Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello from the garlic capital

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2006, 06:02 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Hello from the garlic capital

I'm from Gilroy, CA and have been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks now. I have found this forum to be a great source for information. I'm doing my homework in preparation for a new 2006 or 2007 C6 purchase soon. I used to own a 1970 Corvette convertible with the LS-5 (454 c.i., 390 hp motor) back in the early 70's and now I think it's time to get back in the club.

Any feedback from other members in the Northern California area regarding dealer recommendations (or even more important, the ones to stay away from) would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:17 PM
Taxin
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Welcome as you already know there is alot of good information and helpful members here good luck
Old 12-11-2006, 09:12 PM
TN 2005 C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In VI, VII & XII Veteran
St Jude Donor '07-'08-'09

Welcome aboard. Something to think about might be use of a Corvette Forum Supporting Vendor for the purchase of your Corvette with a National Corvette Museum delivery. Just a thought.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 PM
Lady Vette
Pro

Hi Boat Racer, and welcome, hope you continue too enjoy yourself here.
Old 12-12-2006, 11:40 AM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Howdy Neighbor

Welcome to CF.
You are going to love the C6. I got mine at Courtesy in Morgan Hill.
Got an average discount for a car that I had built to my specs. I liked Guy Aki the vette guy there, my car was built and delivered in 5 weeks.
I too have not owned a vette since my 69 TT which I bought in 71 and sold five years later. I really was not turned on until the 05 C6 model came out. Then I knew it was time.
Enjoy your ride.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:00 PM
EPiC Vette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!

Be sure to check out the Northern California Section for upcoming events and Get Togethers (GTG's)!!!
Old 12-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Thank you for the warm welcome.

Thanks everyone for the nice warm welcome and the suggestions. EdCalVette, Hi neighbor!! Yeah, I too didn't get too excited over the new Corvettes between my '70 until recently when I saw and started reading about the new C6. Now I'm hooked again. I will check out Courtesy after I finish the research on what options I want. At this point I have pretty much decided to go with a 3LT coupe with A6 and either the Z-51 or F55 suspension. I'm still doing research on that. EpiC Vette, I will for sure check out the NorCal section for GTG's after I get my new car. Look forward to meeting you and the other NorCal members. Thanks again for the welcome.

Last edited by Boat Racer; 12-12-2006 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Update
Old 12-12-2006, 03:31 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09
Default I new here myself.

Originally Posted by Boat Racer
Thanks everyone for the nice warm welcome and the suggestions. EdCalVette, Hi neighbor!! Yeah, I too didn't get too excited over the new Corvettes between my '70 until recently when I saw and started reading about the new C6. Now I'm hooked again. I will check out Courtesy after I finish the research on what options I want. At this point I have pretty much decided to go with a 3LT coupe with A6 and either the Z-51 or F55 suspension. I'm still doing research on that. EpiC Vette, I will for sure check out the NorCal section for GTG's after I get my new car. Look forward to meeting you and the other NorCal members. Thanks again for the welcome.
I have really enjoyed the great feedback and advice I have recieved here on CF.
You are considering a car similar to mine. I have a 07 Z51 with 6mn.
I am really glad about all of it. I thought about the auto paddle a long while, considering my car is a daily driver (except rain). But this is a performance car and I am glad I got the 6mn and the Z51. I drove my ex girlfriend's 05 C6 coupe with auto and select ride and always thought it way to soft. So anyway thats my .02 worth. Enjoy your buying expierence and you won't regret it. Second gear at 6k is just some awesome...
Old 12-12-2006, 10:49 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Z51 vs. mag suspension

Yeah, I am concerned about the potential of too soft a ride with the F55 suspension. I need to see if I can find a dealer that will let me drive or give me a ride in both so I can compare. Some of the threads that I have been reading on this forum mention that on rough roads the Z-51 can "skip" a little in the corners where the mag suspension is more forgiving. I know we have some pretty rough roads in this area. Have you noticed any problems when in turns on bad roads with the Z51 set up?

Originally Posted by EdCalVette
I have really enjoyed the great feedback and advice I have recieved here on CF.
You are considering a car similar to mine. I have a 07 Z51 with 6mn.
I am really glad about all of it. I thought about the auto paddle a long while, considering my car is a daily driver (except rain). But this is a performance car and I am glad I got the 6mn and the Z51. I drove my ex girlfriend's 05 C6 coupe with auto and select ride and always thought it way to soft. So anyway thats my .02 worth. Enjoy your buying expierence and you won't regret it. Second gear at 6k is just some awesome...
Old 12-13-2006, 02:20 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Hi Neighbor,

I have driven my car on winding back foothill roads, no hopping or skip.
Also drive on concrete freeways, you'll feel the road in all cases, but I like knowing the feel.

