In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

Help me with Pancreatic Cancer Awareness -November

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Bailey15
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me with Pancreatic Cancer Awareness -November

edit: THIS WAS THE POST FOR LAST YEAR'S EVENT...I'VE POSTED A NEW THREAD FOR THE 2012 EVENT

2011 EVENT:

I am sure most of you have heard the recent news concerning visionary Steve Jobs and his losing battle with Pancreatic Cancer.

Unfortunately, this is the same disease that took my mother away from us earlier this year, robbing her of decades of memories. Pancreatic Cancer is one of the least understood and least researched forms of cancer. This lack of understanding has made Pancreatic Cancer one of the most fatal forms of cancer. Those diagnosed are typically faced with a low survival rate and a bleak future because of these medical uncertainties.

My mom was the one who encouraged me to get a Corvette and I really miss driving her around in it.

November is Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Month, but there is a Pancreatic Cancer Awareness walk being held in the Houston area the first weekend of December. Along with my sister and brother, we have formed a team in honor of our mother. If you would like to register and walk with our team, we would love to have you with us but I understand most of you here are not from Houston. If you’d rather give a monetary donation, or rather just respond with a ‘good luck’, it will all be sincerely appreciated. I just appreciate the opportunity to get the word out.

Together we can help researchers learn more about this disease, increase awareness, and hopefully help future families from having to deal with this HORRIBLE form of cancer. Anyone who has had a loved one go through this knows exactly what I mean.

Details can be found in the following link.

http://www.kintera.org/faf/search/se...875511&cj=YSee

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you for your time and understanding.

Last edited by Bailey15; 09-08-2012 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:48 PM
34RedRage
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is a very nasty cancer, 4 years ago last month my 75 year old uncle found out he had this cancer, 4 weeks later he was dead. completely healthy and strong. i hope some day science will have an understanding of this cancer.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:52 PM
Bailey15
Advanced

One more week left if you'd like to help.
Old 11-29-2011, 04:32 AM
If you can
Advanced

Location: The one I'm in at the time. High country Colorado,Maui.

My brother in-law has this awful cancer. I'm at a loss, in that I do not know how to handle this situation. The guy is in his mid 40's, and he and his wife(my wife's sister) have 2 small boys ages 8 and 12.
I live quite far away, and as much as I'd like to offer help, there's really not much that I can do.
From what I've been told, the guy is going fast. He was a big, strong man,(6'2". 200 +) that is now a shell of his former self. All of this change has taken place in less than 2 months. I just can't believe how fast this cancel can take a life.

At his rate of decline, I'd be very surprised if he is still with us at Christmas, and I can't think of a worse time of year to pass when small children are involved. How could anyone ever forget the death of a parent at Christmas time? More so a child.

Not being able to be there for him, and his family is tearing me up.
I really do not know what I should say when talking with him. I mean, what can you say? The guy was given a death sentence, how do you talk around something like that? Hey Bub, how bout those Packers eh? Yeah...I don't think so.

On top of this disaster with the brother in-law, we are about to lose another very old, and close friend to cancer any day now. This gal has been friends with the wife since the second grade, and she is person that introduced me to my wife some 35 years ago. I spoke with her yesterday, and I knew at the time that it was the last time that I'd ever talk to her.
Damn cancer!

Sorry about the rant, I was actually on the site trying to forget about all of this crap when I saw this thread.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:00 AM
Ratbagsmg
Instructor

I am very sorry for the difficult struggle that your loved ones have had to bear and the toll it carries for those who care for them. I hope that it my give you some measure of comfort that one day medical science will conquer this terrible disease. There will be a day when people will speak of cancer like we do of polio and tuberculosis today. There will be cures and survival for almost everyone. This will happen because of the patients, families, doctors, nurses, scientists, and many others who are soldiers in this great war. Everyday we make progress against cancer. We learn better methods of fighting it and we will be beat it because of the sacrifices of those who have gone before. I am sure of it as I am sure the sun will rise tomorrow. Your loved ones may lose their battle, but they will ultimately win the war for all us and many generations yet unborn. God bless you and all the warriors against cancer.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:53 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

A collegue of mine just passed away a few months ago from the same disease.

It really is a silent killer, by the time it is detected it's too late to do anything.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:24 PM
firefighter813x
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.... I had no idea about pancreatic cancer. God bless all of you and I'll say a prayer or two.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:18 PM
Zrxmax
Race Director

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I lost my Mom about a year ago to this illness. She was involved in research study for the Mayo Clinic regarding pancreatic cancer. I am continuing that research by filling out a lenthy questionaire that explores many aspects of that diesease.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:05 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

My sister (only sibling) just passed away a month ago from pancreatic cancer. As everyone has already said, it is a terrible cancer with little or no hope for survival or even any quality of life. Nat was diagnosed last Christmas and was told it was inoperable. She did as so many do and went through chemo which proved to be very unsuccessful. The cancer quickly traveled to her liver.

I was able to fly to South Carolina to visit and help her in April and again in May. I was ready to fly there once again in June, but she went into a coma and passed away at home within 4 days.

Hospice was wonderful to her and her husband. She was very brave and strong, much more so than I or her husband were.

There...I'm crying again. Sorry, all...

Elaine
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 AM
Bailey15
Advanced

I am so sorry about you losses. I was not aware of the devastation of this disease either until I saw it first hand.It does not get the same media exposure as compared to some of the more treatable cancers.

I started a new thread talking about the Purple Stride event in Houston this year. they hold it in multiple cities around the country in an attempt to raise money for research and awareness.

I can give you further information if you'd like but please visit that thread and consider donating so we can together help doctors start to understand this type of cancer.

Get notified of new replies

To Help me with Pancreatic Cancer Awareness -November

Quick Reply: Help me with Pancreatic Cancer Awareness -November