Closing old threads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 12:23 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15
Default Closing old threads?

Just a general question here as I have no idea how forum moderation works.

Often we get members on the forum that somehow or another latch onto a thread that has been inactive for years. Guessing likely through the search function as I've almost fallen victim to it myself.

Seems they only get closed down when someone posts to them and drag em up from the dead. Then a moderator responds and closes it down.

Is there no way to close these or archive them in a more efficient manner, like setting a numbers of days inactive or beyond a certain year of last post date? Sure seems like it would make life easier for all. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:43 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

With the thread open, click on the "Report post" icon. It looks like a Caution sign. In the window that opens, describe why it should be closed and then click on the "Report post" button.

That will send a message to the Mods for that section and they will take any necessary action.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:06 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At one time threads were locked and/or discouraged from being replied to if the content was old.

However, that has changed within the past 2 or so years because some old threads contain good information and/or can benefit from being updated.

Originally Posted by imgn tht
Just a general question here as I have no idea how forum moderation works.

Often we get members on the forum that somehow or another latch onto a thread that has been inactive for years. Guessing likely through the search function as I've almost fallen victim to it myself.

Seems they only get closed down when someone posts to them and drag em up from the dead. Then a moderator responds and closes it down.

Is there no way to close these or archive them in a more efficient manner, like setting a numbers of days inactive or beyond a certain year of last post date? Sure seems like it would make life easier for all. Thanks for listening.

Get notified of new replies

To Closing old threads?

Quick Reply: Closing old threads?