Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Scammer: User name Ombks

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 08:32 PM
Felon
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scammer: User name Ombks

MODS: Please be aware there is a scammer active on the board. He just tried to take me for $50. See his message below. Please ban him.

Note: this is NOT the OP.

scammer user name: Ombks

‘Free car cover C5 - Boynton beach Florida

3034910550 text me please’

Old 04-02-2024, 08:39 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Felon
MODS: Please be aware there is a scammer active on the board. He just tried to take me for $50. See his message below. Please ban him.

Note: this is NOT the OP.

scammer user name: Ombks

‘Free car cover C5 - Boynton beach Florida

3034910550 text me please’

Noted.

In the future, please use the Report feature within PM by clicking on the icon in the upper-right screen of the PM, screen capture shown, so that the team can review and respond accordingly.

Old 04-06-2024, 01:41 PM
Qblue92
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

He tried to get me. I was interested in some wheels and this guy texted me. I don't know how he got my #. The scammer isn't the guy who posted the wheels.
Old 04-06-2024, 05:37 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by Qblue92
He tried to get me. I was interested in some wheels and this guy texted me. I don't know how he got my #. The scammer isn't the guy who posted the wheels.
You posted your text number in atleast one post.
Old 04-17-2024, 06:14 PM
burtonbl103
Team Owner

Received 597 Likes on 177 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12-'13

this guy just got another guy here for $100
Old 05-05-2024, 04:27 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

glad i did a quick search he just sent me a private pm
Old 05-05-2024, 04:29 PM
chagger32
Intermediate

same number but he has a name of Oleist now
Old 05-12-2024, 12:27 PM
westsdad
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by C6z_Lr7
Yes still available,3034910550 text me please
They just tried again in the C8 For Sale forum using forum name C6z_Lr7 with the same 3034910550 number. This is becoming rampant on this forum and admin needs to put limitations on any new members to weed out these f'ing scammers and to protect the actual forum members. Banning them after their attempts at fraud does not protect any members that fall for their initial attempts.
Old 05-12-2024, 06:41 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by westsdad
They just tried again in the C8 For Sale forum using forum name C6z_Lr7 with the same 3034910550 number. This is becoming rampant on this forum and admin needs to put limitations on any new members to weed out these f'ing scammers and to protect the actual forum members. Banning them after their attempts at fraud does not protect any members that fall for their initial attempts.
It's not that simple. Do you know one strong reason why this is an issue? Because they have been successful (or have gotten engagement) despite all the warnings that are provided on the forum. We have some restrictions and tools in place, however, it cannot replace using safe and good judgment.
Old 05-12-2024, 09:03 PM
westsdad
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
It's not that simple. Do you know one strong reason why this is an issue? Because they have been successful (or have gotten engagement) despite all the warnings that are provided on the forum. We have some restrictions and tools in place, however, it cannot replace using safe and good judgment.
The post from 4/17/24 in this thread is an example of someone getting taken.

It's been very evident in the WTB ads where this has been happening a lot, and now they are posting responses in the FS forums from the scammers on old posts when members ask if the item is still available. The scammer's methods evolve with time and the limited info / fields available in the mobile display are to the scammers advantage.

There were a lot of new members being banned for being scammers, but that was leaving evidence of the issue at hand by the number of new members being banned. Now those new members have been removed which also removes the banned scamming member (and now new scammers are just removed) and the bread crumbs that lead to the issue at hand. In the past, it would be easy to do a search of the number of banned members.

So, there are several strong reasons why this is an issue. Spending a lot of time in the FS and WTB forums, and being extremely observant and detailed oriented leads to seeing the pattern.

I'm not worried about myself but do worry about the less internet savvy members and those members that are not aware of the scammer issues. More of a forum community concern and not the defensive approach that you have taken.

Get notified of new replies

To Scammer: User name Ombks