Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Vacationing in Denver

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 08:47 AM
Booger789
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Vacationing in Denver

Will be there week of 4 of july, will be catching a rockies game so I can mark that stadium off my Bucket list. what else is fun to do and what should we see. thanks to all that give their time!!!! we are 40 somethings so we are still pretty mobile and agile!
Old 06-14-2018, 03:39 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Drive 1 hour west of Denver and visit Breckenridge. I think you can rent a mountain bike and take a ski lift up and then ride the bike down the mountain, I think they also have a mountain slide. On the way back to Denver take the road less traveled through Dillon and go by A Basin ski area and over Arapahoe pass to meet up with I-70.
Lots of beautiful places west of Denver.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:49 PM
Mcrider
Le Mans Master

Received 1,038 Likes on 400 Posts

Central City to Estes Park, incredible drive!!!
Old 06-17-2018, 02:24 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Look up Looking Glass Corvette Club, 4C Corvette club, Denver South Corvettes on Facebook, Denver Corvettes North on Facebook, Colorado Springs Corvette Club and Top of the Rockies Corvette Clubs as one of us might have a ride that day that you can partake in, but contact them first. Good groups of car owners and most of us know the roads to take your car on as well that are save.

If you get in before Sunday and would like to take a drive with about 20 of us we are starting in Lakewood, just SW of Denver, up to Evergreen, to Bailey, to Guanella Pass Road, to Lookout Pass Road, to Breckenridge and back to Denver. PM ME and I can get you the details for this ride if you would like to go.

Central City Drive from Denver to Central City to Nederland to Boulder is a good ride good roads

Mount Evans Drive is good from Idaho Springs to Mount Evans to Evergreen back to Denver Good Roads

Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs Good Roads
Hwy 6 or Lookout Pass Road from Loveland Ski area to Keystone Ski Area to Breckenridge ski area. Good Highways.

Glenwood Canyon on I-70 from Denver to Glenwood to Aspen over Independence Pass is a spectacular ride. Independence Pass could be challenging if you do not like heights or roads without guard rails on them, but it is beautiful. I prefer to go from Leadville to Independence Pass and down into Aspen then Glenwood back to Denver. If you chose this one my wife and I might go also if you want to have someone on the trail with you.
It all depends what you are looking to do while you are in Denver on which rides you might take in or events.

Let me know if you have a certain need or want and I can reach out to a number of Corvette folks and hook you up with some great people if you are looking to hang out or drive.

PM if you want google maps or just basic information.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:10 PM
RadfordVette
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recommend going to the top of Pikes Peak or Mt. Evans, both very close to Denver. Nothing quite like being at 14,000+!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:33 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Mcrider
Central City to Estes Park, incredible drive!!!

That's a great drive, and a full day if you stop in Estes Park for some shopping and food.

Last edited by RAMMAN; 06-20-2018 at 08:34 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:02 AM
SSWEET
Race Director

Received 212 Likes on 134 Posts

Check out Red Rocks Park.
Old 06-28-2018, 08:56 PM
Booger789
Instructor

Thanks guys we will be arriving Sunday.
Old 06-28-2018, 09:31 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Wife and I went last 4th of July. Had a great time. DROVE up to the top of Mount Evans ( I cussed most of the way since I don't like heights). Beautiful views. We were there on July 3rd and there were snow flurries on the top...LOL!
https://www.denver.org/things-to-do/...o/mount-evans/

Go to Denver Biscuit Company...…..the best damn biscuits in the world.
https://denbisco.com/

We went and at at the oldest restaurant in Denver with state liquor lic No 1. The Buckhorn Exchange is really neat and has a lot of stuffed critters all over so if the wife doesn't like stuffed critters you may want to pass. Get reservations if you do. I had a rattlesnake appetizer and a really good steak!
http://www.buckhorn.com/

We also went to Buffalo Bill's gravesite on top of Lookout Mountain. Great views!

Also Redrock Amptheatre is really neat.

Then there's the mint, get there real early cause they sell out fast. We didn't arrive early and missed all the tours....sucks!

Many other things. Have fun.

OLE442

Last edited by OLE442; 06-30-2018 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:59 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,699 Likes on 1,213 Posts

A ball game. That's about all there is to do in Colorado.
Old 07-10-2018, 02:06 PM
colo63sw
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 72 Posts

Well Booger; how was your visit to Colo?
Old 07-10-2018, 02:30 PM
Booger789
Instructor

I have to say I had a blast. weather was warm but cooled off evenings and the lack of humidity was absolutely delightful. summer in Oklahoma is what I call swamp *** weather. Did the Buffalo Bill thing on Lookout Mountain, did the Coors Tour and drank mine and my wife's share of the beer. drove Coal creek canyon, did the Garden of the Gods, and the air force academy. You all have a very nice state, and I will be returning. Ate at some really nice restaurants cant remember names off top of my head. All in All I had a wonderful time on this vacation. it is the first time I have had a vacation between June and August in almost 20 years. I am an HVAC contractor and those are our busiest months and its hard to get away. I did not even take a cell Phone with me. probably the best vacation I have ever had just by leaving that little contraption at home.
Old 07-10-2018, 03:11 PM
OLE442
Safety Car

Location: Way too effing close to the city.......NRA Life Member!
Received 269 Likes on 173 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I am an HVAC contractor and those are our busiest months and its hard to get away.
My son is in commercial HVAC and that is what got him to Denver. He went out to see an old girlfriend and looked around and put in some applications. Maybe a year later, he got a call from one of them, flew out, interviewed and they made him a really great offer with moving expenses paid. WE moved him out and he rented an apartment in a turn of the century apartment in Denver proper. His girlfriend moved out a year later and they moved to Longmont (N of Denver). They love to go camping, hiking 4X4ing and enjoy the many food establishments. When he moved, he said he'd move back here someday but now, I don't think that's going to happen!! I'm glad you enjoyed your trip!

Get notified of new replies

To Vacationing in Denver

Quick Reply: Vacationing in Denver