Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Austria Guys Come To Indiana

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:08 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default Austria Guys Come To Indiana

Sat. about 6:00pm the guys from Austria arrived at my house in Greenwood, In. After introducing us all, we talked for a little bit and they looked over my garage and my Corvettes. They took pic and then in the house we went. I took them to the Corvette Room (my wife calls it) and they got to see some of the Corvette items and pic that I have collected over the years. After having all the water damage a month or so ago the room is still not 100% back together yet, but I think they liked it. Leaving the house they followed me about 2 miles to a place in Greenwood called the Suds. It is a place where the have a Curise Inn every Sat. night with about two hundred or so car show up. We got out and walked around and I am sure they like the cars they saw. Jochen must have taken a couple hundred pic's and was telling me that a lot of the cars at the Suds could not be driven in Austria. No fenders (on the T Buckets) tires sticking out past the car body, no hood over engine plus other things. They were very impressed at all the different cars they saw and will have plenty of pic to look at when they get home. After leaving the Suds I took them to Outback Steak House for dinner. They all ordered the same thing and I got the thumbs up that they like there meal. I called the Mgr. over and talked her into giving the guys an Outback Steak House Pin so they would remember there dinner with me. Now it is almost 10:00pm and I took them to get a room for the night. After talking to them they will be staying here till Wed. morning when they will be going to Bowling Green and Nashville Tn. (they are wanting to buy Cowboy Hats) and Cinn. Ohio. This morning (Sunday) they are going to the NHRA Hot Rod Nationals Drag Races all day. When they return they will call me and I will take them out for dinner and want them to tell me how there day went at the Drag Strip. Monday, I will take them to the Indianapolis 500 track and show them around Indy. Tuesday I will be taking them to one of my friends private Car Collection, he has about 40 cars and the place is decorated to the hilt, along with taking them to the Ray Skillman Car Collection and Museum here in Greenwood. I will keep you all posted about there stay here in Indiana for those of you who are following there progress. Just to let you all know, you could not ask for FOUR NICER GUYS.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
vettnutt
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I don't know the back story, but I bet those guys are really enjoying their visit. Heck, I haven't been to most of those places. Sure would like to someday though. Keep up the posts. I'd really like to hear their take on some of the places they've visited.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:02 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey Mike. I might have Skillman strip and paint my 85 this winter, you know dees guys?

Larry
Old 09-06-2010, 07:32 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by LD85
Hey Mike. I might have Skillman strip and paint my 85 this winter, you know dees guys?

