Corroded Front Rims on CE ZO6

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 09:17 PM
DakotaVette
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Corroded Front Rims on CE ZO6

Ken, I have a 2004 Commemorative Edition ZO6 with less than 5000 miles on it. My polished aluminum front wheels are showing some corrosion on the rims. They look like specks of pepper. I have used almost every kind of wax, cleaner wax, and rim polish to get rid of these and have not been successful. The corrosion is apparently caused by brake dust. Have you heard anything about whether GM is going to warranty these rims or is it a lost cause?
Old 07-28-2005, 10:18 AM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Hello,

Thanks for your post and question.

Here's the information directly from GM:

Info - Pitting and Brake Dust on Chrome Wheels #04-03-10-012 - (Sep 14, 2004)
Pitting and Brake Dust on Chrome Wheels
2005 and Prior GM Cars and Trucks

2003-2005 HUMMER H2

Analysis of Returned Wheels
Chrome wheels returned under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty for pitting concerns have recently been evaluated. This condition is usually most severe in the vent (or window) area of the front wheels. This "pitting" may actually be brake dust that has been allowed to accumulate on the wheel. The longer this accumulation builds up, the more difficult it is to remove.

Cleaning the Wheels
In all cases, the returned wheels could be cleaned to their original condition using GM Vehicle Care Cleaner Wax, P/N 12377966 (in Canada, P/N 10952905). When using this product, you should confine your treatment to the areas of the wheel that show evidence of the brake dust build-up. This product is only for use on chromed steel or chromed aluminum wheels.

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

(in Canada, 10952905)
GM Vehicle Care Cleaner Wax 16 fl oz (.473 L)

Warranty Information
Wheel replacement for this condition is NOT applicable under the terms of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:37 PM
DakotaVette
Instructor

Default Corroded Front Rims on CE ZO6

Thank you for the inforation; however, I have seen this TB and if I am reading it correctly, it applies to chrome wheels. The wheels on the Commemorative Edition ZO6 are brushed aluminum, not chrome. I did try the GM cleaning wax but that did not clean as well as some of the other products I have tried. I would be interested in what GM would say about the corrosion on brushed aluminum wheels.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:52 AM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

Hello,

The information that I posted is all that GM has published on this issue. I would advise that you visit your local dealer for assistance. They can call GM on your behalf and request replacement. At that point you will have your answer.

Have a great day,
Ken Fichtner
Old 07-29-2005, 11:35 PM
hub_cap
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DakotaVette
Thank you for the inforation; however, I have seen this TB and if I am reading it correctly, it applies to chrome wheels. The wheels on the Commemorative Edition ZO6 are brushed aluminum, not chrome. I did try the GM cleaning wax but that did not clean as well as some of the other products I have tried. I would be interested in what GM would say about the corrosion on brushed aluminum wheels.
Mine are corroding also, I'm headed to the dealer to see what they will do.
Z16 #174/2025
Old 07-30-2005, 09:37 AM
DakotaVette
Instructor

Thanks for the reply Ken. I did talk to my dealer and was provided with the same technical bulletin. I believe that since there are so few CE ZO6s with the brushed aluminum wheels, that there has not been any widespread questions about the corrosion. Thanks again for the reply.

Get notified of new replies

To Corroded Front Rims on CE ZO6

Quick Reply: Corroded Front Rims on CE ZO6