Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Chicago peeps! Info please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 06:58 PM
G8rDMD
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
National Champs Gators 4 St. Jude '09
St. Jude Donor '10-'11
Default Chicago peeps! Info please!

Hey guys and gals!

My wife and I currently live in sunny, warm southwest Florida......
That being said, we are looking for a change and are thinking Chicago may be our final destination

Yes, I know that as I write this it is 74 degrees where I am and -3 degrees where I plan to be... But we are in our thirties, have always had the north in our hearts, and figure if we're ever going to do it, now is the time!

My question is this...we have both visited the city and loved it immediately. But where to live??? What are the nicer neighborhoods (i.e. safer, more upscale) both in the city and in the suburbs on the outskirts? I'm a dentist, so I'll obviously need to find a job--would it be better to look in the city, or again in the suburbs outlying the city? How much of a PITA is it to commute from the suburbs to the city for work on a daily basis?

If you have any input, please let me know Thanks in advance
Old 12-21-2008, 07:29 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 567 Posts

Try Libertyville, or Highland Park. North suburbs great towns great schools etc.etc.
Getting in and out of Chicago is a pain in the ***, unless you live there. Great place to live about 7 months a year.Winters are brutal as you well know.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12
Cruise-In 8, 9 & 11 Veteran

Let's just trade places.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:20 PM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

I would suggest Elmhurst IL . centrally located with great schools and great public transportation .......but you don't need to work in the city Chicagoland as we call it is A sprawling metropolitan area .............be beware though taxes are among the highest in the country so is the cost of living & gasoline . great food I say the best in the country . A pizza place on just about every corner
Old 12-21-2008, 08:38 PM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Anyplace south of I55 is good with me.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:45 PM
G8rDMD
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Thanks so far guys Keep the ideas coming
Old 12-21-2008, 08:53 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

What amount of $$ are you looking to spend on a home? Do you or will you have kids? These are a few major factors in where you will want to live. We can all give input but its no good if its out of your budget.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:58 PM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Robls6
Anyplace south of I55 is good with me.
Ignore this post unless you want to be ghettomates with Rob.

If you are a gun owner, avoid Cook County at all costs. Actually, just avoid the whole state.

If you absolutely must move to the Chicago area, Elmhurst is nice as Johnny says and outside of the corrupt cesspool known as Cook County.

Honestly, there are so many better places between here and Florida, I would look elsewhere. Personally, I am hoping to move to the Carolinas in the next year or two.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:03 PM
ZR1Owner
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I moved here 8 years agom from New England not knowing where to live also. I was single at the time, and reallly wanted to be in the city for that reason, but my lifestyle didn't really make that useful. I had 4 cars and 2 large dogs at the time, and that just didn't work for most places in the city.
I received about as many opinions as there were people to give them as to where to live! It depends so much on your lifestyle, pets, your family plans, and how many corvettes and cars you might own! You typically won't find larger than a 2 car garage in the city proper unless buy more spots in a condo ($25K plus for a spot, if they are availble), use car lifts, or just spend millions on that uber home that comes with a 4 plus garage.
Typical suburb issues and desire for space my drive your decision if you plan to have a family, or like me, need it for your life and toys now.
I agree with others that areas west of the city like Elmhurst, Oak Park, River Forest, Brookfield, and Oak Brook (while pricey) give you a great location, access to many highways and public transport, houses with decent yards and garages, and a manageable drive to just about anywhere in the Chicagolan area.
Cook county is a killer for taxes, but the others are no bargain either. But, I moved from Taxachusetts, so saved money in comparison!
Good luck, take your time in your search.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:15 PM
G8rDMD
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

Originally Posted by tommyn
What amount of $$ are you looking to spend on a home? Do you or will you have kids? These are a few major factors in where you will want to live. We can all give input but its no good if its out of your budget.
No kids, no real plans for kids either... Probably could spend $500k or so for a house at least as a start--nothing more than that
Old 12-21-2008, 09:25 PM
detn8tor
Advanced

