Pic Uploader Blows Me Off-Line

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:08 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Default Pic Uploader Blows Me Off-Line

Hi, JT - appreciate what you guys do in the background to keep this thing working.

I've uploaded thousands of photos over the last 15+ years using the "Manage Attachments" button, with no problems at all. However, since the advent of the new format and pic posting system, I'm having a problem.

Once I go through the "manage attachments" button and get to the screen where you click on your "device", then select your photo, watch it upload into the box on the left with "100%", everything is OK. However, as soon as I click on the "UPLOAD" button at the upper right of that screen, CF shuts down, AOL shuts down, and dumps me back on my main Windows screen.

If I then re-launch AOL and go in the browser window and click on the top item in the window (which is the post I was composing when I got kicked off), I get the window with the post I was replying to and a green message box in the lower left corner of the posting window which has saved the text of my reply. When I click on that box, my text shows up below the text of the post I was replying to, but the photo I posted is nowhere to be seen. If I do the "Manage Attachments" thing again and go through the uploader routine all over again, the same thing happens (I get blown off) and I just have to get back to the window again and post the text without any photos. Maybe 10% of the time I can successfully post a photo - the other 90% of the time I get blown off.

Photos are kinda my stock and trade in helping folks out on the C1/C2 Forum (I have about 26,000 of them), and suddenly I can't post them. Any suggestions? Should I be using the "Image" or "Paperclip" icons instead of "Manage Attachments".

This happens with all three of my HP notebooks, and with my wife's HP desktop - all are running Windows 10 with AOL (which is IE11) and Chrome.

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2018, 02:45 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you tried doing it outside of AOL's program? Even if you're still using AOL to connect to the Internet, you can still open a normal browser window after you've used AOL to make the connection. I would suggest trying to do it outside of AOL's system.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:34 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J T
Have you tried doing it outside of AOL's program? Even if you're still using AOL to connect to the Internet, you can still open a normal browser window after you've used AOL to make the connection. I would suggest trying to do it outside of AOL's system.
OK, I'll give that a try and get back to you. New weird behavior tonight - when trying to upload a photo, it blew me off when I clicked on "Manage Attachments" - never had that one before.
Old 09-03-2018, 10:53 AM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J T
Have you tried doing it outside of AOL's program? I would suggest trying to do it outside of AOL's system.
Hi, JT - Did that this morning - came direct with IE11 (No AOL) and posted a single photo, then multiple photos, then came direct with Edge (no AOL) and did the same thing again (single and multiple photos); everything worked perfectly, with no hangups or problems - results are in the "Testing" Forum, titled "TestZ" and "Test2Z". Apparently something in the new uploader is triggering AOL to shut down when I use AOL and click on "Upload" or "Manage Attachments".
Old 09-07-2018, 07:49 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Hi, JT -

Tried it again, with AOL active and came in through Edge with AOL running to post a photo - worked fine. So browsers (IE11, Edge) post photos fine in CF with or without AOL in the background, but with just using the AOL browser (as I have for the last 20 years), I get blown off when I try to post a photo.
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 PM
J T
IB Staff

Since the issue is isolated to the AOL program itself, and the usage of AOL's program is low, I'm not sure if the team will be able to resolve such an issue. I'm not sure what benefits there are to using AOL's program, considering it can create issues like this as well as overhead and compatibility concerns.
Old 09-10-2018, 03:31 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

I'm not using AOL and I can't upload a picture either. I see the picture displayed in the "Uploader" I click on "UPLOAD" and nothing happens.

I also have done this a few million times and it currently hates me.

Using Chrome (latest version, I checked) and ATT.net

I just tried in firefox and it uploaded the picture.

Got it, some new thing about a "Sync Error" whatever the hell that was. All set, chrome works now.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-10-2018 at 04:36 AM.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:58 AM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by eboggs_jkvl
I'm not using AOL and I can't upload a picture either. I see the picture displayed in the "Uploader" I click on "UPLOAD" and nothing happens.

I also have done this a few million times and it currently hates me.

Using Chrome (latest version, I checked) and ATT.net

I just tried in firefox and it uploaded the picture.

Got it, some new thing about a "Sync Error" whatever the hell that was. All set, chrome works now.

Elmer
I would prefer to keep this on topic. This topic is specific to the AOL program. Since you're not using AOL, as you stated, your concern is different and you've noted it in the following thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-problem.html
Old 09-10-2018, 02:07 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,822 Likes on 2,066 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by J T
I would prefer to keep this on topic. This topic is specific to the AOL program. Since you're not using AOL, as you stated, your concern is different and you've noted it in the following thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-problem.html

I'll be quiet now.

Elmer

Last edited by eboggs_jkvl; 09-10-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:14 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by J T
Since the issue is isolated to the AOL program itself, and the usage of AOL's program is low, I'm not sure if the team will be able to resolve such an issue. I'm not sure what benefits there are to using AOL's program, considering it can create issues like this as well as overhead and compatibility concerns.
Hi, JT -

I understand - will use other browsers for CF from now on, but let me know if your team finds the "trigger".

Thanks

Old 09-14-2018, 06:50 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

I am also having the same problem using AOL. It worked fine for years and now it does not.i want to use my aol browser so I won’t be posting pics until one day this is resolved.

Last edited by enventr; 09-14-2018 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-14-2018, 02:17 PM
J T
IB Staff

I was given the suggestion that it is possible there is an extension on AOL's browser that may have the conflict. You might try disabling the browser's extensions.

Since the browser's documentation/support and usage is relatively low, our options on supporting it ourselves is also difficult.

Get notified of new replies

To Pic Uploader Blows Me Off-Line

Quick Reply: Pic Uploader Blows Me Off-Line