Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

A question for anyone in the NCRS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:51 AM
shortski
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default A question for anyone in the NCRS

I have an 82 CE that I'm thinking of restoring, was wondering if I can do the CE decal package in air brush rather than the original decals and still be considered as restored to as original for NCRS judging.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:54 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm not in the NCRS but I would think no, the decal package is available. Why not ask this question on the NCRS site?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 AM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

no, if it's painted or airbrushed rather than the decal you will get points deduction. In fact, chances are you will get two seperate points reductions - one for the decals being incorrect, and another for the paint being incorrect because it was painted on instead of having decals on.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:47 AM
shortski
Drifting

Thanks for the replies, joined the NCRS board and asked the question over there.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:27 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just as a general comment, NCRS does not have rules about how to restore a car. The concept of Flight Judging is to make the car look identical to showroom delivery. How you get there is your business and your business alone.

If your airbrush painter could replicate every little nuance of the original decal, then there would be no deduction.
Old 08-10-2007, 12:42 PM
avalonjohn
Le Mans Master

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Ward
Just as a general comment, NCRS does not have rules about how to restore a car. The concept of Flight Judging is to make the car look identical to showroom delivery. How you get there is your business and your business alone.

If your airbrush painter could replicate every little nuance of the original decal, then there would be no deduction.
no way..........NCRS would hammer you if you airbrushed it.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:58 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...If your airbrush painter could replicate every little nuance of the original decal, then there would be no deduction...
Nope. You'd lose originality points for sure since the original graphics are decals.

If you're serious about having the car judged, go with the repro decal package. Possibly better and certainly more expensive, see if you can scare up an NOS set. Better yet, if the paint and graphics are otherwise in good shape, why not leave them alone?

Last edited by Easy Mike; 08-10-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:06 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Nope. You'd lose originality points for sure since the original graphics are decals.

I said every nuance, not some- if it quacks like a duck, and waddles like a duck etc.

NCRS Flight Judging deals with what things appear to be, not what they might or might not actually be. If the judges cannot specifically identify how a part deviates from an original, no deduction can be made. I've seen painters do an excellent job of making paint look a decal.

A parallel example is cars that a painted with base/clear, but finished to LOOK like lacquer. No deduction.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:55 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

True Mike, as long as it APPEARS as original, but that would have to be one AWESOME airbush job to make it look and feel like a decal!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:37 AM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Very valid point Barry and I think Dr. Pat answered it best of all over on the dark side. It would be penny wise but pound foolish to airbrush when an excellent repro decal set is alreay available.

What I was trying to get at was the ongoing misconception over NCRS Flight Judging principles. The example was a bit of a stretch, but the concept applies nonetheless.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:22 PM
V-man
Instructor

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by avalonjohn
no way..........NCRS would hammer you if you airbrushed it.
I agree.......having been there myself, NCRS is National Corvette Restorers Society.......must be oringinally restored to the specs of GM as it were when the original owner took delivery. To simplify decals not air brushed......sorry
Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 PM
shortski
Drifting

Thanks for the feed back. I asked the same question on the NCRS forum and got the same mix of answers. I'll just have to go to a few local meetings and meet a judge or two to get the definitive answer.

I want to do it right, I think I have an untouched 1982 Collectors Edition with 47K, a few of the accessories don't work but I'm pretty good at reading a schematic and in my younger day I was an ASE certified mechanic.

Thanks,

Don
Old 08-12-2007, 07:50 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,859 Likes on 1,102 Posts

The definitive answer is that it must appear to be a decal, as original; the best way to accomplish that is to use a decal. If it's painted instead and detected, you'll get a TOTAL deduction for paint (85 points).

Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 PM
j3studio
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 235 Likes on 77 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by JohnZ
The definitive answer is that it must appear to be a decal, as original; the best way to accomplish that is to use a decal. If it's painted instead and detected, you'll get a TOTAL deduction for paint (85 points).
Old 08-13-2007, 09:50 AM
tls630
Melting Slicks

Airbrushing will not give you the edge like a decal !
Old 08-13-2007, 10:51 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by viet630
Airbrushing will not give you the edge like a decal !
Exactly.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:46 PM
Mike Ward
Race Director

Originally Posted by shortski
Thanks for the feed back. I asked the same question on the NCRS forum and got the same mix of answers. I'll just have to go to a few local meetings and meet a judge or two to get the definitive answer.
The majority of people that gave you explicit, factual answers both here and on the other site are indeed very experienced NCRS judges. You will most likely get the same answers face to face as it might just be the same people. In any case, you really need to understand the judging system and it's principles BEFORE you start restoring your car for Flight Judging.

There's tons of misconceptions of 'how it works' both on the internet and with direct word of mouth.

Get notified of new replies

To A question for anyone in the NCRS

Quick Reply: A question for anyone in the NCRS