I drove a Viper with race suspension up 280North and that car skipped and hopped. It took work to shift and keep both hands on steering wheel. It was a lot of fun but way too much work.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Old 12-13-2006, 09:43 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Hi Neighbor,

I have driven my car on winding back foothill roads, no hopping or skip.
Also drive on concrete freeways, you'll feel the road in all cases, but I like knowing the feel.

I drove a Viper with race suspension up 280North and that car skipped and hopped. It took work to shift and keep both hands on steering wheel. It was a lot of fun but way too much work.

Hope this helps.

Ed
Ed, thank you for the additional info on how your Z-51 suspension handles the local roads. I'm pretty sure that I will get that on my new car too.
Old 12-14-2006, 01:38 AM
vettestudent
Cruising

Try talking with George Duque at Sunnyvale Chevrolet. It's on El Camino logically north of Sarratoga Sunnyvale road. They had a lot of C6s on the lot

take care, VetteStudent, also in Morgan Hill.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:51 AM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Thank you

VS. Hello neighbor! Thank you for the tip. I will look up George and see what he has on the lot.
Old 12-14-2006, 02:40 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Hey Racer,
Keep in touch, talk with Guy at Courtesy in Morgan Hill. No promotion here, but I was well cared for in my own purchase. He will let you drive them, at Courtesy in San Jose, they only had one car they would let you drive (an auto). Let me know how you do. Lets get these cars together for a cruise. Oh Yeah!
Old 12-17-2006, 01:59 AM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Hey Racer,
Keep in touch, talk with Guy at Courtesy in Morgan Hill. No promotion here, but I was well cared for in my own purchase. He will let you drive them, at Courtesy in San Jose, they only had one car they would let you drive (an auto). Let me know how you do. Lets get these cars together for a cruise. Oh Yeah!
Ed, thanks for the info. I contacted Guy and dropped your name. He let me test drive a Z-51 A-6 coupe today. Very nice!!! He's going to let me know when he gets one in with the options that I want on it. After that, a cruise sounds great. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:35 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09
Default Nice boat and crew.

Glad your on your way. When you do buy have the car "new car detailed" by your own people. All these dealer wants to sell you a paint sealer package for $1,200 to $1,600. Insane, my guy detailed my new vette with wax, sealer and interior detail and scotch guard carpets for $325. And I know he did every part of that car, no misses.
I am glad you spoke with Guy. Buy where you feel its right for you.
Drop me a note when you get your ride and we'll hook up. Oh, I really like your boat and nice crew on board.
Enjoy...
Old 12-18-2006, 07:19 PM
08VelocityZ
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Hi and welcome from San Jose!

Welcome to the club. It'd be nice to hang out with other forum members, and vette owners, from the south bay. I live in south San Jose and bought my vette from Gilroy Cadillac Chevrolet. Worked with a great guy over there. Let me know if you want info.

Love my vette. My first vette was a 72 LT1. You'll love your new vette when you get it.

best,

07LeMans.

Get notified of new replies

To Hello from the garlic capital

Old 12-18-2006, 09:15 PM
istsme98
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Welcome
Old 12-18-2006, 10:09 PM
Boat Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Thank you

Thanks guys, for the welcomes and info. Ed, thanks for the thumbs up on the boat and crew. They were recruited for a calendar photoshoot over on the delta last year. Good point on the detailing. I hadn't thought of that. Do you use a detailer in Morgan Hill that you can recommend? I have used a small detailer (can't remember his name) in Morgan Hill on Monterey Highway south of the Post Office and on the other side of the street. Have you ever used that guy? Lemans, thanks for the tip on Gilroy Chevrolet. I haven't been by there yet. Who is the sales person that you liked? Look forward to meeting you for a GTG after I get my car.
Old 12-19-2006, 05:50 PM
EdCalVette
Racer

St. Jude Donor '09

Racer. I have used Thorpe Detail in Cambell. Really good.
I will be having some body work done by Advanced Auto Body in Morgan Hill and noticed his shop does detailing also. (Ohh. I ran over a cone at Thunderhill high performance driving school at 110MPH) Ouch!!
This shop has a good reputation, I'll be finding out for myself soon.
Look forward to seeing your ride.

Quick Reply: Hello from the garlic capital