. It would almost have to be based on the shrink tube concept. I believe the original black insulator was vulcanized in place to cover a small metal crimped connector, but I have never had one apart; just from a little experience with automotive harnesses.
Old 08-29-2001, 05:47 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Fusible Link Replacement (Chuck Sangerhausen)

Chuck: You are 100% correct. I bought a few scrap wiring pieces at Carlisle...the kind of things you find in the 50 cent pile. Sliced one lengthwise and peeled it off. It does appear that it was "formed" over the wire after the splice, because when you try to put the barrel back on...you have to put it in the precise original position...otherwise the slit won't close. Now, if I could just find fusible links in the right color, (orange), I'd be home free. Chuck
Old 08-29-2001, 06:37 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you know anybody at Lectric Limited? :D :D

I doubt that they will sell components to anyone because they want you to buy the whole danged harness. You would think they would be happy to sell you a fusible link for $5 if they knew that was all they were going to get out of you.

There was an outfit that I saw at Carlisle or Bloomington that sold harnesses, but also sold some individual parts like clips, retainers, bulbs, and fuses. I think it was called "Eagle" or something. They might be able to help you out. You would think correct fusible links would be available as spare parts since their design purpose is to burn into when the wire is overloaded.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:36 PM
sb69coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now, if I could just find fusible links in the right color, (orange), I'd be home free. Chuck
Chuck,

Check at your local CarQuest store. I'm pretty sure they can order the fusible link in orange. I think it's in their parts book in the bulk wiring section. At least my parts man told me so a few weeks back when I was chasing a dead short.....

Shannon

Get notified of new replies

To Fusible Link Replacement

Quick Reply: Fusible Link Replacement