Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

*~*~* Forum parking at Bloomington Gold - parking details inside *~*~*

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 10:15 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for setting up the parking. I liked parking on the grounds, but it did seem like there were a LOT of clubs that were parked MUCH closer than we were.

Mabey it was just me, and the fact that I wasn't feeling well when I left, but it seemed like a LONG hike to the car.

At any rate, the cruise there and show itself were a LOT of fun.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:57 PM
Mark-44
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Cadillac Tech
The CF parking and the whole day was great...I got out just ahead of the storm. It was great to see the L88 collection. This morning I got to see a '62 roll (and crash) into a '66. It was not a pretty sight. Both cars were to be auctioned off this evening. Looking forward to next year.

Bruce

Old 06-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by SimonStern
Thanks for setting up the parking. I liked parking on the grounds, but it did seem like there were a LOT of clubs that were parked MUCH closer than we were.

Mabey it was just me, and the fact that I wasn't feeling well when I left, but it seemed like a LONG hike to the car.
Just a couple things to mention here...

The parking IMO is quite good, and in a great location, especially with close proximity to the east entrance/exit. If you think you walked far, you should have been there 4 years ago when we were literally at the very back middle of the course.

Yes, the private clubs are a little closer to the show, but realize they pay extra for that too. I don't think the forum parking idea would ever be successful at $60/car like club parking is.

The forum parking idea came about because of my first experience there. I knew most of the Chicago crew, but was unfamiliar with Bloomington Gold, so I joined the caravan from D&Bs, and the caravan into the show was about 25 cars strong that year.
Upon arriving on the course, the parking coordinators there split the arriving cars up, sending one in one direction, the next car in another direction, and so on. Everyone got parked all over the course on different fairways, and it was rather disappointing to not be able to park with the friends I arrived with. As you know, trying to find someone there once you lose them is quite difficult.

So, the forum parking was created to address that, and just get all the forum folk grouped in a common area, so friends can find each other quickly, maybe kick back in a chair and chat for a while, etc.
The dash cards with forum name and hometown is also cool, because you can browse the cars and see who's all there. We've had forum members from as far as Florida, New Jersey, even California in attendance. You Chicago-local guys are rather spoiled with this show being right in your backyard, but do realize people come from all over the country to attend this, and it's a good opportunity to meet and visit with some of those non-local members you don't see every weekend.

The point is, it's not about having the best or closest spot possible. It's about the forum camaraderie, as well as showing off the strength of the forum to the rest of the show attendees, as evident by the number of cars we bring in.

I unfortunately, was not able to attend this year, but I'm glad to hear the forum area was filled up Saturday.
Thanks all who attended and enjoyed the forum parking, and of course a big thanks to Mike at Bloomington Gold for continuing to support us.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:31 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by Y2Kvert4me
Just a couple things to mention here...

The parking IMO is quite good, and in a great location, especially with close proximity to the east entrance/exit. If you think you walked far, you should have been there 4 years ago when we were literally at the very back middle of the course.

Yes, the private clubs are a little closer to the show, but realize they pay extra for that too. I don't think the forum parking idea would ever be successful at $60/car like club parking is.

The forum parking idea came about because of my first experience there. I knew most of the Chicago crew, but was unfamiliar with Bloomington Gold, so I joined the caravan from D&Bs, and the caravan into the show was about 25 cars strong that year.
Upon arriving on the course, the parking coordinators there split the arriving cars up, sending one in one direction, the next car in another direction, and so on. Everyone got parked all over the course on different fairways, and it was rather disappointing to not be able to park with the friends I arrived with. As you know, trying to find someone there once you lose them is quite difficult.

So, the forum parking was created to address that, and just get all the forum folk grouped in a common area, so friends can find each other quickly, maybe kick back in a chair and chat for a while, etc.
The dash cards with forum name and hometown is also cool, because you can browse the cars and see who's all there. We've had forum members from as far as Florida, New Jersey, even California in attendance. You Chicago-local guys are rather spoiled with this show being right in your backyard, but do realize people come from all over the country to attend this, and it's a good opportunity to meet and visit with some of those non-local members you don't see every weekend.

The point is, it's not about having the best or closest spot possible. It's about the forum camaraderie, as well as showing off the strength of the forum to the rest of the show attendees, as evident by the number of cars we bring in.

I unfortunately, was not able to attend this year, but I'm glad to hear the forum area was filled up Saturday.
Thanks all who attended and enjoyed the forum parking, and of course a big thanks to Mike at Bloomington Gold for continuing to support us.

and a big thanks to you Tom again for setting this up. I went with a small caravan Saturday morning and we drove right in, all of the staff knew right were to direct us and there was plenty of space to park.

The way I see it, far or close parking, you're gonna end up walking alot regardless.

