Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Midyear Jack Resto

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 08:40 PM
3Mar67
Pro

Received 170 Likes on 55 Posts

Default Midyear Jack Resto

I'm repainting my original 1967 jack. Anyone know if the ENTIRE jack was painted black? The long "screw", the washers...etc. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2002, 08:59 PM
Mac
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Midyear Jack Resto (3Mar67)

The last time someone asked about this, I think the consensus was the whole jack is painted. A couple of guys felt the screw was natural but, if I remember correctly, they conceded the paint was likely scraped off upon operation.

I'm sure the experts will kick in soon. Let's go, guys!
Old 04-06-2002, 09:21 PM
JmpnJckFlsh
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Midyear Jack Resto (Mac)

Macster, we were talking about Shark jacks, 68 or maybe 69 if I remember correctly. I forget what we decided. A couple of the guys had original unmolested jacks that they described.

I can't begin to tell you what a 67 jack should look like. If the jack now has a rusty thrust bearing on the screw with no evidence of the bearing ever being painted, I would say the natural screw was assembled into the jack after the scissors assembly was painted. No one has explained to me how the entire jack could be dip painted, and the thrust bearing remain natural, which is what I have observed.

Get notified of new replies

To Midyear Jack Resto

Quick Reply: Midyear Jack Resto