Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Boys from IL. ???

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Mike Terry
Le Mans Master

Received 270 Likes on 202 Posts

Default Boys from IL. ???

I was born in IL, in Danville but live in IN. now and have for about 45 yrs. That being said I see on here where you guys in IL have has some trouble with the Hand Gun Carry Law? Didn't they pass it a year or 2 ago where you can carry in IL. now?? Just wondered. I carry in IL every time I go there anyway. Better to have it and not need it the to need it and not have it. Oh I do have a carry permit for In. that is good in many other states, is it good in IL. not that I care because I will carry it there anyway.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:19 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mike Terry
I was born in IL, in Danville but live in IN. now and have for about 45 yrs. That being said I see on here where you guys in IL have has some trouble with the Hand Gun Carry Law? Didn't they pass it a year or 2 ago where you can carry in IL. now?? Just wondered. I carry in IL every time I go there anyway. Better to have it and not need it the to need it and not have it. Oh I do have a carry permit for In. that is good in many other states, is it good in IL. not that I care because I will carry it there anyway.
You need a nonresident permit here to carry. You do not if you are simply transporting through the state.

Last edited by Quick Silver Z; 08-10-2017 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:09 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Illinois law is unique in that it does not allow individuals from other states to carry firearms here even if they have a permit from their home state. Instead, non-residents who wish to carry concealed firearms in Illinois must get an Illinois permit.

But that’s not all. According to the Illinois State Police website, “only residents of states that have laws related to firearm ownership, possession and carrying that are substantially similar to the requirements to obtain a license (in Illinois) under the Firearm Concealed Carry Act are eligible.”

The site states that “substantially similar” means:
* The comparable state regulates who can carry firearms;
* Prohibits people who have involuntarily been placed in a mental health facility from carrying, or who have voluntarily placed themselves in such a facility within the last five years; and
* Reports both approved and denied applicants to nationwide databases.

ISP distributed a survey, most recently updated in May, to states to determine whether their laws meet that criteria and found that only four -- Hawaii, New Mexico, South Carolina and Virginia -- have similar enough rules to allow their citizens to apply for Illinois permits.

Additionally, non-residents applying for an Illinois permit, which is good for five years, must pay a $300 fee compared to the in-state applicant fee of $150.

I believe this is current...
https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/hunting...armlegally.pdf
The following users liked this post:
vettesmith02 (08-11-2017)

Get notified of new replies

To Boys from IL. ???

Quick Reply: Boys from IL. ???