Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Moving to OH

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 09:16 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Moving to OH

Hello Fellow members,

I have couple of questions to those living in Ohio. I am relocating to Ohio from CA in june. I have a house already selected. However, the driveway has a rolled curb. I have a 2010 GS and I am very afraid that it will not clear the curb. How do you guys deal with the rolled curbs? I am not getting rid of the car. I am thinking to raised the lowering bolts as high as they would go and remove the front splitter if it comes to it. Any solution you guys have implemented would help me out.

Also, hows the weather for the winter time? Im assuming snow, but how many months of the winter? I am set to pick up a second car for the winter as well.

I look forward to meeting new members in Ohio.

Julian
Old 05-15-2017, 07:25 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Where in Ohio. They get a lot of snow up north in the snow belt, a lot less along the river. I have not heard of any problems with a rolled curb from those with newer corvettes, but with my '66 my front tire will rub the fender if I do a sharp turn too fast when turning into the driveway. Here in Columbus, most put away their corvette as soon as the salt is applied usually in December and not brought out until the rain washes it away usually in April. Go Bucks
Old 05-15-2017, 07:49 AM
Black94LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'14

We had rolled curbs at our last house and my C4 was quite difficult to get in, I was able to back it in though as the driveway was relatively flat and low point of the car was the front air dam, so by backing it in the front tires came up the curb and kept the air dam from dragging.

My dad had his driveway apron repoured to eliminate the curb, I'm not sure if the city approved it or not.

I've also heard for the rubber filler pieces http://www.bridjit.com/ like these, but I've never seen them in use. At a minimum they would have to be removed before winter due to snow plows

Last edited by Black94LT1; 05-15-2017 at 07:49 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:54 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dahogan
Where in Ohio. They get a lot of snow up north in the snow belt, a lot less along the river. I have not heard of any problems with a rolled curb from those with newer corvettes, but with my '66 my front tire will rub the fender if I do a sharp turn too fast when turning into the driveway. Here in Columbus, most put away their corvette as soon as the salt is applied usually in December and not brought out until the rain washes it away usually in April. Go Bucks
Thanks for the reply. Moving to wright Patterson afb area. I guess I'll have to wait and see about the driveway. Wow December to April is goin to be a long wait.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:56 AM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black94LT1
We had rolled curbs at our last house and my C4 was quite difficult to get in, I was able to back it in though as the driveway was relatively flat and low point of the car was the front air dam, so by backing it in the front tires came up the curb and kept the air dam from dragging.

My dad had his driveway apron repoured to eliminate the curb, I'm not sure if the city approved it or not.

I've also heard for the rubber filler pieces http://www.bridjit.com/ like these, but I've never seen them in use. At a minimum they would have to be removed before winter due to snow plows
Thanks. I was thinking of bridjit but I think the C6 nose drill too long for my driveway. I'll have to wait and test it. Yeah I assume the same for winter time.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:23 PM
Daypoblue
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

I live near WPAFB. We also have rolled curbs in our neighborhood.
My c5 doesn't rub, Although mine isn''t lowered.

I did have a friend stop by with his lowered C5 last week.
He took the drive at an angle and he didn't rub/scrape either.

Good Luck & Welcome to the Miami Valley....

Last edited by Daypoblue; 05-15-2017 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:37 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Daypoblue
I live near WPAFB. We also have rolled curbs in our neighborhood.
My c5 doesn't rub, Although mine isn''t lowered.

I did have a friend stop by with his lowered C5 last week.
He took the drive a an angle and he didn't rub/scrape either.

Good Luck & Welcome to the Miami Valley....
Thanks.
Well what worries me is the splittler. I'll just have to wait and see. It would suck if I can't drive up and having to remove the splitter but oh well..
Old 05-15-2017, 10:06 PM
LemansBlueStingray
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Welcome to the area. I live about 15 minutes from WPAFB. Rolled curbs are pretty standard for this area. I can get my C5 Z06 at stock height out of the drive way without a problem if I take it at a very steep angle.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:29 AM
kvozel
Safety Car

Location: Centerville OH "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane"
Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
CI 3-4-5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Welcome to the Dayton area! I guess the real answer for your curb is "you gotta try it".

