Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Job Number

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2001, 03:31 PM
9t6t7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Job Number

I have started to clean up the frame on my 67(body never been off)by cleaning the frame and preparing to to touch up, when I found the number 360 (white crayon)on the right foot well of the body. My car is a Sept built car (512), trim tag reads B12, body S 0095 and the tank sticker has a hand written # 7 on it. How are these numbers related? I did find my frame numbers when I removed the side exhaust and its correct. What is the best way to preserve the crayon number and should I just wipe down the frame or just wipe it down and touch up the frame areas where surface rust is present. Thanks, Dick

:cheers:
Old 12-16-2001, 05:03 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Job Number (9t6t7)

I found the number 360 (white crayon)on the right foot well of the body. My car is a Sept built car (512), trim tag reads B12, body S 0095 and the tank sticker has a hand written # 7 on it. How are these numbers related?
There have been extensive discussions about how these numbers are related, and I think the upshot is that there is no relationship, or else we are not smart enough to figure out what the algorithm was. :D

The "job number" was arbitrarily assigned in a production sequence from 001 to 499 (?) to identify the equipment the unit that was to receive, and was repeated endlessly; it was totally unrelated to the VIN number, and I am not sure that "job numbers" were even necessarily in sequence on the assembly line. JohnZ, who was there when it happened, is "Da' Man" when it comes to explaining how these numbers were assigned (I'm waiting on the book, John...I want a "signed" copy :D ).

What is the best way to preserve the crayon number and should I just wipe down the frame or just wipe it down and touch up the frame areas where surface rust is present.
In the case of the crayon number on the foot well, it is probably not necessary to do anything. This number was not blacked out or you wouldn't be able to see it now, and it has survived this long; I would clean up the firewall carefully and put the car back together.

Your course of action on the frame should depend on what you think needs to be done to the frame, rather than what should be done to perserve the frame part number/ date stencil. If you think that the frame is in good enough shape to look like new with a "touch up", then do that. You can probably mask off the stencil area, or avoid spraying that area, and nearly get a full paint of the frame.

On the other hand, if the frame is bad enough to need sand blasting, the frame stencils are available from Quanta Products, so it's not like the frame stencil is irreplaceable if lost to sandblasting. I can't say how close to the original Quanta's midjeer stencils are, but the shark stencils are very close. In my case, I did take special pains to record the actual position of the stencil in order to put it back in the original location.

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 2:04 PM 12/16/2001]

[Modified by Chuck Sangerhausen, 2:42 PM 12/16/2001]
Old 12-16-2001, 05:32 PM
Ron D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You will also see JOB NUMBERS on each door, behhind the door panels, If your car is a coupe it will also be on the roof on the inside as well a date code. The best way to preserve these is in photographs as you will most likey paint over these markings when restoring your car. Depending on how heavy the crayon markings are you may be able to just paint over them and watch the paint bleed away over them and just touch them up later with another crayon in the correct color(which most likely will be white). If you do photograph them make sure to hold up a tape measure next to them to get some thing to go by or scale to, if you intend on placing these marks back on your car.
Old 12-16-2001, 11:05 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Job Number (Patrick Tighe)

Here is a fiberglass relief impression of the VIN# that I took off my '67's frame. It is stamped on the top of the frame, just by the driver's seat. I think this a neat piece of documentation to have. :yesnod:

Whoaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Stop.........hold the presses!

What's this, Patrick? :D
I don't remember seeing the "Here's my body lift photos" thread in the past few days.

Whazzzzzzzzzzzzup?
:D
Old 12-17-2001, 12:45 AM
Ron D
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Job Number (67HEAVEN)

Trick photography :D He actually did this quite a while ago (The impression) Neat idea if you ask me, but nobody asked me so I'll just shut up :D

Yeah Right, like that will ever happen :lol: :lol: :lol: :yesnod:
Old 12-17-2001, 01:01 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Re: Job Number (Ron D)

Dick -

See my post responding to yours on the NCRS Tech Board.
Old 12-17-2001, 02:34 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I agree with Chuck -- there is probably no correlation among the numbers you have found and (probably) will continue to find. "360" could be an inspector's mark, but is more likely the job number assigned to the body of your Corvette in the body shop. Assigning job numbers was an informal process and used only as an in-house method of telling one bare body from another. In his workshop at Bloomington, Dave Burroughs explained the line at St. Louis could hold a maximum of about 500 Corvettes in various stages of assembly. For that reason, the job numbers usually run from 1 to 500, then begin again with 1. Green grease pencil seems to have been a favorite, but red and white have been reported.
:)
Old 12-17-2001, 02:42 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,468 Likes on 1,247 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Here is a fiberglass relief impression of the VIN# that I took off my '67's frame. It is stamped on the top of the frame, just by the driver's seat...
It's very likely you will also find this number stamped on the top of the frame rail in front of the #4 body mount, driver's side. Since they were done by the same workman with the same tool, the characters should be an exact match. The same series (7S122526) ought to be on the pad on your engine.
:)
Old 12-17-2001, 09:23 PM
67HEAVEN
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You weren't just seeing if we'd fall for it (like I did) hmmmm? :D
Old 12-17-2001, 09:34 PM
9t6t7
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I found my #'s the same way, cleaned the area with a cotton work glove , then used a mirror and a light and there is was. I am going to use a digital camera to take a photo of it and put it with the other id paper work. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Job Number

Quick Reply: Job Number