Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

1973 Frame markings/stencils

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1973 Frame markings/stencils

I am going through a full frame-off restoration on a 1973 454/4spd/ac car. The car is all original and only has 4x,xxx miles on it. I had the frame sandblasted and I just finished brushing the original style asphalt-based paint onto it. Before assembly I would like to do the correct paint markings but those original markings were long gone even before sandblasting. The VIN stamps are in amazing shape so I can verify that it's correct. Can anyone point me in the right direction on what the correct stamps were? Does anyone sell the correct stencil/paint for this? The control arms still have GM stickers and yellow part numbers painted as well but are otherwise in bad shape so I would like to blast/repaint them as well but I'm unsure if anyone reproduces these stickers/stencils. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2016, 10:24 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,315 Posts

Do you have the NCRS 73 Judging Manual? I'm not real familiar with that particular manual, but it should contain info on many of the original markings.

Quanta Products makes frame detailing kits with all of the correct paints and stencils, but they only make them for Corvettes built through 1972. I would reach out to Quanta and see if they can help you. I'm sure many of the markings on a 73, are the same or similar to those used in 72, and if you have the frame part number, they can probably make a frame stencil.

http://www.gastanks.com/Chassis-Detailing/products/283/

As far as the a-arm labels, none of them are being repro'ed, that I'm aware of. You should be able to recreate them, if the ones on your car are still legible. You can get label paper for your home printer, and most business supply companies can make rubber address stamps. Photograph and measure the labels, and if you can't do it yourself, find someone with computer skills to create a new label and print it out on label paper. Do the same thing with the part number, but instead of making a label from it, use it to make a rubber address stamp, and then use some yellow paint and the stamp, to stamp the part numbers.

I see you live here in NJ. Do you belong to the NCRS, or the Central Jersey Chapter of the NCRS. The Central Jersey Chapter is a very good group, with quite a few knowledgeable members. They meet monthly in Hightstown, if you're interested in joining or attending a meeting, send me a PM, and I give you the details.
Old 01-04-2016, 10:05 AM
Condo_454C3
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did use their chassis paint which was great. The stickers on the arms aren't legible and google hasn't been helpful so I will have to look around and see what I can reproduce. Google also hasn't been helpful with that part number. Does anyone know it?

Last edited by Condo_454C3; 01-04-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 Frame markings/stencils

Quick Reply: 1973 Frame markings/stencils