Default Don't move here

I SAY AGAIN DON'T.................
I too visited the area before i moved here and while it looks nice on the outside.... it's all to deceiving on the inside nothing gels here.....nothing at all.......
People---- rude
taxes------out of control
cost of living------outrageous
driving on the road-----rude and inconsiderate
they constantly work on the roads and even then they drive like you owe them something...... two years left and im out of here....Do yourself the favor and just pick somewhere else to retire......I say this so oyu won't make the mistake that i have made.....

detn8tor
Old 12-21-2008, 10:04 PM
SimonStern
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

The city itself is not car-friendly to live in. If you are a car guy (and I assume you are) I'd reccomend the suburbs. I used to commute from Streamwood to Chicago (over 35mi one way) via public transportation on a daily basis, and it wasn't too bad. I liked that I could read/laptop/sleep on the train. YMMV. Driving that route every day would be mind numbing.

Gas prices are the worst, corruption is rampant, and the taxes are high. However, compared to some places, it can be better in some ways than others. For example: in Indiana you pay a % of the value of your car to renew the plates, in IL it's a flat rate. Tickets are about 1/3 the price in IL as they are in WI. Just some examples.

Cost of living in Chicago is pretty high, but that typically translates to higher pay for similar jobs vs. a different local.

Keep in mind, it is not advisable to drive a Corvette year-round on a daily basis. When there are big snow storms, the roads get nasty. Even if you are not worried about corrosion caused by the salt, or paint chips from the salt/salt trucks, and you have snow tires, you have to be worried about the soccer moms with bald all-seasons on their mini-vans slamming into you on their way to the nearest ditch. If you don't have a "winter beater" budget for one.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:36 PM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Suburbs... Like already said, the city is not as car friendly. I'm in Downers Grove, I think it's a pretty nice town... I'd look in this area, downers, naperville, and some of the surrounding suburbs..

-=Rick
Old 12-21-2008, 11:14 PM
Joel 67
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

see my post in the OT. I think it depends on a lot of things . . . will you be starting a practice or looking to buy one? Do you plan on having kids ever?

A lot of places mentioned like Elmhurst, Downers, Highland and the north burbs are all great communities to live in, BUT they are as old as hell and therefore saturated with dentists (not exactly a niche skill or new service). So if you want to start and develop a practice, you will have competition. And of course the better places in the city are the same or worse, plus real estate and commercial leases are insanely high and the schools are so-so.

PM me your # if you want to discuss communities and business opportunities. Lifelong Chicagoan (excepting some time in the military) and have lived/worked in city as well as the south, west, and north suburbs.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Robls6
Melting Slicks

Robbins... cheap taxes and housing
Old 12-22-2008, 10:16 AM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Robls6
Robbins... cheap taxes and housing

Harvey and Dixmore are cheap to
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 AM
perfectlyfrank
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts

Harvey and Dixmore are cheap to
Nothing surpasses the grand splendor of Calumet City.

Get notified of new replies

To Chicago peeps! Info please!

Old 12-22-2008, 10:40 AM
DevilDog II
Race Director

Received 888 Likes on 553 Posts
Oldtimer

I've lived in the northwest suburbs for 50 years and there are a number of great communities. Arlington Hts., Buffalo Grove, Palatine, Deerfield, Highland Park, Lake Forest, Libertyville, Vernon Hills, Naperville, Mt. Prospect, and many others have a great deal to offer. If you're concerned about crime rates, contact the local police department and speak to someone in the Crime Prevention Unit. They can give you crime stats and whether or not you're looking at a safe neighborhood. You might also want to speak to someone in the Chamber of Commerce to get an overview of the community and it's businesses. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2008, 12:30 PM
vader1
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a look at the southwest suburbs of Palos, Orland Park, Homer Glen, Frankfort and Mokena.

Very good schools, great transportation access and the prices are half of what they are in the west and north suburbs.
Old 12-22-2008, 06:23 PM
tinner73
Drifting

buyers market...$500 large gets you a lot of house now. n/w suburbs are nice.

Quick Reply: Chicago peeps! Info please!