Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

NY. I got ripped off and need advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 01:44 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default NY. I got ripped off and need advice

I live on the West Coast. I had purchased a laptop in Jan. on Ebay from a person name GENE M TIMOTHY, that lives in Wyoming, New York. My local police and Ebay tells me to contact IC3. I have already filled 3 complaints in the last 2 months with IC3 and no reply. Seems nobody really cares. What happen to the Justice in the Country? I need advice on how I can do something about this. I can't let this low life get away with this. I am about ready to buy an airplane ticket and go beat the crap out of this jerk. But with my luck, I would be the one getting into trouble then while this scum gets away with my $1585.00
Old 03-24-2007, 01:47 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Take them to small claims court.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:03 PM
RED99
Safety Car

IS that possible living out of State. I call my local court and they said they couldn't do it here.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

Just my .02

Always use Pay Pal on Ebay purchases, and use the "Other Options" that lets you use your CC thru paypal, instead of your bank account.

I got ripped off and I filed complaints with everyone on earth. All I gat back was machine generated emails stating that it was being looked into, nothing else.

Then I called my CC company, they withheld payment from Pay Pal and credited my account for the amount lost. Pay Pal then had to deal with the seller for reimbursement.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:03 PM
MichaelB
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Wayne88
Just my .02

Always use Pay Pal on Ebay purchases, and use the "Other Options" that lets you use your CC thru paypal, instead of your bank account.

I got ripped off and I filed complaints with everyone on earth. All I gat back was machine generated emails stating that it was being looked into, nothing else.

Then I called my CC company, they withheld payment from Pay Pal and credited my account for the amount lost. Pay Pal then had to deal with the seller for reimbursement.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:36 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I had a problem about a year or so ago with PayPal and they were useless.
I bought a Laptop Battery on-line from a place in California and never got it. My first hint should have been the lack of a telephone number for the merchant. Any reputable merchant should at least have some sort of live contact information.
I sent the guy several e-mails and he kept responding that he had sent it and it was no longer his problem. I complained to PayPal and they responded by telling me that the merchant claimed he sent the battery and that it was now my problem.
On the rare occasion that I use e-bay any more I try to stick with merchants that accept credit cards directly so that I have some recourse in the event of a problem. I will very rarely buy something from a private seller, but not until I actually speak to them on the telephone and then I usually send them a money order for the item to their home address. I like to have some sort of trail for where I send my money.
I do buy from private sellers a lot less than I used to because of all the scam artists running around.
I never use PayPal anymore.
Short of jumping on a plane or trying to find someone to bang on the guys door, I'm afraid you might be SOL.
Old 03-24-2007, 04:17 PM
SteveDoten
Le Mans Master

Received 160 Likes on 125 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran

find the individual and punch them in the throat, if people are afraid to work they need to be weeded out of society

of course, just that's just IMHO
Old 03-24-2007, 04:24 PM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

I'm thinking that since the guy is in NY you could just spend some more $$ and get him "knocked off" It would make me feel better.

I would try to research the hell out of him, contact his local PD and see what they say. I don't think your going to get anywhere with Paypal or a CC.

If you have to get a plane ticket and go to his state, do it. Make him look like a Biatchh and get your money back. It's simply PRINCIPLE NOW!!

Wow now I'm mad about it!!
Old 03-24-2007, 05:22 PM
RED99
Safety Car

The seller requested a money order or cashiers check only. I should have ran away then. But he had a perfect feedback. I got a weird E-mail from Ebay a couple days after sending payment saying the sellers account had been tampered. I did a stop payment, but I was too late, the seller had already deposited it. Then I got a e-mail from Ebay saying it was a mistake. Anyway, after giving him my phone number, he called me to explain things. He told me he sells things on Ebay, and when the buyers send him the money, he then purchases it from a 3rd party and has it shipped to the buyer directly. Being just a middleman. He claims his supplier ripped him off. (Funny, it was my money, so how did he get ripped off?) Then he told me he doesn't have the money to refund me. He made like he would send me a little money at a time. Still after nearly 3 months not a damn penny and now he won't even talk to me. I think he has discovered that he can get away with this because it looks like our wonderful legal system isn't going to do anything, and is taking the money and running.
I'm not ever going to let this go. Sooner or later, one way or another, I will get payback. I may not ever get my money, but I will get something. I was really hoping that I could do something legally to him. That way I can't get in troub for my own personal action. But I am running out of faith on that.
Old 03-24-2007, 05:51 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Wyoming New York seems to be a little town without a police department. Anyone know what police department I would contact?
I also have thought about posting personal notices in newspapers, etc.. I think this guy does roofing. Maybe I can screw up his business reputation and run customers away until he pays me.
Old 03-24-2007, 07:46 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by RED99
IS that possible living out of State. I call my local court and they said they couldn't do it here.
Sure it is, look it up online and do some reasearch. YOu can sue up to $4k

http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/re...mallclaims.pdf

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=f...bute&formID=33

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=3.66.040

(5) An action against a nonresident of this state, including an action arising under the provisions of chapter 19.190 RCW, may be brought in any district where service of process may be had, or in which the cause of action or some part thereof arose, or in which the plaintiff or one of them resides.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=19.190