Larry
Larry I know Ray but not the guys who would be doing the stripping of your paint.
The four guys from Austria spent all Sunday at the NHRA Hot Rod Nationals Drag Races. They got back to there Hotel room around 6:00pm and called me to say they were back. Using there GPS they are getting aroung very well. They had been to Hooters in MI and wanted to go to Hooters there for dinner Sunday night so that is where I took them. A couple of them were kind of red from being in the sun all day. Jochen told me that he took 400 pic just on Sunday at the Drags and had taken over 2000 pic so far while being here in the USA. They drank about 3 pitchers of beer at Hooters and had a few mini hamburgers, ff and cheese sticks and fried pickles. After that I took them next door to White Castle and bought them each one slider. Hell they liked them. Maybe White Castle should build a place in Austria. I got them back to there Hotel about 10:30 and I could tell and they also said that they were tired, must be jet lag. I am letting them sleep in this morning till about 10:00am and I will be picking them back up. We have a full day ahead of us. First stop will be at Ventmasters (a personal friend of mine) because one of them wants his Ventmaster product for his 2008 Z06. Next stop will be at a very good friend of mine to see his 70 Yellow Road Runner. Then from there to the Indianapolis 500 track. I am sure they will take plenty of pic there also. After leaving there we will head north to Carmel to another good friend of mine to pick him up and off we go to lunch at Mongolion Bar B Q. I think they will like this place for lunch. Afterwards I will show them some points of intrest here in Indianapolis. I will be taking them to Toys R Us because one of the guys wants to try to find an electric Corvette to buy and send back to Austria for his child to drive and ride in. I am not sure the make them anymore. I know I had one for my grandson several years ago. The same guy is wanting to buy a set of 20" wheels for his Z06 so we will also try to find them. They are planning to take most everything they are buying and put it in a large box and ship it all back to Austria, on a ship. They said it would take aboout 2 months for it to get there by boat, or ship. They are trying to see as much as they can while here in the USA and I do understand that. When it is time for them to return home to Austria they will be very tired but I think very happy with there visit here to the USA. You have to remember what we see and do everyday as we go about our everyday lives is all new and interesting to them. I will post more later on what and where I will be taking them on Tuesday. They will be leaving Indianapolis on Wed. morning heading for the NCM and Nashville Tn.
After they leave Indianapolis we will meet up again at Corvette Funfest in Effingham IL.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 09-06-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:36 PM
shooter1951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
Larry I know Ray but not the guys who would be doing the stripping of your paint.
The four guys from Austria spent all Sunday at the NHRA Hot Rod Nationals Drag Races. They got back to there Hotel room around 6:00pm and called me to say they were back. Using there GPS they are getting aroung very well. They had been to Hooters in MI and wanted to go to Hooters there for dinner Sunday night so that is where I took them. A couple of them were kind of red from being in the sun all day. Jochen told me that he took 400 pic just on Sunday at the Drags and had taken over 2000 pic so far while being here in the USA. They drank about 3 pitchers of beer at Hooters and had a few mini hamburgers, ff and cheese sticks and fried pickles. After that I took them next door to White Castle and bought them each one slider. Hell they liked them. Maybe White Castle should build a place in Austria. I got them back to there Hotel about 10:30 and I could tell and they also said that they were tired, must be jet lag. I am letting them sleep in this morning till about 10:00am and I will be picking them back up. We have a full day ahead of us. First stop will be at Ventmasters (a personal friend of mine) because one of them wants his Ventmaster product for his 2008 Z06. Next stop will be at a very good friend of mine to see his 70 Yellow Road Runner. Then from there to the Indianapolis 500 track. I am sure they will take plenty of pic there also. After leaving there we will head north to Carmel to another good friend of mine to pick him up and off we go to lunch at Mongolion Bar B Q. I think they will like this place for lunch. Afterwards I will show them some points of intrest here in Indianapolis. I will be taking them to Toys R Us because one of the guys wants to try to find an electric Corvette to buy and send back to Austria for his child to drive and ride in. I am not sure the make them anymore. I know I had one for my grandson several years ago. The same guy is wanting to buy a set of 20" wheels for his Z06 so we will also try to find them. They are planning to take most everything they are buying and put it in a large box and ship it all back to Austria, on a ship. They said it would take aboout 2 months for it to get there by boat, or ship. They are trying to see as much as they can while here in the USA and I do understand that. When it is time for them to return home to Austria they will be very tired but I think very happy with there visit here to the USA. You have to remember what we see and do everyday as we go about our everyday lives is all new and interesting to them. I will post more later on what and where I will be taking them on Tuesday. They will be leaving Indianapolis on Wed. morning heading for the NCM and Nashville Tn.
After they leave Indianapolis we will meet up again at Corvette Funfest in Effingham IL.
Hey Mike,
Sounds like they are having agreat time. You are showing them some good stuff. I'm going to try to catch up with them at Funfest. I had mentioned to Joshen he should try to work in a trip to the Chevrolet Hall of Fame Museum in Decatur, Il. Lavel Hunt, the museum owner just hired Howard Kirchenbauer from the Indy area as one of it's directors. Lavel, the 2008 Pace Car Director, is a true Pace car junkie and has several of his PC's on display. He just added one of only 19 2010 Camaro Indy Pace Cars #35. Hopefully Josten and his buddies get a chance to see it. If he does go have him e-mail, PM or call (217-521-0814) me before he goes and I'll be sure to meet up with them and show him around. I'll also check with Lavel and see if he can be there. Take care, Dave (Shooter)
Old 09-06-2010, 04:48 PM
r15
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You sound like a great host.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:45 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by shooter1951
Hey Mike,
Sounds like they are having agreat time. You are showing them some good stuff. I'm going to try to catch up with them at Funfest. I had mentioned to Joshen he should try to work in a trip to the Chevrolet Hall of Fame Museum in Decatur, Il. Lavel Hunt, the museum owner just hired Howard Kirchenbauer from the Indy area as one of it's directors. Lavel, the 2008 Pace Car Director, is a true Pace car junkie and has several of his PC's on display. He just added one of only 19 2010 Camaro Indy Pace Cars #35. Hopefully Josten and his buddies get a chance to see it. If he does go have him e-mail, PM or call (217-521-0814) me before he goes and I'll be sure to meet up with them and show him around. I'll also check with Lavel and see if he can be there. Take care, Dave (Shooter)
Dave I talked to the owner of that Museum when I was there for the CAC Event in June and tryed to sell him one of the five 1953 Corvettes I have access to. He did not want to spent that kind of $$$. I will have my 72 Ontario Orange BB at Mid America in the F/S area and I think that Jochem will kind of use my place in the F/S area as a resting point while at Funfest. They are staying at the Roadway Motel while in Effingham. They will be going out to dinner with me and my friends on Friday night. You are welcome to come with us if you like. Right now I think there is about 12 or 14 of us. Hell the more there is the more fun we will have. Let me know if you want to go out to eat with us so I will know how big a table to get. We will be going to the Lonestar (I think it is) next to the Hampton INN in Effingham. Mike

