In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

Very close to my time. want to thank you all!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:22 PM
Grumpy 427
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

Ryan. After reading this thread it would appear that you have made an impact on everyone you have come into contact with. You have a very special character to be able to do that. Hell i know people like that here. I lost an Uncle last spring to this terrible disease, and my Aunt followed soon after.

Congrats on making it to the Big Show,(NHL). Not many are blessed with the gift to get there either. I was in Columbus For work in Nov 2008 and got to see the Blue Jackets Play Edmonton Oilers. That was my first and only NHL game. The energy was intense, and the Columbus Folks really support the team.

I don't know how you feel, or what to say to you that will bring you any comfort or peace? This world will be a lonlier place without you. So i will leave you with this poem i have come to love.

God Bless.

Sheldon.

Footprints in the sand.

One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”
Old 04-28-2009, 12:20 AM
0EG@EnglandGreen
Supporting Tuner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: ================== Houston, Texas www.englandgreen.com ================== Necessary Evil™ __________
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Ryan, I have never met you but you are an inspiration for the person all of us should strive to be, but are not.

As I read your post, these Robert Browning words echoed in my mind... "What I aspired to be, and was not, comforts me: a brute I might have been, but would not sink i' the scale."

You are the epitome of Grace.

Stephen
Old 04-28-2009, 07:39 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,623 Likes on 1,742 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Default Update On Ryan

Posted below is from WWW.teamsalmons.com ---
We were lucky enough to meet Ryan on a trip down the Columbus on the 17th. It was a honor to meet him and his Family and all the Columbus people helping him out with all of his adventures. He was very tired but he made it a point to spend his precious time with us. God Bless you Ryan. I cant say enough of what an impact you have made on people.

Posted: 27 Apr 2009 06:15 PM PDT
First, I want to apologize for taking so long between posts. But to say that the last several days have been a whirlwind is an understatement. It is no excuse, but Ryan's care has become a little more intense lately. I started to write an update Sunday and lost the post. I have not been able to post since then.

Ryan did attend the Blue Jackets last playoff game on Thursday. The CBJ honored him with an awesome gift. They asked that he or someone in our family "Carry the Flag" before the game. Needless to say, Ryan is the only gifted athlete in our family that could skate around the rink in front of 20,000 people carrying a 20 pound flag without falling. So Ryan asked Tony Elliott to "Carry the Flag" for him, wearing the famous # 3 jersey of course..... Though the Jackets lost the game, you could tell the heart of the team was battling for Ryan with each comeback they made.

Friday, against dad's better judgement, we made a day trip to Bowling Green, Kentucky. It was off to tour the Corvette Factory. Ryan got a private tour, and a ride in a newly built ZR1! As a dad I am glad that he did because afterwards he decided that he didn't want one. In his words, "it was wicked fast, but too much of a luxury car." He would rather have the Z06. Saves me about 25 to 30 grand. (Like I can afford either one, HA HA!) After a couple hours, Ryan was exhausted and was ready to make the return trip home. Though it was a long day and rough on us, I am glad that we made the trip. Thanks to Mark and Mike for setting up all the details for us. Ryan really was happy that he got to make the trip. Matt, thank you for providing the luxury transportation, without your help this would not have been possible.

Sunday Ryan had another Corvette group from Springfield, Ohio visit us. A line of 13 vettes came by our house and spend time with Ryan. He was glad to meet the group and step outside to see the cars.

While he could, Ryan made the most of living life. He packed more into our "bonus" month that most people do in a summer. While many times I wanted him to rest, relax and stay home, I am now glad that we did as much as possible with him. Over the weekend, Ryan has slowly deteriorated. He most likely is now confined to our home. He is starting to feel pains in areas that he has not experienced pain before. He is also on oxygen to help him breath, and spends a lot of the day sleeping.

I will try to update daily, but it will depend on the help I have with Ryan. When we started out, Barry and Amy updated for me, and they may have to do this again. Continue to pray for a miracle for Ryan. If anyone deserves one it is him. If it is not to be, please pray that Ryan will be peaceful and pain free.
-Brad
You are subscribed to email updates from Ryan's Fight - Refuse to Lose!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:13 PM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

More prayers for Ryan. For a Miracle he can overcome his disease. Mostly I pray that he does not suffer. It is so uplifting to hear of him enjoying things he loves to do.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:07 PM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

Thank you for the wonderful update. It's been a very busy month for him and family. I have followed the day to day updates on the website posted. I highly recommend the family to consider Hospice when the time is right. Their assistance as a team around the clock is invaluable.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Z06David
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prayers sent
Old 04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
NytmereZ
Le Mans Master

