Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 01:02 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Default Corvette Forum giving i.e. browser fits

For the last week or so Corvette Forum has been causing i.e. browser to run very slow, reload web pages or stall and require closing i.e. and restarting. It does it on both my windows 7 and windows 10 machines. Sometimes I get a message about a long running script. I don’t have any issues with any other web pages, I tried clearing cache and cookies but it didn’t make any difference. On the same machines corvette forum works fine with the chrome browser.
Any ideas as to what is going on, it worked fine on both machines a few weeks ago and I haven’t changed anything on my end?

Last edited by RAMMAN; 10-30-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 01:31 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In order to assist we'll need more information. Do you notice any specific banner ad that might always be present at the time of the performance concerns? Perhaps a Walmart ad? What is the script error message you're browser is showing?
Old 10-30-2018, 01:33 PM
Pb82 Ronin
Le Mans Master

Received 942 Likes on 686 Posts

Mine too...windows 10. Crashes usually once or twice a day now. I haven't paid close enough attention to notice what ads are being displayed since I leave the site open for long periods of time.
Old 10-30-2018, 02:01 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

The big blue Walmart ad banner is at the top of the page every time when the problem occurs. The screen freezes and I can’t scroll, sometimes hitting the refresh helps for a few minutes. The three browser messages I see often are “only secure content is displayed”, "a problem with this web page caused internet explorer to close and reopen the tab" and "corvetteforum.com is not responding due to a long-running script".

As I said I haven't seen any of these issues on any other web pages.

This is the url from the walmart ad in i.e.
https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/sa...container.html

In chrome I see the same ad but it doesn't cause me any problems, this is the url.
https://cdn1-10935748.algovid.tv/5b7...er_940x400.jpg

Last edited by RAMMAN; 10-31-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:50 PM
jfr's 63swc
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

I am having the same problem. The banner I see at the top is Expedia - if that helps!
Old 11-01-2018, 04:10 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,621 Likes on 1,740 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Windows 10, Firefox. Been locking up all day. Can access on Iphone. And Win 10/Chrome.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:23 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by DebRedZR1
Windows 10, Firefox. Been locking up all day. Can access on Iphone. And Win 10/Chrome.
If you can spot a common ad banner that may be related, that would help.

I personally use nearly nothing but Firefox on Windows 10 and 8 and have not had the issue. Surprising that Firefox would. Unless you're running some extensions that may be causing resource issues within Firefox.

Easy try would be Safe Mode in Firefox. In fact, that's usually the first step per Firefox's support. Try in Safe Mode and see if issue continues or not.
Old 11-01-2018, 04:44 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

I'm still seeing the same issues today but the ad displayed is from Hampibag I've never even heard of them before.

The url is.
https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/sa...container.html
Old 11-09-2018, 12:27 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by jfr's 63swc
I am having the same problem. The banner I see at the top is Expedia - if that helps!
Along with the WalMart banner, I, too, was getting the Expedia banner, although it didn't give me as much a problem as the WalMart one was. I re-installed AdBlocker, and so far, my laptop has been running better. I initially removed the AdBlocker because it appeared that it was in conflict with something else that I had "inherited", during a Win10 update.

What bothers me, however, is the "explanations" about CF performance issues being tied to "updates" that are being made in order to work better with more/newer devices. What about those of us who have been active participants on this Forum for YEARS, and since we don't have any need for the "newfangled devices", we're left dealing with the limitations being placed on the basic laptops that we've been using for years.....
Old 11-10-2018, 04:33 AM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Along with the WalMart banner, I, too, was getting the Expedia banner, although it didn't give me as much a problem as the WalMart one was. I re-installed AdBlocker, and so far, my laptop has been running better. I initially removed the AdBlocker because it appeared that it was in conflict with something else that I had "inherited", during a Win10 update.

What bothers me, however, is the "explanations" about CF performance issues being tied to "updates" that are being made in order to work better with more/newer devices. What about those of us who have been active participants on this Forum for YEARS, and since we don't have any need for the "newfangled devices", we're left dealing with the limitations being placed on the basic laptops that we've been using for years.....
"Explanations" about CorvetteForum performance being tied to "updates"? Where? This thread was about performance issues to which I requested some basic information. We suspected it might be an ad, which I noted in post number 2, so we took some steps to help eliminate a possible offender.

Regarding updates. Technology. The way people accessed CorvetteForum, or even the Internet in general, is different today than it was 20 years ago. This software was developed 20 years ago. One hand of the crowd hates any changes or updates while another hand of the crowd wants this and that. It's unreasonable to expect any website to support hardware and software that may have been discontinued and no longer supported by the manufacturer.

The fact you're using Windows 10 means you better get used to updates given Microsoft will push updates to your Windows 10 OS on your computer. With the possibility of it breaking your device or creating new issues. Guess it's not just CorvetteForum that does updates.

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette Forum giving i.e. browser fits

Quick Reply: Corvette Forum giving i.e. browser fits