Last edited by Mike Terry; 09-06-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

The guys from Austria had a good time at the Indy 500 Museum and took a lot of pic. In the last 2 days Jochen has taken about 1000 pic. He will have a lot to show and talk about when they get home. Tomorrow (Tuesday) they will be going to the Ray Skillman Car Collection here in Greenwod, In. we will also be looking for a set of 20" wheels for one of there Corvettes so they can ship them back. There are a few other things I will be taking them to look for and buy so they can ship it back. One thing is an electric Corvette for one ot there daughters to drive. I also gave them some of my items that I have collected over the years. These 4 guys are in my book. I am glad I got to show them around Indianapolis and Greenwood, IN.

Last edited by Mike Terry; 09-07-2010 at 07:02 AM.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Today, Tuesday 09-07-10 I took the Austria guys to Toys R US to see about buying an electric Corvette for one of the guys 1 year old daughter (for when she gets older) then off to buy some 20" X 13" wheels for one of the guys 2008 ZO6 but they could not get them made in time for them to get and ship back to Austria. Then off to see the Ray Skillman Car Museum and Collection. They spent some 3 hours there and took about 300 pic. They are going to have a lot to show and tell there friends when they get home. After that it was out to eat at a Buffet. Yes these guys can eat and they do enjoy there food. We ended up in down town Indianapolis where hey wanted to go (for the first time) to a Hard Rock Cafe. They each had one beer and I had a soft drink. Wow it was about $56.00 I don't think the Hard Rock will see me again. Then they bought some Hard Rock shirts and bought my 2 beer glasses and gave to me for showing them around Indy and Greenwood. I got them back to there Hotel rooms about 8:30pm so they could pack some of there things and get a good nights sleep before heading out for Nashville Tn on Wed morning. I hope they have had as much fun here in Indianapolis and Greenwood, In. as I did meeting them and showing them around. I will meet up with them on 9-17-10 at Mid America for the Corvette Funfest. After Funfest they will go up to Chicago for a couple of day then fly back home to Austria. If you were lucky enough to meet these guys them you were blessed because they are 4 real nice Corvette Guys.
If you go to you tube and type in Ray Skillman it should come up with a tour of his car museum.
Old 09-07-2010, 11:56 PM
vettl98
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mike
for an perfect tour guide in Indianapolis
when everyone come to Indianapolis Greenwood
and want to visit the real good **** the must ask you
thanks from your 4 Austrian visitors it was unbelievable
to see so much real good stuff
and taste the real good stuff Mountain Dew
thanks for all Mike is was a real pleasure
see you soon in Effingham
Old 09-08-2010, 12:27 AM
YELLO1
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C5 of the Month 5/13

Hey Jochen,
Sounds like you guys have had a fabulous time so far and we hope that the remainder of your time here is just as exciting.

