In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:08 AM
AVENGER
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast

I would like to share this information with my fellow Corvette Brothers & Sisters that I received via our Club Network E-mail. I didn't know Steve Hurst personally, however I wish his family my heartfelt sorrow for their lost

Please keep Steve and his family in your prayers!
E-mail Received - with timeline:
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 9:24 AM
Subject: Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast

Team NCM (Staff and Board).....Steve and Jan Hurst were on their way to the NCM this morning about 7:30 am as participants in the Delivery Reunion. After entering I-65 heading north at Exit 22, they were in the right lane with a tractor trailer in the middle lane. About MM 24 they were easing past the tractor trailer and still in the right lane which they had been since they got on I-65. The truck decided to move to the right lane. The truck clipped the left front of the Corvette and the Corvette started spinning around and I think flipped and then hit guardrails. The car was just demolished. Gary and Torie Cockriel were on their way to the NCM and was about the 3rd car to arrive. Gary stayed with them until the ambulance left with them.

Steve was airlifted to Nashville – Vanderbilt Hospital. Jan was taken the Medical Center in Bowling Green. Jan has a very bruised right shoulder and it is in a sling; a good knot on her forehead and in general just banged up all over.

I picked Jan Hurst up at the Medical Center about 11:30 am (treated and released). We had a prescription filled for her and then went to where their car was. I got all of their personal things from the Corvette, cleaned glass off as best I could, washed some blood stains off of their suitcases and transferred them to the back of the HHR.

We then drove to Vanderbilt Hospital. Jan was taken to a private family consultation room. A few minutes later she asked the nurse to come get me as she wanted me to be with her when the doctor came in. We already knew that Steve was in critical condition as Gary Cockriel has shared the horrible cut on his scalp and how it “laid back”. However, Steve was worse than either of us were prepared for.

In my layman’s language this is the best I know how to describe what I heard the doctor saying. His neck about the C-4 area was broken but not severed. He will likely be paralyzed from the neck down. He will be on a ventilator for many months and maybe the reminder of his life. The head/scalp injury is a serious injury but very treatable and they will do that at the appropriate time.

There was other discussion with the doctor/nurse concerning several a few other issues and then Jan was asked if she wanted to go she him...which she did.

The hospital was putting a “halo” on him to stabilize him so he could be taken for an MRI. Jan came back into the private room a few minutes later. Their two daughters, Teri who lived next door to them in Tyler, Texas and Michelle who is a doctor in Syracuse, NY, were both on the way driving to Nashville. Jan called them both and gave them an update.

I got them a room at a nearby hotel.

Probably about 4:30 pm Steve was leaving for the MRI which they said would be about 2 hours to do and get the results back, Jan and I left to go to the hotel. We got all of the luggage to their room. I asked Jan about going out to eat or me bringing her back something. She was tired and wanted to try and rest. I told her that I was going to eat and then come back to the lobby of the hotel and stay until Michelle got there (which we estimated to be around 7 pm).

After Michelle arrived, Jan had cleaned up and changed clothes. They were going to eat as neither had eaten since breakfast. They were then going back to the hospital and wait for Teri, who was about 100 miles out. The next visitation was scheduled for 8:30 pm. We parted company and I told them we would be checking on them and to please let us know if there was anything we could do.

Jan and Steve are quite active in their church in Tyler, TX. It was so apparent to me that she had a great personal relationship with our Lord and had already been seeking His strength and support that she knew only He could provide. A prayer chain was already in place in Tyler, TX and others would be started soon. She of course is not sure what the future holds, but she knows who holds the future and she desires His will be done. To be with someone that had this type faith and trust in our Lord was just really something to witness.

Jan and Steve have been married 44 years.

Harlan and Dave....... Jan Hurst commented to me that she feels being in the Corvette was what saved both of them. I am not sure if any of the Plant Engineers would want to see the car, but if so, please let me know and we will accommodate that.

November 2009, they took delivery of their new 2010 Coupe (had also taken delivery of a 2003). She commented to me that she did not know if Steve will make it or not, but if he did not that he was doing what he enjoyed doing the most.....Corvetting! Their 2003 had over 90,000 miles and their 2010 already had over 10,000 miles.

She received several calls while I was with her and made several other calls while we were together. I could sense that people were asking is there anything we can do............her answer was always the same......just pray. So in addition to keeping you up to date from what is going on, I was to also ask you.......just pray!

