Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for a Corvette??

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 01:37 AM
INTJ
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time for a Corvette??

I'm a former USAF pilot, former amateur drag racer; current corporate employee, amateur lead trumpet player, fly fisherman, hunter, and Duramax owner--all that and middle aged too.......

I live in a place where people come to vacation. Within a couple hours of my house there are all kind of cool things to see and do. A couple weeks I got to thinking how it would be neat to get a nice motorcycle and take my wife on day trips during the many nice days we have throughout the year. We both work quite a bit, in three years the youngest is off to college, and it seemed like a fun thing to do. I presented this to my wife and asked her to think about it.

A few hours later she said "we need a sports car." (She hates motorcycles. I think seeing that rider decapitated--through no fault of his own--left a lasting impression.) So I said "what, like a Corvette?" She said "Yes." I said "What about a Camaro?" She said "No." A Corvette or a Denali Acadia.

When we were married in 1987 I owned a '66 non-matching convertible with a hardtop. I got it 90% restored and sold it and bought a drag race car when I discovered I enjoyed making the 'vette go fast more than I liked restoring it. We took it on one trip and though I had upgraded the suspension, it was still a very primitive car.

Anyway, in the next year or two we'll have our second 'vette. Our budget will be under $40K, and I have already seen a lot of nice C6s for that amount. I would just as soon buy a 1LT car with fewer miles or a newer year, but my wife wants at least a 3LT...............so we'll get at least a 3LT. You don't make it to 27 years of marriage without knowing when to listen.

I want a nice touring car. I am not interested in getting sucked into street wars and who has the most HP. No matter how much HP I may build or how fast/quick I can go, there will always be MANY out there that will have a LOT more performance. I just want a nice handling 'vette that rides at least as smooth as my 2011 DMax--that's not a super high bar. Oh yeah, it better be quicker than my truck too. DMaxes set up like mine usually crack the 12's in the 1/4 mile. IIRC, a stock LS3 C6 should better that. All this performance is just for my own satisfaction as It's unlikely I'll ever take it to the track. I just want to take my wife out on nice days and enjoy life.

I will be doing a lot more reading and researching this site than posting. Being a crusty field grade officer, pilot, and INTJ; I am just not a good fit for most Internet forum discussions.
Old 09-05-2014, 08:41 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Welcome and good luck finding the car that will make you both happy
Old 09-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Crabbers
Le Mans Master

Received 116 Likes on 79 Posts

Good luck with your search & welcome to the forum

Thank you for your service
Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Eric ray
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome aboard, and good luck finding your C6.
Old 09-05-2014, 11:50 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome and a corvette is a long ways away from an Acadia. I have borrowed some from friends, and they are cool..if you had a family with a bunch of junk to carry. Just not much performance. The vette will be more fun.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:10 PM
INTJ
Advanced

Thanks for the welcome. With the wife, performance is not as important as bells and whistles--as she will tell you. She would be as happy with a Denali Acadia. We've already had an Acadia one trim level lesser than the Denali. I didn't like it--squirrelly handling. She currently has a Terrain and would also be happy with the Denali version of that.

However, she completely gets having a 'vette, but she wants all the bells and whistles.
Old 09-05-2014, 01:41 PM
wkidvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to the forum!!
Old 09-06-2014, 01:12 AM
2010BlueGS
Melting Slicks

Welcome to the forum from So Cal !!!
Old 09-06-2014, 08:12 AM
guappy
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum
Old 09-10-2014, 01:53 PM
davidf59
Burning Brakes

Received 81 Likes on 38 Posts

Welcome to the forum from MN and good luck with your search.

Thank you for your service.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:02 PM
INTJ
Advanced

I have been doing a lot of lurking here as I research. I have to say I am impressed by the civility. Guys will argue and disagree, but everyone is quick to make sure they haven't offended anyone. In several other forums I used to frequent, that wasn't the case.

Get notified of new replies

To Time for a Corvette??