Continuous data flow

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 11:13 AM
cbernhardt
Safety Car

Received 833 Likes on 454 Posts
C1 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Default Continuous data flow

I have a small program (Bitmeter) on my computer that keeps track of internet usage. When I go into the Corvette Forum C1-C2 page, the Bitmeter usually shows about 2-3 MEG of data being uploaded and downloaded. Then, even if I do not load any particular thread to read, the forum software will continue to upload/download data from sites like “vidstattaboda”, “edn-ssl.vidible.trv”, “google”, “px.moatads.com”, etc, etc, and numerous other sites. I am not sure of the spelling on these sites because they flash up too quickly to read completely. Sometimes this continuous updating continues for as long as the forum page is active and I have had it use over 20 MEG of data flow if I let it continue. None of the other forums that I frequent exhibit this behavior.

I am using Firefox and one of it’s features is a “Stop Loading this Page” button, but even that does not normally stop the continuous data flow. With my ISP I am on a limited amount of data flow so my question is – is there any way to stop this excessive data usage?

Thanks,
Charles
Old 12-04-2018, 11:56 AM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cbernhardt
I have a small program (Bitmeter) on my computer that keeps track of internet usage. When I go into the Corvette Forum C1-C2 page, the Bitmeter usually shows about 2-3 MEG of data being uploaded and downloaded. Then, even if I do not load any particular thread to read, the forum software will continue to upload/download data from sites like “vidstattaboda”, “edn-ssl.vidible.trv”, “google”, “px.moatads.com”, etc, etc, and numerous other sites. I am not sure of the spelling on these sites because they flash up too quickly to read completely. Sometimes this continuous updating continues for as long as the forum page is active and I have had it use over 20 MEG of data flow if I let it continue. None of the other forums that I frequent exhibit this behavior.

I am using Firefox and one of it’s features is a “Stop Loading this Page” button, but even that does not normally stop the continuous data flow. With my ISP I am on a limited amount of data flow so my question is – is there any way to stop this excessive data usage?

Thanks,
Charles
20 MB of data is very small in today's online world. Just one raw picture can be over 20 MB. Although CorvetteForum is free to access and use by members, it is not free to operate. So ads and other data help pay to operate the website so that it can be freely accessed.

My first thought would be to try using browser cache so data isn't re-loaded. I'd also try turning off Infinite Scroll in the UserCP as perhaps that is adding to data usage.

Quick Reply: Continuous data flow