Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Who reads Hemmings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2001, 07:27 PM
67's
Le Mans Master

Received 386 Likes on 270 Posts

Default Who reads Hemmings?

Did anyone see the ProTeam ad if your friend buys a corvette from us we will give you $500, would anyone send a "friend" there?

Tom
Old 12-07-2001, 08:32 PM
Corvettes White
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Who reads Hemmings? (Tom McCabe)

If there is $500 extra for me then how much are the cars overpriced? No way to treat ones friends. :rolleyes:

George
Old 12-09-2001, 01:35 AM
Viking427
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nobody...anymore.
$40 min/year subscription, 1st class mail, cell phone waiting by the mailbox and everything worth its salt is still sold before the inks dry :mad
Old 12-09-2001, 01:46 AM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder what 40 watt bulb over in Advertising at ProTeam came up with this idea? :nonod:
Old 12-11-2001, 09:13 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts

A friend of mine bought his 66 Coupe from Pro Team. They were asking $29,995 for it. My friend bought it for $27,000. The car is near show quality. It needs new carpet. Pro Team did gave an honest discription of the car. After seeing it, i was impressed with the car. :chevy
Old 12-11-2001, 11:42 AM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Who reads Hemmings? (DavidB)

an uninformed buyer could do a lot worse. A Pro Team customer might pay a premium, but they're probably not going to get roasted as badly as if they got in over their head, say, buying a project car from a private owner.
As a mere lad, I learned that an uninformed buyer shopping for a used car at a dealer, Corvette, Honda, whatever, is a defenseless babe in indian country. You WILL be scalped, raped, mutilated, and left for dead. Most individuals do not enter into enough sales to be completely insensitive to the suffering that another person will endure through their deceipt; when asked point-blank questions, individuals will either be compelled to tell the truth, or to parse words which reveals the truth.

Being naive, it will probably take you a while to realize you have been ravaged, but those are the facts of life. Dealers do their business everyday, and they have honed it to the razors edge; if they realize you are ignorant of the process, most of them have no moral restraint to siphon as much of your personal wealth or anticipated future earnings as possible, until it becomes obviously criminal. Car dealers and lawyers will be claiming a disproportionate number of places in Hell.

...it's probably kind of like meeting your girlfriend through a dating service. You might hit if off great, but you'll never tell the rest of your friends how you met!
I think personal ads are a great institution, but in this case, I am reminded of that ole rock song (Joe Crocker?): "Can this be...my beautiful wife???"...Can this be my beautiful wife...with gonorhea???

My comments are not directed at any legitimate, ethical dealers or any to any specific dealers in particular.

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 8:51 AM 12/11/2001]
Old 12-11-2001, 03:16 PM
BlueShark29
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Who reads Hemmings? (DavidB)

OK !! I'll bite ! :D
I bought the 3rd Vette I now own ('65 Coupe) through Pro Team. The '65 Convertible and '81 Coupe were from private individuals, and I wanted a matching Coupe for the roadster. I have spoken with Terry Michelis (the owner) several times at various car shows and felt comfortable that I could get an honest answer if the question was asked.
When I spotted the Rally Red '65 Coupe on his website, I inquired about it's condition and any known problems with it, as I did not have the time to fly up to his dealership to see the car. I was told the condition of all components I asked about (it was a number's matching 350 hp car) and of it's current driveability, etc. After haggling the price down from his asking price, I agreed to buy it on his return policy (if it is not what you were described, etc you can return it). It was exactly as described. (It was just a 36 year old car with minor mechanics maintained, but mostly as it left the factory). So, it needed quite a bit of work, but it ran and it was all there.
Sorry for the long story, but I believe if you ask the right questions you will get an honest reply, and if the price is high, you can work with him to get closer to what you are willing to pay. If there are others interested in that vehicle, I am sure it would be difficult, as with any car dealer, they are in business to make money and will go with the higher offering.

Get notified of new replies

To Who reads Hemmings?

Quick Reply: Who reads Hemmings?