CF members and Carlisle

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2010, 10:55 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Default CF members and Carlisle

I need some input. A brief history:

For the past 8 years or so, the CF clan has tried to get together at the Corvettes at Carlisle event. It seems to revolve around two specifics... a group photo, and a group dinner.

Over the years the participation has dropped off. So I gotta ask... is it worth it to try and get the group together this year there ?

Group Photo
Originally the group photo was held Saturday in front of the grandstands (between the grandstands and the stage). I can remember 40-55 CF members gathering for that photo early on.

Then it was mentioned that some were there only on Friday; so we setup an additional group photo Friday:

Even the legendary PeterK showed up !!!

the Vette Chicks would have a similar GTG:

Group Dinner
This was held Friday evening; setup by a forum member that either lived in the area... or knew the area well enough to get us a section at a local restaurant for our CF group:

So, what's the point ??? Participation has slowly dropped off over the years. Last year we had 4-5 show for the Friday Group Photo... about 10-15 for the Saturday pic. And we didn't bother with a dinner GTG either.

I know that all good things eventually come to an end; is it time to end the CF Get-To-Gether at Carlisle? We can't ask persons to step forward and set these events up if there's not enough people attending to make it worthwhile.

I need your input on this; please address the two aspects seperately

1. Group Photo
* still do it; or has it's time passed ?
* Is Saturday still the best day? (we've had these at 12:30pm)

2. Group Dinner
* still do it; or has it's time passed? This has generally been held on Friday evening.
For Saturday evening - a lot of national Corvette Groups have their dinners/banquets on that night - this is why the CF dinner was held on Friday evening... to increase attendance.

What does CF think; if you're there but missed these in the past, what were the reasons (bad timing on the day/time selected?)

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 07-01-2010 at 11:27 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,944 Likes on 4,783 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

to be honest I like the idea of the group photo but with that all that goes on in the day I forget about and loose track of time. so maybe if we can get Lance to announce it over the speakers we can remember to show up
Old 07-01-2010, 11:17 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

I like the idea. It's always interesting to meet people face to face who you've only known through handles and avatars.

We were at Carlisle all three days last year, but frankly, this is the first I heard of either the group photo or group dnner. We did not see any publicity about this, even though we stopped by the CF tent and bought a raffle ticket.

BTW, maybe an onsite gruup lunch might do better at attracting folks than group dinner for severa reasons.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:20 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Well Im definitely making it this year, even bought 2 Corvette Forum tee shirts so I will be recognized as a member..(I got Pete K one also as a gift for building me that smoking 383). Don't give up on the photos or the dinner yet..Maybe you can start a list of people that will commit to showing up and participating in either the photos, the dinner, or both...I will be there on Saturday so whatever you have setup for that day, count me in.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 07-01-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:21 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

I've been aware of the get togethers in the past but as a vendor it's just about impossible to get away during the day to do or see anything. The same is true of the dinners, I'm often still on the field till 7 or so. Some day I'd like to participate, but at Corvettes @ Carlisle, it just hasn't been practicle for me to do so, in the past.
Old 07-01-2010, 11:23 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

this is EXACTLY the input that's needed.

The CF photo and dinners were gatherings put on by volunteer forum members... not "officially" sanctioned. Though CF generally doesn't have a booth there; last year was an exception.

I know I've announced the group pic and dinner each year for the past 6-7 years; in the national section of the forum... as well as each sections (C1-C6) General area, and Off Topic as well. I certainly can make more of an effort to get the word out
Old 07-01-2010, 11:25 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WW7
..Maybe you can start a list of people
I've done just that for a number of years, but not the last two. I guess it helped; and I will gladly get an attendee list going again for 2010.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:30 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I must have missed at least 5 or so group photos... I just lose track of time (and place) and miss it. But... do you have a higher resolution pic of that first shot? What year was that? Trying to figure out if that is ME in the middle!
Old 07-02-2010, 12:22 AM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Originally Posted by PRNDL
... do you have a higher resolution pic of that first shot? What year was that? Trying to figure out if that is ME in the middle!
this is all I have, I think it was 2003 ???

http://www.tim-yvonne.com/temp/cfgroup4.jpg

and

http://www.tim-yvonne.com/temp/cf_pic1.jpeg

(the second pic may be from a different year)

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 07-02-2010 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:45 AM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
this is EXACTLY the input that's needed.

