Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another Newb

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 10:50 AM
73racevette
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Another Newb

I just purchased a 73 vette that needs some attention. I have built many cars, so that is no problem. I am however new to the entire Corvette world. Joined here to get some info, etc.

My first newb question is this. I purchased a 73 vette that has a race history. Nobody special raced it, but it is a full out race vette. Trying to decide right now to restore it back to original or back to a street legal race vehicle.

What say you?? Thanks for the responses, looking forward to being an active member.
Attached Images  
Old 01-12-2016, 11:41 AM
JKHolman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ...

The C3 is my favourite style Corvette. Especially the sugar scoop rear window.
My vote is go street legal in canary yellow.

- JKHolman
Old 01-12-2016, 12:03 PM
Roscoe
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:29 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome from a '72 owner!

I would decide how you want to use it first, and go from there. Are you going to be at the track a lot? Are you going to cruise around more?

Consider the efforts for funding the build (either way), time to build it (either way), and what pros and cons for both.

From there, have fun with your car!
Old 01-12-2016, 12:51 PM
73racevette
Pro

The thought right now is street legal either way. Engine (454) is not numbers matching, so full original resto is not an option. The choice for me right now is an original looking vette or a street legal race vehicle (ie number on the side, etc, but street legal).

Don't see myself at the track that much, mostly want it as a fun toy to drive around town.

Wondering about the value and/or desirability of each option a bit as well.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2016, 01:26 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

I have a 1970 Ford Mustang, former drag car, 428 Cobra Jet with an 871 blower, C6 auto. I did not see myself restoring it to "NCRS" standards for a Mustang as it had been cut up a few times. So I also didn't see myself restoring back to the drag car it was, as I don't live near a strip. The closest one is hours away. So I went for a restored, sleeper, somewhat original looking, yet completely modified. Everything that has been done to the car is modded. The only part of the car that I have not touch and done modifications was the roof. I did fix a few things on it, but everything else was modified to some extent. I am still working on the car.

As far as your Corvette goes, it is all up to you on what you do with it. I do like that you are going to turn it into a street car again. With a C3, you either want an original car, or you don't. You will find there are two different markets for them too, if re sale is ever desired. Resale for a C3 of an original condition tends to bring the most money. However, some modded cars can bring the same amounts, or more. It all depends, however, modded cars that are over done never bring much money. I think you will have a cool, desirable '73 when it is finished. If you kept the current theme, tweaked it a little, and just refreshed it; it will be a hot car.

Here are a few pictures of the Mustang.

Old 01-12-2016, 01:30 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Good news is that if your birdcage and frame are solid, no rust will need to be fixed. I spent 2.5 years replacing the bottom end of the car.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:46 PM
JKHolman
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default ...

That's a pretty blue Mustang, Brandon.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:14 PM
73racevette
Pro

Thanks Brandon. Nice Mustang.

Am leaning towards a clean looking, modified car. 600ish hp 454, upgraded suspension that is on it refreshed, with the l88 hood that is on it and everything else brought back to somewhat stock look. The front urethane bumper has been removed on it, not sure yet if I am going to put that back or just leave the glass bumperless front.

Seems resale on that setup (if I ever go there) would be close but slightly less than a completely stock vehicle.

Last edited by 73racevette; 01-12-2016 at 02:15 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Sounds like a good plan. It should look good once it is done. Thanks, the Mustang isn't finished. It is just a shell. I have everything, but progress is slow.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:22 PM
73racevette
Pro

How important is the urethane bumper for resale?
Putting it back will have to include a complete front clip. Ugh. Leaving the glass front end will just include some sanding and a set of grills.

The look is very close either way, but without the bumper it is obviously that much farther away from stock.
Old 01-12-2016, 04:57 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Well personally I prefer not having the urethane bumper, as they will crack, split, and get wavy. The previous owner probably experienced that, and just fiberglassed the front bumper. Many '73's on here have that modification done, as well as many '73-'82 C3's. Resale shouldn't be effected too much. Personally, it cleans up some of the body lines. The '68-'72's have their front ends done that way. So it just makes it look sleeker. While not original, most wouldn't be able to tell this. If you're trying to sell it, it goes back to the two different markets for C3's, or any Corvette. Those who want original cars, and those that want modified cars. Those who want modified cars, most likely want this modification done. So I would look at it as a plus, as now you don't have to do it yourself and you wont have to replace the older broken bumpers.

Last edited by Brandons72vette; 01-12-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:00 PM
73racevette
Pro

That is good news. I actually like the way it looks without the urethane bumper. It is much cleaner than the stock setup and wont be wavy at all, but then it is not stock obviously.

Thanks for the replies. Definitely appreciate it.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:08 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JKHolman
That's a pretty blue Mustang, Brandon.
Thank you! It has not been easy to get it to where it is today, sadly it still is not a finished car. It has been 7 years building the car, of course 2.5 of getting to metal work down. The attention to detail is very high, and so like building a very detailed model or diorama, it just takes a lot of time to nail perfection. Everyone who sees the car is amazed at how great it looks, only to reveal that the car is just a shell. I am on electrical and interior work on it right now. I have been building interior trim for the car from scratch, as somethings you just can't find. Anyways, thanks for liking the car.
Old 01-12-2016, 05:14 PM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 73racevette
That is good news. I actually like the way it looks without the urethane bumper. It is much cleaner than the stock setup and wont be wavy at all, but then it is not stock obviously.

Thanks for the replies. Definitely appreciate it.

You're welcome! Yeah, the front and rear bumpers of many C3's are fiberglassed like this. Many purists prefer it, but a lot more people these days are fiberglassing their bumpers. I am sure that if you venture through the C3 threads, you'll find many cars that have their's done this way. Really, nothing that I would worry about. You might even start a thread in the C3 section asking CF C3 members to post their cars that have had their bumpers done that way. I think you will find some pretty cool cars, and it might give you ideas on what you could do with yours.
Old 01-13-2016, 07:01 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

welcome to the forum!
Old 01-13-2016, 09:39 AM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Welcome aboard!

Get notified of new replies