At this point should anyone ask you how is Steve doing, I suggest you say he is still critical. Much more will be known over the next couple of days, from the MRI and also surgery they doing Sunday to place a rod down his back. The best educated guess by the doctor this afternoon may be different later on......In the meantime.....just pray!
Wendell
www.CorvetteMuseum.org
www.MotorsportsPark.org

latest info is his spinal cord was severed.......at this time only machines are keeping him alive. The family will be consulting with Hospice today.

Sent: Monday, August 16, 2010 9:03 PM

Steve passed away this afternoon. Please continue to remember his wife Jan, daughters Terri and Michelle and other members of the Steve Hurst family in your prayers.

Wendell
www.CorvetteMuseum.org
www.MotorsportsPark.org
Old 08-17-2010, 11:23 AM
AVENGER
Pro

To the Family!
"God saw Steve getting tired and a cure was not to be. So He put His arms around him and whispered “come to me.” With tearful eyes we watched you, and saw you pass away. Although we loved you dearly, we could not make you stay. A golden heart stopped beating, hard working hands at rest. God broke our hearts to prove to us, He only takes the best. You will be missed" ..........................
Old 08-18-2010, 02:07 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Rest in Peace Steve. Prayers for Jan and her daughters
Old 08-19-2010, 08:46 PM
curvesman
Safety Car

Received 126 Likes on 88 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified 2020

May he rest in piece
Old 08-20-2010, 06:30 PM
65convt
Melting Slicks

Brings tears to my eyes.
RIP Steve. Prayers to his Family and Friends.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Scratch
Team Owner

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'09

R.I.P. Steve
Old 08-21-2010, 04:10 AM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

RIP Steve, and my sincere condolences to his wife and family, this is truly a sad story, my heart goes out to the family.
Old 08-21-2010, 09:17 AM
EBZ0602
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'10

Old 08-22-2010, 04:05 PM
American Made
Double Naught Spy School
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-23-'24

Tragic. Deepest sympathy for all involved and the family.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:32 PM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

RIP Steve
Old 08-22-2010, 11:26 PM
Milton Fox
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Mrs Fox and I send here sympathies.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:13 AM
Dieseldaveswife
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Prayers for the family..may Steve RIP in the loving arms of the Father.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:30 PM
DM VETT
Pro

May God be with them at this time.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:55 AM
Ratbagsmg
Instructor

Amen and Rest in Peace, dear brother. May Our Father watch over his family and friends now and always.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:50 AM
6spdg37s
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

r.i.p so sad my thoughts and prayers go out to their family
Old 11-03-2010, 02:04 PM
TerryT
Racer

I am truely sorry to hear of your loss. May he rest in peace and your family remain strong throughout.
This story brings back fresh memories of when I was 19. I was sleeping in the rear bedroom of my parents home. It was around 10 am, and my father was on the front porch roof, painting the 2nd floor gutters.I awoken with the sound of a ladder scraping the insulbrick of the house, and crahing to the ground. I jumped out of bed listening for my dad either to cuss (which he did well.lol), or the sound of the ladder being moved around.
I heard nothing. I yelled out the window for my dad, he didnt reply and I knew something terrilble happened. I ran down stairs yelling for my mom to go check on him as I phoned 911. She came back in saying he had fallen from the roof.He said to her he slid down the roof, and was going head first, and tried to turn to land on his shoulder on the ground below. He then tried to get up and felt sensations move out of his body. He couldnt move at all.
Later that day we found out even though he had his mind left, his spinal cord ,also was severed. We were devastated. My father was a workaholic, and now couldnt move a finger. He had told my mother that if there was no hope , he wanted to die. A month later ,with no improvement at all, his body started failing. The one morning after my mother returned home from a visit with him, the hospital called and said to get back there immediately. Upon her return, they informed her and my sisters who were there with her, that he had passed away. In the end after all of this, I was, I hate to say, glad to see him go as this was his wish. I dont think we ( and he) ,could of managed seeing him live out the rest of his life in that condition. That was 32 years ago, and the sounds are still in my mind.
Sorry to go on about this, but the injury, the hospital talk , and the halo stuff bought back those memories.
Again, sorry for your loss. Terry

Get notified of new replies

To Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast

Quick Reply: Sad news of fellow Corvette enthusiast