Make sure you give me a call as soon as you get here.
Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Be safe and we will see you Friday.

Irv
Old 09-13-2010, 07:58 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

The guys from Austria are all over the place checking out things here in the States. They are making the most of the time they are going to be here, as they should. Just e-mailed Jochen and they are on the move. They will be at the NCM and Corvette Plant this Thursday and then in Effingham on Friday thru Sunday.Then up to Chicago for a couple of days and then back to Austria. If you did not get to meet these guys then you missed 4 fun and crazy Corvette guys. We will party in Effingham with them at Funfest and at the Motel. I know that in less then one week here that Jochen had taken over 5000 pic. They will have stories to tell and pic to show friends when they get back home. I am sure that when they are at Funfest they will take plenty of pic there also. They love looking at Corvettes (and yes they each own a Corvette)and there will be plenty at Funfest for them to look at. As of right now we will be going out for dinner Friday night in Effingham with these guys. There should be about 12 or 14 of us, then back to the Motel for a few drinks.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 AM
UNKNOWN
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Sounds good.

Ask them about Gosser
Old 09-16-2010, 07:40 AM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

It is now Thursday Sept. 16th and the guys are in Bowling Green and will be going thru the NCM and the Corvette Plant. I know they will take plenty of pic at the NCM. To bad they can't take pic at the Plant but I am sure they will understand. From there they will be going to Corvette Funfest in Effingham IL. at Mid America. Knowing these guys as I do I know that they will be taking a few thousand of pic at Funfest as they will be walking around the show field looking at all the fantastic Corvettes on display. You have to remember that they have probably never seen as many Corvettes in one place as they will see at Funfest. I have all there paper work for Funfest, so they will call me when they get to Effingham and I will meet them at Mid America and give them there paper work for the weekend. I will be taking them out for dinner on Friday night along with some other friends of mine. There should be about 12 or 14 of us total. After spending 3 days at Funfest they will be heading to Chicago and will be looking at things of intrust there before catching there flight back to Austria in the middle of the week. I can truely say that I have met and spent time with four new friends and we will stay in touch with the hope of some day meeting up with then again. For all of you who got to meet and spend any time at all with these guys you know what a fun time you had and that they had. I just hope that they got to see everything that they came to the United States to see.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:56 PM
YELLO1
Drifting

C5 of the Month 5/13

It is now Thursday Sept. 16th and the guys are in Bowling Green and will be going thru the NCM and the Corvette Plant. I know they will take plenty of pic at the NCM. To bad they can't take pic at the Plant but I am sure they will understand. From there they will be going to Corvette Funfest in Effingham IL. at Mid America. Knowing these guys as I do I know that they will be taking a few thousand of pic at Funfest as they will be walking around the show field looking at all the fantastic Corvettes on display. You have to remember that they have probably never seen as many Corvettes in one place as they will see at Funfest. I have all there paper work for Funfest, so they will call me when they get to Effingham and I will meet them at Mid America and give them there paper work for the weekend. I will be taking them out for dinner on Friday night along with some other friends of mine. There should be about 12 or 14 of us total. After spending 3 days at Funfest they will be heading to Chicago and will be looking at things of intrust there before catching there flight back to Austria in the middle of the week. I can truely say that I have met and spent time with four new friends and we will stay in touch with the hope of some day meeting up with then again. For all of you who got to meet and spend any time at all with these guys you know what a fun time you had and that they had. I just hope that they got to see everything that they came to the United States to see.
Mike,
My Wife and I had the extreme pleasure of spending some time last weekend with Jochen, Stefan, Marcus and Wolfgang.
They came to Paducah because they happen to be coming through our area heading somewhere else and i thought they may enjoy a small town with a fairly good size annual car show.
They seemed to have a Great time and everyone had plenty of questions about their cars and Austria.
As far as my Wife and I are concerned we have made 4 new friends,we will keep in touch and look forward to a trip to Austria to see our new Corvette Friends.
We will be in Effingham Friday afternoon and all Day Saturday and are looking forward to seeing the guys again.
Would it be possible to join you guys for Dinner Friday night?
Thank You for keeping us informed and being such a great host,the guys couldn't stop talking about their wonderful time at Indianapolis.
One way or another i will be sure to stop by this weekend and say Hi.

