06041D - Safety Recall - Body-Color Roof Adhesive Separation

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Received 1,156 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by racerboyroy
Thanks for the reply. Yes the panel was on a service record but all it says is " 19152840 panel " I really enjoy driving this car but the roof makes popping noises like described in the recall. I really dont want to spend half the day at the dealer to find out.
thanks again for the reply
roy
The popping noises could be the latching system on a targa roof coupe. There is a GM TSB to fix what owners usually describe as squeeks coming from the roof. Involves changing to upgraded hardware where the roof latches lock on to the body structure. Maybe yours is so bad that it is popping. Would be worthwhile having a dealer check it out.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:26 PM
JTimmerman
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Confused

I have the Dual Top option and have for the most part used the transparent top since the solid was "fix" with adhesive under the previous recall. I doubt it has seperated sitting in the garage. Does this mean they won't replace it? When I put the solid top back on, I don't want it to be subject to separating
Old 01-11-2010, 07:17 AM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by JTimmerman
...... I doubt it has seperated sitting in the garage. Does this mean they won't replace it? ......
Failure of the adhesive is a function of time, heat and humidity so it has not likely deteriorated to a significant extent while in storage in your garage. But damage can certainly accumulate quickly if you start using the painted top. My VY top while not removable by the owner has lived in the home garage or the office garage its entire four year life and the car only exposed to sun while driving yet it started to finally separate last November. Dark colors will absorb more of the sun's radiant energy than a light color such as VY but all of the colors are subject to separate with time.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:17 PM
dkal70
Racer

I took my car to the dealer today to have the roof inspected and see if it would be covered under the recall.
My roof will be repaired under the recall, thanks to everyone for their help.
Old 01-12-2010, 07:39 PM
goingdownhill
Instructor

According to NHTSA today, the recall "should" start by the end of January.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:33 AM
dkal70
Racer

I picked up my 06 Z06 from Mac Haik yesterday, and I'm thrilled to report that they did a excellent job on the roof replacement and detailed my car...
Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 PM
GOLD72
Race Director

Originally Posted by dkal70
I picked up my 06 Z06 from Mac Haik yesterday, and I'm thrilled to report that they did a excellent job on the roof replacement and detailed my car...
Thanks for the report and I am glad to hear that Russell and the guys at MH were able to replace the roof to your satisfaction.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM
racerboyroy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GOLD72
The popping noises could be the latching system on a targa roof coupe. There is a GM TSB to fix what owners usually describe as squeeks coming from the roof. Involves changing to upgraded hardware where the roof latches lock on to the body structure. Maybe yours is so bad that it is popping. Would be worthwhile having a dealer check it out.
Thanks for the info

Quick Reply: 06041D - Safety Recall - Body-Color Roof Adhesive Separation