In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

I will miss you Uncle John....

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,054 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Default I will miss you Uncle John....

This morning, Christmas day 2014, at 8AM, my dear uncle passed away after an 18 month battle with cancer which eventually spread to his bones and then recently to his liver. He fought a good battle but suddenly declined quickly and left us. I spoke with him last night at around 6PM and although he was weak and could not reply he understood every word. My aunt and I told him that as soon as he got his strength back and left the hospital, he should get a new C7 to accompany his ‘76 Coupe and ‘02 Z06. He would have gone with a Silver Z51 and was considering getting the A8 instead of the M7. He was a long time CF member but rarely posted.

My Uncle John was like a big brother to me and was one of my best friends, along with my wife and my brother. He was a true car guy and was more passionate about Corvettes than anyone I have ever met and he is responsible for my Corvette addiction. He currently owned a 1976 L82 White Coupe with White leather interior which he enjoyed hot rodding, modifying and drag racing. He bought that car new in November 1975 and has not stopped modding it. He also owns a 2002 Silver Z06 with Mod-Red interior that he purchased in March 2003 that he has also been modding since he got it. The Z is a true beast and the mod list is endless with no expense spared. He was a perfectionist in everything he did with his cars. His first Corvette, and the one that planted the Vette seed in me, was a 1966 Silver Corvette Coupe 327CI 350HP 4speed that he purchased when he returned from Viet Nam. He surprised me and showed up at my house to give me the first ride in it, I was at an impressionable 7 years of age and was hooked hard ever since. He took me out in that Corvette all the time. His next Corvette was a 1972 350 270 4spd Orange Corvette Convertible with White Top and Saddle leather interior. He taught me how to drive a stick with that car when I was only 13 years old. He bought his White L82 1976 Corvette Coupe when I was a Junior in High School and by my freshman year in College I bought my first Corvette, a White 1974 L48 4speed Corvette Coupe, just like his.

He taught me everything that I know about cars and took me to the drag races, starting when I was 4 years old when I would watch him race his 1963 406/405 Ford Galaxie. Any time he worked on his cars he would include me so that I would learn. And he was always there for me when I would modify or repair my cars over the years and show me all of his hot rodding secrets. He was always a huge fan of drag racing. I will really miss him and right now I am still in shock over this. I was planning on adding FI to my ’99 in the near future and would have loved to have him there with me to help with the installation. It is just not the same without him. Good bye Uncle John. I wish you did not have to leave so soon.

Michael
Old 12-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Mike - my condolences to you and your family on the loss of your uncle. He really does sound like a car, and Corvette, enthusiast and obviously had a huge influence on your view of automobiles.

Cancer is such a terrible disease. His passing really puts a damper on your Christmas, that's for sure.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:12 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Thanks Jack. He was an awesome person.
Old 12-27-2014, 01:42 AM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Mike, so sorry for your loss. I'm sure that he's looking down on his family and is out of pain.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:13 AM
ZR-71
Team Owner

Received 84 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

So very sorry to hear of your Uncle John's passing Prayers for your family
You were obviously very close to him. I'm going to guess whenever you hear the Grateful Dead's song Uncle John's Band, you always think of him.
Here it is. I hope it's ok for you.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:27 AM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by moserbe
Mike, so sorry for your loss. I'm sure that he's looking down on his family and is out of pain.
Thanks Bruce, he is no longer in pain. Thinking back, he never even complained about his pain. Even when I asked him.
Originally Posted by ZR-71
So very sorry to hear of your Uncle John's passing Prayers for your family
You were obviously very close to him. I'm going to guess whenever you hear the Grateful Dead's song Uncle John's Band, you always think of him.
Here it is. I hope it's ok for you.

Grateful Dead - Uncle John's Band (Studio Version) - YouTube
Thanks, I was very close to him. That is a great song by the Dead with so many different interpretations and my favorite by them.

"Well the first days are the hardest days"

Get notified of new replies

To I will miss you Uncle John....

Quick Reply: I will miss you Uncle John....