Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Rare corvette heads??

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 04:02 PM
jkyncl
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rare corvette heads??

Gentlemen: I am a new member but am not a corvette owner. I joined to get some questions answered.

Years ago, i bought an engine from a gentleman to put in my gmc 4wd pickup. He informed me that it was some kind of 4bm special engine. I was in a hurry and spaced off what he said. It didn't matter anyway, at the time, cause all i was interested in was the fact that i needed an engine in my truck. I ran it for several years and then parked it in 94. It's been sitting in the truck, in the weeds since then. Today i finally got around to looking at the head casting numbers and and the block deck. I could not see any markings on the block pad, but the head numbers are 3873858. It has a gm snowflake aluminum intake on it and what i believe to be a holley 850 double pumper. I attempted to see the casting numbers on the rear of the engine but was unsuccessful. Can someone tell me if there's some kind of marking or feature that would be in plain sight, other than the pad, that i could look for; or do i need to crawl under the truck and look for casting numbers? If so, what side of the block are they on?? I know there's probably casting dates on the heads but forgot what to look for. Any help would be appreciated and possibly any leads of person(s) interested in it if it truly is a rare engine. I could probably also post some pics if anyone needs them. From what i have gathered at this point, it may be a 66 corvette engine......not sure though.
Old 07-04-2016, 03:18 PM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

is it a small block or a big block?,you need ti find the casting numbers on the rear of the block [ontop of where the tranny mounts] lets start there
Old 07-07-2016, 11:46 PM
jkyncl
5th Gear

Default Heads/motor

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
is it a small block or a big block?,you need ti find the casting numbers on the rear of the block [ontop of where the tranny mounts] lets start there
My bad......I thought the head numbers would give it away....it's a big block. I'm still in the process of crawling under the vehicle to get the numbers. It's sitting in zeka mosquito infested weeds.
Old 07-21-2016, 04:50 PM
bcstonic
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

A quick google search shows these heads to be off of '66 big block corvettes and fairly valuable. Worth chancing the zika virus to go get them. Depending on the casting date/condition could go for over $2000 for the pair.
Old 07-25-2016, 04:22 PM
jkyncl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bcstonic
a quick google search shows these heads to be off of '66 big block corvettes and fairly valuable. Worth chancing the zika virus to go get them. Depending on the casting date/condition could go for over $2000 for the pair.
  1. thanks bcstonic for the info. I was fairly certain they were 66 vette. Somewhere i think i found they could possibly also be correct for the 65 ss 396 z16 chevelle.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:09 PM
68ACADIAN
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

What's the casting number on the intake? Last 3 digits will be good enough........
Old 07-25-2016, 06:01 PM
Bigwave01
Navigator

If you look at the oil filter on the block and their is a 3/4" pipe plug visible Then it is a 4 bolt main block. Serial number is behind drivers side head and fire wall.
Old 07-26-2016, 02:27 PM
jkyncl
5th Gear

Ok, thanks. I will make another attempt now that i know for sure where to look. I have a flex-shaft camera that may get the job done.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:39 PM
bmfvette
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 74 Posts

Where are you located in your Zika infested opinion?
Old 08-05-2016, 01:12 PM
jkyncl
5th Gear

Originally Posted by bmfvette
where are you located in your zika infested opinion?

omaha nebraska

Get notified of new replies

To Rare corvette heads??

Quick Reply: Rare corvette heads??