Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Value Reduction Non Original Motor

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:03 PM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Value Reduction Non Original Motor

Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Am looking at buying a 65-67 Corvette Coup. Trying to figure a baseline for valuation. My question...If "2" 65 Corvette Coups were indentical in EVERY aspect!!!....except "1" had the factory original L79 motor & the other had a generic 350 cubic inch Chevy motor. What value would the original motor add to the car?...or another way to view it...What value is lost by having the generic 350 cubic inch motor?...THanks, for any & all input,advice, suggestions!!...Mark
Old 02-16-2013, 02:11 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sidepipe seeker
Hello Fellow Enthusiasts; Am looking at buying a 65-67 Corvette Coup. Trying to figure a baseline for valuation. My question...If "2" 65 Corvette Coups were indentical in EVERY aspect!!!....except "1" had the factory original L79 motor & the other had a generic 350 cubic inch Chevy motor. What value would the original motor add to the car?...or another way to view it...What value is lost by having the generic 350 cubic inch motor?...THanks, for any & all input,advice, suggestions!!...Mark
Welcome to the forum!

You need to describe the rest of the car. A NOM in a custom resto-mod would have little effect on price - most of the car is already change, the fact that the motor is changed wouldn't matter much.

On-the-other-hand, if the car is all original EXCEPT for the motor - that would be a serious hit. How much? Figure the cost of finding a block with proper casting date and configuration, rebuild , etc, etc.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:36 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Which car do you want? One is otherwise original, one is not. You can expect asking prices to reflect that. Do you intend to have the car judged?

If you are serious about buying a C2, do your homework. There is an almost infinite amount of printed material concerning these cars.

You may want to consider joining the National Corvette Restorers Society. http://www.ncrs.org/

Last edited by Easy Mike; 02-16-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:51 AM
sidepipe seeker
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Easy Mike
Which car do you want? One is otherwise original, one is not. You can expect asking prices to reflect that. Do you intend to have the car judged?

If you are serious about buying a C2, do your homework. There is an almost infinite amount of printed material concerning these cars.

You may want to consider joining the National Corvette Restorers Society. http://www.ncrs.org/

Hello Mike; In regards to having the car judged, "No"...my intentions are to find a bone stock, orginal car that I can enjoy & possilby have some appreciation. It appears from my research that "originality" is a very sought after quality. I'm not talking to the extreme of making sure the hose clamps are factory, but I would want at the minimum a matching drive line. A 327 Chevy motor is fairly "Bullet Proof", & unless you spin a bearing or suck a valve, & don't over rev it thinking it's a Cosworth F1 motor, extremely reliable. Upon my purchase, I can always remove the factory drive train to ensure it's preservation & replace with a "Built Up" 327 & a 5 speed...Thanks for your input & suggestions....Mark
Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 AM
corvettekent
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C1 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I you are planning on driving the car and not having it judged I would buy the NOE because the original motor car may be a restamp anyway. I would look for one with a 327 in it over a 350.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:51 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

IMO there's no good reason for a performance seeker to modify any C2 anymore as far more performance can be had for less money by buying a late model Z06.

Get notified of new replies

To Value Reduction Non Original Motor

Quick Reply: Value Reduction Non Original Motor