The CF photo and dinners were gatherings put on by volunteer forum members... not "officially" sanctioned. Though CF generally doesn't have a booth there; last year was an exception.

I know I've announced the group pic and dinner each year for the past 6-7 years; in the national section of the forum... as well as each sections (C1-C6) General area, and Off Topic as well. I certainly can make more of an effort to get the word out
a sticky post with suitable title like "CF photo shoot / dinner at Carlisle" would do the trick. i missed your posts last year, being a noob and not knowing any better.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:54 AM
Stewart Allison
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hold a wet T shirt competition and I'll show my face LOL. It sounds like you could be flogging that Do you have a stand there. That would get people dropping in and saying hello ? You could poach a few that way ! It's my first time there this year and I haven't a clue what goes on. Can't bloody wait holidays Stewy
Old 07-02-2010, 07:10 AM
C5kid
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

How bout go-kart racing down the street from fair grounds?
Old 07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I've been aware of the get togethers in the past but as a vendor it's just about impossible to get away during the day to do or see anything. The same is true of the dinners, I'm often still on the field till 7 or so. Some day I'd like to participate, but at Corvettes @ Carlisle, it just hasn't been practicle for me to do so, in the past.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
Holy crap! That's an old-*** photo of the ex-wife and I.
Old 07-02-2010, 08:37 AM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Mike-

The event magazine hasn't gone to print yet, but we're getting close to the deadline. Let me know if you'd like for me to put something into our schedule of events. If so, I'll be sure to get it handled on our end. Just let me know the time you plan on having the picture taken.

Life is good,

Lance
Old 07-02-2010, 08:47 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,408 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I still ike the idea. A picture takes 5 minutes, I'm sure that's not going to interupt anyone's day at Carlisle..
My problem is that I only attend Friday. One day of Carlisle is plenty for me..
If you do it this year on Friday, I'll certainly stop by.
Old 07-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Ultimate ride
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm planning on being there on Friday and would enjoy meeting the folks on the forum
I somehow missed the CF booth last year.

Get notified of new replies

To CF members and Carlisle

Old 07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Pete K
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

My problem is that I forget about the picture and dinner, but remember immediately after it happens.

I would be up for the dinner as well. Friday or saturday.
Reminding everyone to upload it to their microsoft calendars could help too, and that is my intention this year. This way, the 15 minute chime will remind me.

Last edited by Pete K; 07-02-2010 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 AM
JW3101
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-‘17-‘18

Re: Group Photo - I think it's great and wished I had known about it. I have been going to Carlisle almost every year since 1987.

I think the picture should be on Saturday (due to late arrivals) and has to be publicized and announced as others have said.

Re: Group Dinner - Saturday would be better, but I understand the reason for Friday. I would go either way. Once again, announce and publicize.

That was a nice offer by Lance Miller - if we have it in the program, more may show up.

It might be a good idea to post a poll of who plans on attending photo and/or dinner to get an idea.

I know some of my club members are forum members and will pass the info. along.

Either way, I'm in!

If I can do anything to help, let me know.

Last edited by JW3101; 07-02-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:25 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I enjoy the group picture thing. It’s nice to meet the faces behind the monikers. We are there both Friday & Saturday A dinner meet and greet is difficult for us as Friday we always go to the C5/6 registry dinner and Sat we normally team up with distant friends for a dinner and serious session.

Will be glad to say hi to any CF people there! Dave

Quick Reply: CF members and Carlisle