Received 295 Likes on 161 Posts

Ryan my prayers are with you, be strong and never give up, its not over yet, fight it, dont give up ever.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:59 PM
LemansBlueStingray
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Ryan I am overwhelmed with your courage, maturity, and attitude. Keep living your life to the fullest as long as you can! My prayers are sent for you.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
GottahavaVette
Safety Car

Cruise-In IX Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Thank you for the update. I am not a big hockey fan, but I was rooting for the Blue Jackets to pull off an upset. It's too bad they had to go up against Detroit - the Wings are just too good. Kudos once again to the team for the special honor they bestowed on Ryan. I think it's fair to say that Ryan will have a lasting impact on the careers and lives of the members of that team. God bless you, Ryan, and may all your days be good days.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:51 PM
PuddleJumper
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan From what i have read you seem to be one of those people you don't meet to often. it must have take an lot of curage to face up to thins and deal with it an keep fighting on. Keep fighting on and hope for the best man, and spend as much time as you can with your family as you can.
you and your family are in my prayers.

good update DebRedC504

Ryan M.

Last edited by PuddleJumper; 04-29-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-30-2009, 03:58 AM
Stavesacre21
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 107 Posts

Ryan,

I've never met you, but I am a fellow buckeye. I admire your courage and spirit, and have to say that i've yet to see someone quite as strong as you. Whatever the outcome, i'll be praying for you. May God hold you and keep you in his loving hands.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:46 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

The guys in the Great Lakes Region section are posting updates in this thread below for all of you asking about Ryan's status.
Please continue to pray for Ryan and his Family and Friends.
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/grea...e-on-ryan.html
Old 04-30-2009, 01:11 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ryan,

I am almost at a lost for words. I never had the chance to meet you but after reading more about you, you are indeed a very special person. I have to think that there is a plan for you. I'm glad that you got to fulfill the small dream that is Corvette ownership and more importantly got to meet some great people on here to keep you in good spirits through the tough times.

My best friend since I was 5 years old (and fellow car enthusiast) just lost his mother a week ago from cancer and I have been having a tough time myself and have been doing my best to keep him in good spirits.

I'll pray for a miracle for you and I wish you great peace. If there is anything here we can do for you I'm sure I can speak for most here by saying just ask.

Peace be with you,

Charlie
Old 04-30-2009, 11:27 PM
OregonC6
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kdhand
Dear Ryan and Salmons Family & his Friends:

I cried today - not something that happens to me often. I cried because Ryan's story reminded me as it should remind everyone, that precious few of us really appreciate what we have. More importantly it reminded me that every second of life is precious and that I/we need to exercise care, concern, compassion for those around us, and that every opportunity for interaction with others should be carried out in a positive manner, no matter what.

Ryan's story imparts many lessons of courage that we all can learn from. I personally will strive to do better in all areas, especially when presented with challenges that in the overall picture, most often are really minor challenges.

Thank you for sharing and know that you are having a positive impact and will continue to have an impact on others after you leave us behind. How many of us can truly point to what we have done in our lives and know that we have truly made a difference beyond those we can directly see, touch or feel? You have, and for that may God bless you and all those that love and care for you...

With DEEPEST respect and appreciation for the example you have set...

Kevin Hand
With appreciation for what is written above may I please say "ditto" because what you said is so darn perfect.
Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 AM
EBZ0602
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'10

Don't know what to write, but Ryan you are an awesome young man!!
and you have touched so many!
Old 05-01-2009, 01:09 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Ryan and his Red Vette are flying to heaven. May he break all posteds to get there!
Godspeed and much love Ry. Im am truly blessed to have known you. Your ending words will be with me forever

From Mike/Vette N IT, post #80 in the Great Lakes Region-Thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/grea...on-ryan-4.html

QUOTE:
They asked Ryan if he was cognizant enough to understand what it means if he goes to sleep. He said, "my name is Ryan Salmons and I will sign on the dotted line if need be." They asked if he knew where he was going and he said, "I'm going to heaven, I'm driving my Corvette and parking it right at the front gate."
Old 05-01-2009, 03:56 PM
Vette N It
Instructor

My friend Ryan Salmons passed away 15 minutes ago. I only met Ryan for the first time in person on April 4, 2009. He fought a hell of a fight. He was mature beyond his years, he was fun, he was honest, he was loyal. I love that kid and will miss him terribly.

Ryan Salmons CBJ #3 July 7, 1989 - May 1, 2009
19 years old RIP.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Very close to my time. want to thank you all!

Old 05-01-2009, 04:03 PM
khblair
Race Director

Cruise-In 9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Old 05-01-2009, 04:16 PM
blazer427X3
Pro

Rest In Peace Ryan. My sympathy and best wishes to the Salmons family.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:23 PM
fasthwks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 45 Posts

My prayers to the family, he is at peace now

Quick Reply: Very close to my time. want to thank you all!