Last edited by Humanoid 2.0; 03-24-2007 at 07:57 PM.
Old 03-24-2007, 08:47 PM
fallen
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
Sure it is, look it up online and do some reasearch. YOu can sue up to $4k

http://www.courts.wa.gov/newsinfo/re...mallclaims.pdf

http://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=f...bute&formID=33

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=3.66.040

(5) An action against a nonresident of this state, including an action arising under the provisions of chapter 19.190 RCW, may be brought in any district where service of process may be had, or in which the cause of action or some part thereof arose, or in which the plaintiff or one of them resides.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=19.190
I'm not so sure a WA ct would have personal jurisdiction at all, but what do I know?
Old 03-24-2007, 11:39 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

I sent you a couple of PM's with some info. Hope it helps you out.

Last edited by JVM225; 03-24-2007 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:56 AM
RED99
Safety Car

Originally Posted by NYSPC5
Red I am going into work tonight at midnight. I will see what the local state police barracks is there and pm you a contact number tomorrow morning.

Thanks bud. I'm not sure if it could be done, but if I could just get an officer to go out to his house and talk with him, (even off duty) that might put a little motivation in him to do the right thing.
I appreciate all the help. Maybe there is hope.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:02 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JVM225
I sent you a couple of PM's with some info. Hope it helps you out.
I got your PM's. Thanks. I want to thank everyone for the info, links, help and support. That's what makes this Forum such a great place. Hopefully I can shake his tree a little now.

Jim
Old 03-25-2007, 12:09 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fallen
I'm not so sure a WA ct would have personal jurisdiction at all, but what do I know?

A called the Vancouver, WA court house and the the lady read to me directly from the book, and it said that the defendant has to live in State. So I think I would have to file a small claims in New York. Which means I would probably have to fly there. And even if I win, that doens't mean he will pay. I'm not sure if I could get his wages garnished or not. I'm hoping with some information I got, that maybe I can motivate him. Anybody have any info on his employment, that might help too. I want to become the biggest pest in his life, so he will want to pay me back just to get rid of me.
Old 03-25-2007, 01:42 PM
sgreen4067
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why don't you post all his info, like his ebay user name, real name, address, and phone #. maybe one of us can take a ride there, or will have alex set up an event and show up as a group.. !!! i'm in. I hate scum bags...

Get notified of new replies

To NY. I got ripped off and need advice

Old 03-25-2007, 07:03 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sgreen4067
why don't you post all his info, like his ebay user name, real name, address, and phone #. maybe one of us can take a ride there, or will have alex set up an event and show up as a group.. !!! i'm in. I hate scum bags...

His Ebay user name is (was) "duhaas88". But Ebay shows he is not registered anymore and shows him private now. ( I like the way Ebay protects crooked sellers)

This is the info on his Ebay account.
Gene M Timothy
PO BOX 226
Wyoming, NY 14591
United States
(716) 478-4745

From the intell I have gathered, it looks like he is living with his parents. This is the addres I have which is probably his parents addy. I would rather leave his parents name out of this, since they are not the ones that owes me.

6064 Rowley Rd.
Wyoming, NY. 14591
585-495-6516

Anything I can do to make his life miserable (legally), I want to do. Anything you guys can think off, please let me know. I really....really....really appreciate all of your help and support.

Last edited by RED99; 03-25-2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
TryNkeepUp
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

His Ebay user name is (was) "duhaas88". But Ebay shows he is not registered anymore and shows him private now. ( I like the way Ebay protects crooked sellers)

Gene M Timothy
PO BOX 226
Wyoming, NY 14591
United States
(716) 478-4745

From the intell I have gathered, it looks like he is living with his parents. This is the addres I have which is probably his parents addy. I would rather leave his parents name out of this, since they are not the ones that owes me.

6064 Rowley Rd.
Wyoming, NY. 14591
585-344-6200

Anything I can do to make his life miserable (legally), I want to do. Anything you guys can think off, please let me know. I really....really....really appreciate all of your help and support.
I might be able to help you get more information on this guy.....just based on the above information - let me put his name through my system when I get to work tomorrow......I'll PM you with whatever I find
Old 03-25-2007, 08:39 PM
JVM225
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '06

Gene M Timothy
PO BOX 226
Wyoming, NY 14591
United States
(716) 478-4745

6064 Rowley Rd.
Wyoming, NY. 14591
585-344-6200

Double check the phone number I gave you, its different than the one you posted.

Quick Reply: NY. I got ripped off and need advice