Be safe,

Irv & Jeanie
Old 09-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YELLO1
Mike,
My Wife and I had the extreme pleasure of spending some time last weekend with Jochen, Stefan, Marcus and Wolfgang.
They came to Paducah because they happen to be coming through our area heading somewhere else and i thought they may enjoy a small town with a fairly good size annual car show.
They seemed to have a Great time and everyone had plenty of questions about their cars and Austria.
As far as my Wife and I are concerned we have made 4 new friends,we will keep in touch and look forward to a trip to Austria to see our new Corvette Friends.
We will be in Effingham Friday afternoon and all Day Saturday and are looking forward to seeing the guys again.
Would it be possible to join you guys for Dinner Friday night?
Thank You for keeping us informed and being such a great host,the guys couldn't stop talking about their wonderful time at Indianapolis.
One way or another i will be sure to stop by this weekend and say Hi.

Be safe,

Irv & Jeanie
Irv & Jeanie it would be a pleasure to have you join us for dinner on Friday night. Please stop by the For Sale area and see me. I will be setting next to the Ontario Orange 1972 BB. I will be getting to Funfest around 8 or 9am. We are staying at the Days Inn right next door to the Road Way where Jochen and the guys are stating. We will be eating at Lone Star Steak House just across the interstate from where we are staying. If you want you can call my cell to track me down. 317-945-5121 Mike Terry
Old 09-16-2010, 08:43 PM
YELLO1
Drifting

C5 of the Month 5/13

Irv & Jeanie it would be a pleasure to have you join us for dinner on Friday night. Please stop by the For Sale area and see me. I will be setting next to the Ontario Orange 1972 BB. I will be getting to Funfest around 8 or 9am. We are staying at the Days Inn right next door to the Road Way where Jochen and the guys are stating. We will be eating at Lone Star Steak House just across the interstate from where we are staying. If you want you can call my cell to track me down. 317-945-5121 Mike Terry
Thanks Mike,Looking forward to meeting you, your friends and seeing the guys again before they leave.
It looks like i will get to Effingham about 5pm,I'll give you guys a shout then.
Irv

Get notified of new replies

To Austria Guys Come To Indiana

Old 09-16-2010, 09:32 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by YELLO1
Thanks Mike,Looking forward to meeting you, your friends and seeing the guys again before they leave.
It looks like i will get to Effingham about 5pm,I'll give you guys a shout then.
Irv
Just call my cell. Where are you staying?
Old 09-16-2010, 10:00 PM
YELLO1
Drifting

C5 of the Month 5/13

Just call my cell. Where are you staying?
Will Do.

Hampton Inn.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

The 4 Corvette guys from Austria came to Corvette Funfest and had one hell of a nice time. Friday night I took them out for dinner and before it was all over with there were 11 of us at the Lone Star Steak House. We waited 1 1/2 hr to be seated and after I pitched a fit with the Mgr. she brought us 5 or 6 appatizers on the house. After going back to the hotel we set out and drank a few till about 2:00am just talking and finding out things about these guys and things about the area they live in. Sat the came back to Funfest and bought several items of which I will ship some things Monday morning for them. They walked all day while taking pic of everything they saw. Things that we think nothing about, they take pic of it. In 2 1/2 weeks these guys have taken sum 7 or 8000 pic and over 3 hrs of video tape. We sat out again Sat night till 2 am or so and drank and talked some more. Sunday morning they were packing up and getting ready to head to Chicago for a couple of days till there flight leaves out Tuesday late afternoon. If you got to meet these four guys then you were lucky because they are four true Corvette guys and where here to see the USA and have fun and they have. They told me that they got to see everything they had on there list to see and more. My friend Vince and I were invited by them to come to Austris as there guest and they will show us around there. With Vince and I both being retired, this may very well happen. I will miss them and there funny ways but I know now that I have 4 more Corvette friends only they are in Austria.

Quick Reply: Austria Guys Come To Indiana