We try to have monthly Forum (and other) lunches during the summer. Just had out May lunch this past weekend.

Pay attention to the forum and hopefully we'll get to see you some time.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:58 PM
pickleseimer
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 212 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

I drive a C5, C6, and a C7. Going in front-first, none of these cars can get up or down my rolled curb without scraping the air dams, but they all clear by backing in using about a 45-degree approach to the curb until the front wheels are up and over the curb, then straighten it out to continue into the garage. When backing in, my driveway has a slight incline but not enough to tip the front down to the street surface before the front wheels climb the curb. The splitter on the 427-vert (which has the lowest front clearance of the three) has never contacted the curb going in front or back first - the air dams are the only thing that have scraped.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:52 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LemansBlueStingray
Welcome to the area. I live about 15 minutes from WPAFB. Rolled curbs are pretty standard for this area. I can get my C5 Z06 at stock height out of the drive way without a problem if I take it at a very steep angle.
Thanks. Yeah I guess well have to see how it all works out.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:54 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kvozel
Welcome to the Dayton area! I guess the real answer for your curb is "you gotta try it".

We try to have monthly Forum (and other) lunches during the summer. Just had out May lunch this past weekend.

Pay attention to the forum and hopefully we'll get to see you some time.

Yes. I guess we shall see about the curb. I will keep my eye open. I have to attend training but will be back early sep. Do you guys get a lot of snow? put the corvette away for winter?
Old 05-18-2017, 08:56 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pickleseimer
I drive a C5, C6, and a C7. Going in front-first, none of these cars can get up or down my rolled curb without scraping the air dams, but they all clear by backing in using about a 45-degree approach to the curb until the front wheels are up and over the curb, then straighten it out to continue into the garage. When backing in, my driveway has a slight incline but not enough to tip the front down to the street surface before the front wheels climb the curb. The splitter on the 427-vert (which has the lowest front clearance of the three) has never contacted the curb going in front or back first - the air dams are the only thing that have scraped.
Thanks for the info. I guess I have to wait and see. My driveway does have an incline. IDK. guess ill test it out and remove the splitter if it wont clear.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:57 PM
kvozel
Safety Car

CI 3-4-5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
Do you guys get a lot of snow? put the corvette away for winter?
Generally the answer is not much snow. Usually one or two times a season with multiple inches. This past year was very light. I only used my snow blower once.

Most do put the car away for winter. I do, just because. My first C5 (2000 Coupe) was a daily driver and it handled just fine in the winter.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:23 PM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,684 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Its not so much the snow, its the salt and at times very cold temps that can effect tire performance.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:30 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

Gotcha. So how about snow tires for the daily drivers? I have a 2004 focus. Just want to be prepared ahead of times.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:31 PM
LemansBlueStingray
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jcbarr25
Gotcha. So how about snow tires for the daily drivers? I have a 2004 focus. Just want to be prepared ahead of times.
As long as it has decent tread you won't need to worry about anything crazy like that. FWD cars will generally be OK around here. My daily's have been two door Civics and as long as the tires have good tread I have never had a problem.

Get notified of new replies

To Moving to OH

Old 05-26-2017, 11:34 PM
Jcbarr25
Burning Brakes

As long as it has decent tread you won't need to worry about anything crazy like that. FWD cars will generally be OK around here. My daily's have been two door Civics and as long as the tires have good tread I have never had a problem.
awesome. Yep. Both daily drivers will have brand new all season tires by winter time.

​​​​​Thanks
Old 05-27-2017, 08:50 AM
kvozel
Safety Car

CI 3-4-5-6-7 & 9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08

Ditto.

I have a 2008 Focus. No problemo.
Old 05-29-2017, 09:42 PM
BlownZ51
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the area! I'm about 5 minutes from WPAFB. Cut the curb and re pour the apron of driveway. I had a lowered C6 and it would drag. I had to get real creative entering or exiting the driveway. My C3 is close to dragging the headers. I'm running hooker super comps. The other option to address the curb issue is to pour a small filler on the curb itself to level it out. Everyone in my neighborhood has one. Including me. I will eventually replace the curb but I'm waiting until I redo the existing driveway.

Quick Reply: Moving to OH