Last edited by FrankTank; 06-30-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:49 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

Good Spot Close Is Good . One Year We Parked At The Far West Point Of The Corse Not Fun To Walk Back & Forth That Was The Year We Barrowed The Golf Cart
Old 06-30-2008, 06:19 PM
50MileSmile
Burning Brakes

Received 213 Likes on 97 Posts

Gee, I thought the east end was a great place to park – easy in, easy out, Corvette Forum folks all around and a short walk to the vendors. I even entered through the west gate once and drove the cart paths just to be sure. I didn't see anywhere else I thought would be better.

I vote for the same location next year!
Old 06-30-2008, 06:21 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Well said Tom
Old 06-30-2008, 06:24 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by 50MileSmile
I vote for the same location next year!

This was the third year we've occupied that same fairway, and I too, hope it remains the same in the future.

Old 07-01-2008, 07:45 AM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Fair enough, and some excellent points.

Mabey it was just the fact that I wasn't feeling well when I went back to the car.

Oh, and I didn't realize the private clubs paid more for their parking spots, I agree that $60 a car is STEEP.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:19 AM
Cadillac Tech
Racer

I really liked the parking area...it was easy to find and was a beautiful location. It would be nice to have the same spot next year.

Bruce
Old 07-01-2008, 04:41 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Originally Posted by SimonStern
I didn't realize the private clubs paid more for their parking spots, I agree that $60 a car is STEEP.
I believe the $60 does include 2 two-day admission passes to the event, so the reality is they are getting what they paid for, unless of course they choose to only attend one day.

But, for the forum aspect, I know the attendance trends, and telling people it would be $60 up front just wouldn't fly. In my experience there, Friday brings in maybe 50-60 cars...Sat brings in 140-150, and Sunday (from what I've heard) is pretty dismal, maybe 20-30 cars in the forum parking.

That tells me a LOT of people are only attending one day (Sarurday).

I also arrange the forum parking at Funfest each year, and it's the identical pattern of attendance there too. Saturday is always "the big day" to be at either event.

The other complication with the GoldClub parking, is they need to know the exact number of cars prior to the event...each club car basically gets it's own reserved spot for the weekend.
It would be impossible for me (or anyone) to accurately predict the forum turnout each year, short of setting up a registration system, which I'd rather not do, because it would inevitably leave people out who didn't register in time, etc.

Those two reasons is why the forum area is what it is, a unique blend between the general and club parking systems. I just give them my best guestimate of attendance each year..150 or so cars, and the fairway we've held for the past 3 years has had ample room for that amount, and plenty of room to grow if need be. That fairway is easily wide enough for 3 rows of cars the entire length, so we have a long way to go before calling it filled to capacity.

Old 07-01-2008, 04:44 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

This was the third year we've occupied that same fairway, and I too, hope it remains the same in the future.

Great location - and taking I-80 over to I-355 sure beat that I-294 tollroad.

Thanks Tom.
Old 07-01-2008, 05:40 PM
Harley2Vette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Tom for the effort. The parking was great. My first time and enjoyed it very much.
Old 07-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Cadillac Tech
Racer

For the 4th year in a row, Bloomington Gold will again be welcoming the Corvetteforum members and providing us with our own special parking area.
For those who attended the past few years, this will seem very familiar...The dash sign will be identical as in pervious years, and I believe our parking area has remained the same too!

For those coming to this event, or coming to the forum area for the first time, the instructions to get in the area are very simple:

Print your dash sign, put it on your dash upon arrival to the show, and you're in! That's it! The perking crews will direct you appropriately upon arrival.

It does not matter if you pre-registered, or buying your tickets at the gate, this forum parking is completely independent of the show admission, and there is NO EXTRA COST for this special parking! This invitation is open to anyone who can print this sign!

This forum parking area will be there every day of the show.

Click here to print your dash sign

Clicking on the above link should automatically open your printer command box once the page and image loads...simply click OK, and printing will begin. I tried to make this as simple as possible, and in the past 3 years, I've not run into anyone experiencing problems.

The image should print perfectly on a standard 8x11" sheet of paper, although I recommend using cardstock or very heavy paper to make sure it doesn't blow off your dash. It should look something like this once printed:

For more info about the event itself, the show takes place June 26-29 at the beautiful Pheasant Run golf resort in St Charles, Il.
For more information, visit http://www.bloomingtongold.com/

If you have any other questions, or problems getting the dash sign printed, post here or PM me. I will do my best to help you out.

Hope to see lots of you there.

ttt
Old 07-14-2008, 05:58 PM
nextime
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kinda late for TTT huh?
Old 07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Y2Kvert4me
Race Director

CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Was thinking the same thing.

Show's over folks. in 2009.

Quick Reply: *~*~* Forum parking at Bloomington Gold - parking details inside *~*~*